The music of Chuck Berry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The music of Chuck Berry

So last night i was texting with a group of 8 friends (my "regular" texting group). We have been friends for 30 plus years. We all love music and discuss it constantly.

I texted to them that I was listening to Chuck Berry and every single one of them said that they never or hardly ever listen to his music! Well you could have knocked me over with a feather! I mean these guys are music lovers and they never listen to Chuck! A few even said his music is BORING!! And sound the same....yeah his songs all sound the same...AWESOME!!

Now i know many of you guys here are music lovers extraordinaire and you gotta love Chuck Berry, right?

How the hell is Johnny B Goode boring? Or Sweet Little Sixteen boring???
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I like a lot of the 50's music. But, at the same time, the lower sound quality of the studio recordings made back then can be a turnoff for me. A lot of those artists sound so much better in live concert recordings from the 70's & 80's.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I can see what they're saying. I like Chuck Berry too -- as well as a handful of other 1950s and early 1960s artists -- but hardly ever listen to their stuff.

Comment

I appreciate what his music led to, but I prefer it in small doses.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
          I appreciate what his music led to, but I prefer it in small doses.
          It is one of the reasons still like radio. I get different artists in small doses. Brings back unexpected good memories.

Comment

I listen to his albums regularly.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I saw him at the Ritz in Manhattan for..... I guess it was his 70th birthday in 1996.

he played 2 or 3 songs, then said, "ok, your turn. what do YOU want to hear?"
              that was great.

there's an excellent documentary about him a a businessman. most of the other acts got ripped off constantly. there was a time where he was a big enough draw that if he didn't go on stage, the audience would be enraged.

so he'd get a deal for payment in advance, iirc, and then if the cash wasn't in his hand before the curtain opened - he ain't playing
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                I listen to his albums regularly.
                I was surprised to read this. Not sure why but it made me smile.

Comment

0:18 - Roll Over Beethoven
                  4:53 - School Day
                  8:46 - Sweet Little Sixteen
                  11:45 - Memphis, Tennessee
                  16:26 - Too Much Monkey Business
                  20:06 - South Of The Border
                  22:08 - Beer Drinkin' Woman
                  26:41 - Let It Rock
                  32:18 - Mean Old World
                  39:54 - Carol
                  43:56 - Rock And Roll Music
                  46:20 - Liverpool Drive
                  49:36 - Promised Land
                  51:46 - Reelin' And Rockin'
                  59:32 - Nadine (Is It You?)
                  1:01:17 - My Ding-A-Ling
                  1:12:15 - Bye Bye Johnny/Bonsoir chérie/Johnny B. Goode
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    I was surprised to read this. Not sure why but it made me smile.
                    Keep the good vibes flowing!

20180910_114224.jpg
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

His music was surely mind-blowing to kids in the 50's raised on middle-aged crooners and big bands. Removed from that historical context, his formula is pretty basic and repetitive, so I get the "boring" criticism from modern music listeners. Like all rock pioneers, his sound has been dwarfed creatively, technically, and technologically by what has come since.

I used to have his greatest hits collection on vinyl. I didn't feel the need to replace it when I went digital. I don't seek out his music now, but it is kind of cool when one of his songs pops up unexpectedly (e.g. You Never Can Tell in Pulp Fiction).
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

One of the most common misconceptions about music is that it continues to "get worse". I believe decades in music represent building blocks, and the buildings always get cooler.

In college, I was obsessed with Captain Beefheart, but I'm more into seeing what the modern day equivalents of those who push boundaries are. Danny Brown's "Atrocity Exhibition" is this generation's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or "Trout Mask Replica"... CLPPNG or Death Grips certainly push more boundaries than rock bands of the 70's because they have a much more diverse set of influences to draw upon. I can also see how modern production would be viewed as soulless, but I dont have any contemporaneous nostalgia for anything pre 1985, and that clearly shades my perspective.
                        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I like Chuck Berry better than the Beatles
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

One of the few artists that both my dad and I like. Haven't got my kid into Berry other than 'My Ding-a-Ling' which is a failure on my part. Great music that not only stands overt time but also influenced so many early rock groups.

Berry was in Park City and I was going to go but wound up in the hospital that week and was in no shape to go to a concert. One of those 'I will make sure to see him next time' only there was no next time.

Comment

"Maybellene" has always been my favorite.

When it was released in 1955, my father drove from his home in south Arkansas to Little Rock in the middle of the night so he could be at the record store when it opened to buy a copy. This was an impressive example of fandom considering the fact that he didn't own a record player.
                              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Working...
                              X