No announcement yet.

The History of RJ.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear lord. I guess it has been that long, huh?

L'Chaim!
    "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
    "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

so I'm at work just now, looking for some old docs from the early 2000's on my PC, and I come across a directory from a backup of a backup that includes a directory of Temporary Internet Files ...

in it, I find a few dozen cached html docs which are old RJ threads from 2003!!!

I can't easily post any pics of them but they are pretty cool to skim ... and I now know who created one of my favourite quotes from RJ lore ...

Originally posted by DANE
      Yeah, that fast food is pretty inedible. I think Taco Bell should just sell bags of diarrhea and cut out the middle man.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Holy crap...I remember that quote.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
          Holy crap...I remember that quote.
          Me too!!

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            so I'm at work just now, looking for some old docs from the early 2000's on my PC, and I come across a directory from a backup of a backup that includes a directory of Temporary Internet Files ...

in it, I find a few dozen cached html docs which are old RJ threads from 2003!!!

I can't easily post any pics of them but they are pretty cool to skim ... and I now know who created one of my favourite quotes from RJ lore ...
            you don't happen to have any "Adventures of Midnight Otter and Griswold" do you?

I never kept copies because as everyone knows "everything on the Internet is forever".

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post
              you don't happen to have any "Adventures of Midnight Otter and Griswold" do you?

I never kept copies because as everyone knows "everything on the Internet is forever".
              I'll have to dig through to see ... everything is on the Internet forever, you just have to know where to look!

In the meantime, here's a quote from the "you might be a rotojunkie if ..." thread:

You might be a Rotojunkie if you see a cute girl at Wendy's with a Carla Crawford nametag and you immediately think of a Tampa Bay Devil Ray that may be able to contribute nicely in stolen bases.
              edit: not finding any, but I do have a page from the "Any footballguys here?" thread.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

guys, the wayback machine has everything. I'm looking at a page right now from 2004
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Holy cats I remeber the 12to draft done via instant messenger. 2 rooms. 1 to flapjack and the draft room. Getting dropped off the net having to close the windows and start over etc etc If I remeber correctly that first NL 12to that I was a part of was an over night draft that was light out when we started and didn't finsish until it was light out again. We had Cali to nj covered when it came to owner home towns. Those were the days and what seems like 20 years ago. Frae erik. Jc bob k ohhhh life before Twitter face time etc etc. it's like we must have all been on commodore 64's.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzfish43 View Post
                    Holy cats I remeber the 12to draft done via instant messenger. 2 rooms. 1 to flapjack and the draft room. Getting dropped off the net having to close the windows and start over etc etc If I remeber correctly that first NL 12to that I was a part of was an over night draft that was light out when we started and didn't finsish until it was light out again. We had Cali to nj covered when it came to owner home towns. Those were the days and what seems like 20 years ago. Frae erik. Jc bob k ohhhh life before Twitter face time etc etc. it's like we must have all been on commodore 64's.
                    Oh I remember, you were in charge thankfully because I was in college and able to drink through that night. Pitbull was in and I think DQ? We had a guy in Hawaii one year, was it year one? We all wanted to do an auction so badly that we spent about 10 hours doing one, I think we got done around 5 AM EST? We just did this years in 3.5 hours, what a difference.

Comment

Yeah I think Pitt and I were the 'elders'. At the time. Had to be one of the first website only related IM drafted league. So yet another thing that we all have to thank RJ for and all the hard work that went into the start up and upkeep of the site. Heck I migzht have the draft rosters somewhere now your challenging me to dig me up. Was great fun and one of the things that has helped keep people coming back. Nothing better than real life drafting with only RJ a members.

Comment

We were supposed to have a guy from Hawaii that first year, but he dropped out because he couldn't make the timing work. DQ was not an original member but joined a few years in.

That first AOL IM auction was the longest and most fraught with technical problems of the ones when I was still in the league, but it was hardly the only one that fit that description. 8 hours was about the norm in those years. I drank a LOT of soda during those.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzfish43 View Post
                          Yeah I think Pitt and I were the 'elders'.
                          Yep. The first year, nomination order went from youngest to oldest, and you two were last. Frae, JC and me were 1-2-3, I believe.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Two days ago I helped a smallish snapping turtle across our street, with memories of nullnor's epic crossing in my head..
                            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Didnt we do it Auction stlye format??
                              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

I did save another snapping turtle later trying to cross a highway exit ramp.

im like where are you trying to go? it was going in the wrong direction. and she climbed such a steep hill to get there. the next few days I never saw her run over so I think she figured something out and made it.

also looking at dead roadkill today I think I saw my first fisher cat run over. I always look really closely at the road kill as I drive by. and it was a fisher cat. a big one too. you don't really see that very often.

Comment

Working...
                                X