No announcement yet.

The History of RJ.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't remember my start date but on 9/11 I was getting a ton of information here. Would go sit by the tv for a while but as coworkers came and went I felt I couldn't stay there too long so I would come here for more updates. As much as I use this place for baseball the Sports Bar is also a great place to hang out.

Comment

I remember the old old forum, back in the days of that graphic that Jason posted. I didn't post much then either, except in the football forum, since there weren't many people posting in there and I wanted to keep it alive.

Comment

I showed up about a month into RJ's existence. I had started playing Roto in 1998, became instantly addicted, and was looking for anywhere that had more info on this strange hobby of ours. I used Rotonews.com for news updates, but their message boards weren't very good. But one day in early March of 1999, there was a post in there from some guy named Ric asking people to come over and check out this new Roto board. I did, and knew that I had found a home as soon as I saw it. There was already a community of folks who were just as obsessed as I was, in a place that wasn't bogged down by spam and flame wars.

I posted pretty frequently on the old board between 1999 and 2001, and in the spring of 2000 I helped found the first keeper league formed in the Pen, the NL-only 12TO. (Some folks had organized an AL-only league in the Pen, and this was the response for those of us who prefer the NL.) The initial auction took more than 8 hours because we had to use primitive AOL IM chatroom technology.

The biggest Phillies homers on RJ at the time were myself and a guy who went by Eagle. He invited me into one of his Philly-area fantasy football leagues and to this day I play in three FF leagues with him.

I signed up immediately when we transitioned to the new board in 2001, but I didn't post there as frequently. Part of that had to do with getting divorced that year, so I had a lot of stuff going on, but part of it had to do with how my social life ramped up after that. I was spending way more time partying and going to concerts than I was doing roto. Between 2001 and 2007 or so, my involvement with RJ was usually limited to checking out the baseball forum in February, March and April. I had only a couple hundred posts during that time. In 2006 or so I quit 12TO because I no longer had the time to do more than one auction league, and learning about every single bench and bullpen guy in the NL no longer seemed like fun. I never cut back on FF because it doesn't take nearly as much time to prepare for.

I remarried in 2008 and my life became more sedate again. I began spending more time at RJ again, venturing out into the football forum and the Sports Bar, becoming a regular participant in Mock One, and getting a freelance FF writing gig with our Fanball overlords. With our first child due in May, I won't be leaving the house very much for a few years, so any of you hoping for another quasi-hiatus from me will be disappointed!
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

signed on in late 2004 specifically to play in Vintage Draft IV. JohnnyA was running a yahoo league and had recruited my coworker scott/nascar/slider to play and then suckered him into the vintage drafts. Scott brought me along.

About a month later, I discovered the sports bar.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

The classic [echo] post (sorry about the funky characters that is what rj shows up after I searched for it)

How did rotojunkie.com start? :
            -----------------
            Scene: Bob Kohm’s Garage, Bob and Byron sitting on an old sofa, passing a bowl back and forth

“We should, like, start a web site or somethin’†–Byron “That would ROCK†he bangs his head and pounds his fist into the air.

“I’m not exactly sure it would “ROCK†as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed – but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.†–Bob

“A sports website, fantasty sports…†–Bob says grinning ear to ear

“Whats fantasy sports Bob… gimme the bowl… give it…†–Byron

“You keep that up and you’ll earn a 2 week suspension from the Garage. Period.†-Bob

“Now quiet – I’m developing our future.. I’m visualizing our digital thumbprint on the global network of linked computers.. the Internet!†–Bob (he jumps up off the couch) “It’s brilliant !!†“shoot… I dropped my extra pocket protector.. where’s it go Byronâ€

“I like global networks.. I’m in… got any Doritos?†-Byron

and the rest is history – really how did it start?
            Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Anyone seen the stapler?
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I believe it is at a Luau.

Comment

I joined back in June 2001 when they had the old format which was very difficult to follow. Bob and I didn't become best friends until a couple years later.
                  拖裤子,
                  放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    Anyone seen the stapler?
                    Shawn from Ohio took it.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                      I lurked from 1999 until officially registering in 2001. Who remembers these days?

argh! Lord, I remember those days well. Ric and I trying to figure out how to keep people around... good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        I just used random names from 1999-2000, depending on the point of the post. Not sure if registering was finally required in 2001, or before.
                        I saw some guests were looking at this post. I decided to bump it.

JJ, Sometimes for fun I would post as Mike Ditka. I am not sure how that worked. We didn't need to log in to post? Or maybe once we were in we could sign up as anybody? Not really sure.
                        Last edited by Gregg; 09-10-2012, 02:56 PM.

Comment

there was no signup/registration, iirc.
                          you just hit "reply," and posted a name in one line and your message on the other
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

btw, the site problems today are related to a member of Anonymous hacking GoDaddy

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              there was no signup/registration, iirc.
                              you just hit "reply," and posted a name in one line and your message on the other

>>>> i remember

>> get off my lawn

>>>>> Mike Ditka

Comment

Happy belated 14th birthday RJ!!

Comment

Working...
                                X