No announcement yet.

Tom Petty Song Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Heartbreakers could sound like the American Stones when they wanted to. "Can't Get Her Out" is a good example of this, as are several songs from Long After Dark.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
      Only one Heartbreakers studio album has not had anything selected yet.
      And now it has.

Comment

The Heartbreakers could sound like the American Stones when they wanted to. "Can't Get Her Out" is a good example of this, as are several songs from Long After Dark.
        I had to pick that one even though I had not heard it until I checked out the box set, and was impressed with the way they rocked it.

Mojo, on the other hand, has a great R&B feel, not hitting the mark every time, but showing amazing versatility and a willingness to explore new musical terrain.
        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• I'd love to catch this.

PettyGrass will find Keller Williams performing the music of recently departed rock icon Tom Petty in a rollicking bluegrass style.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGaffer View Post
            9.07 The Apartment Song, Full Moon Fever
            Welcome to Full Moon Fever, where even the filler is killer!

It's a good thing Gregg never heard this version of the song, or it would never have fallen to you:

Speaking of which: My earlier comments about the lousy production wrecking the few decent songs on Southern Accents were wiped out by the site reset, but The Apartment Song is another indictment of the Dave Stewart collaboration. He heard this version of the song and threw it on the trash heap. Jeff Lynne heard this version of the song, rearranged it, tossed in a Buddy Holly drum break, applied the Full Moon Fever sheen, and - viola! - a solid four-star song was created from scrap.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Third-to-last round. There are going to be a lot of damn good songs undrafted.

Comment

• Album breakdown:

Wildflowers 12
                Damn the Torpedoes 8
                Full Moon Fever 7
                Long After Dark 6
                Into the Great Wide Open 6
                You're Gonna Get It! 5
                Hard Promises 5
                Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 4
                Mojo 3
                Southern Accents 2
                Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) 2
                She's the One soundtrack 2
                Mudcrutch 2
                Hypnotic Eye 2
                Echo 1
                Highway Companion 1
                The Last DJ 1
                Other 11
                Last edited by Erik; 01-26-2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Honey Bee was on my list. The SNL performance with Grohl remains the first thing I think of when I hear that song.

Comment

• Same Old You was also on my list. Another example of how they were the among the best Stones knockoffs in the world when they wanted to be.

Comment

Same Old You was also on my list. Another example of how they were the among the best Stones knockoffs in the world when they wanted to be.
                      I am glad I didn't wait. It was between this and one other song.

Comment

• I can't believe I only have one more pick left, Petty is deep
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• I was wondering if someone was gonna take the Lenny Kravitz thing.

Comment

I was wondering if someone was gonna take the Lenny Kravitz thing.
                            Sheer wonderment when I heard this...I didn't know Kravitz was involved, so I didn't have any feelings for or against him...I was just impressed once again by the broad palette of sounds you can find on a Petty release.
                            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Honey Bee was on my list. The SNL performance with Grohl remains the first thing I think of when I hear that song.
                              I saw an interview where Dave said they offered him the drumming slot in the Heartbreakers after the SNL gig......and he almost took it
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• “You Come Through” gets old fast. Can I get a mulligan there?

Comment

Working...
                                X