No announcement yet.

Tom Petty Song Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love Yer So Bad. I was hoping to make it my Full Moon Fever pick, since I missed out on the hits.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• When my cousin got married, Walls (Circus) was his first dance with his bride. This was in 1997.

Anyone else been to a wedding with a Petty song as a first dance?
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Album breakdown:

Damn the Torpedoes 6
        Full Moon Fever 5
        Hard Promises 3
        Into the Great Wide Open 3
        Wildflowers 3
        Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 2
        You’re Gonna Get It! 2
        Long After Dark 2
        Let Me Up (I’ve Had Enough) 2
        Southern Accents 1
        She's the One soundtrack 1
        Mudcrutch 1
        Other 3

Comment

• I wasn't all that enthralled with Petty's early '00s output. There were some highlights like always, but there were more misfires than usual and at times it seemed like he was coasting. In 2007, when he reconvened Mudcrutch for the first time since 1975, it was like a light went on again. Their first record is inspired throughout and Crystal River was a thrilling ride into a style the Heartbreakers almost never bothered with. He continued to up his game, and the final two Heartbreakers albums as well as the second Mudcrutch album have a similar vigorous energy.

In this version of Crystal River from 2016, Stephen Stills shows up for the jam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
            When my cousin got married, Walls (Circus) was his first dance with his bride. This was in 1997.
            Really? People don't usually turn to songs of soul-crushing post-divorce sadness for such occasions. LOL
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
              Really? People don't usually turn to songs of soul-crushing post-divorce sadness for such occasions. LOL
              Must have been “their song.”

People use “Let’s Stay Together” all the time and that’s about a breakup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                Must have been “their song.”

People use “Let’s Stay Together” all the time and that’s about a breakup.
                That's the great trick of Walls (Circus} - it's so pretty on the surface, you can easily forgot there's a man drowning in sorrow underneath it all.

Comment

• Here's the Top of the Pops performance I mentioned in the draft thread.

Comment

• Album breakdown:

Damn the Torpedoes 6
                    Full Moon Fever 6
                    Wildflowers 6
                    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 4
                    Into the Great Wide Open 4
                    Hard Promises 3
                    You’re Gonna Get It! 2
                    Long After Dark 2
                    Let Me Up (I’ve Had Enough) 2
                    Southern Accents 1
                    She's the One soundtrack 1
                    Echo 1
                    Mudcrutch 1
                    Mojo 1
                    Hypnotic Eye 1
                    Other 4
                    Last edited by Erik; 01-22-2018, 06:42 AM.

Comment

• The title track of Wildflowers was a real pretty one I always liked, more than the other ones on that album, but to do more from that period, I'd have to do some catch-up listening.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGaffer View Post
                        The title track of Wildflowers was a real pretty one I always liked, more than the other ones on that album, but to do more from that period, I'd have to do some catch-up listening.
                        Even if you take the remaining tracks of Damn the Torpedos, you still have two other slots to fill.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                          Is gregg going to push for a Stevie Nicks draft after this?
                          Ha, I thought about passing on Insider for another song but I think that one will make it back to me. I also may or may not have had a big crush on her back in the day.

Comment

• Draft page updated.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• well, I popped Echo's cherry
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                                well, I popped Echo's cherry
                                I love Echo. Lyrics are so much more emotional than usual, presumably fueled by his divorce.

My friends' band used to cover Swingin'.

Comment

Working...
                                X