X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    How long ago was this?
    5-8 years ago.....
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Conyers "retired" today and endorsed his son to take his spot, lol.

Latest accused: Danny Masterson ("That 70's Show") was canned from Netflix's 'The Ranch' after various rape allegations
      Masterson is now up to five rape accusers, including a girlfriend who alleges repeated rapes. Unlike Cosby and Stallone, these allegations fit within a prosecution window, so hopefully justice and criminal prosecution will be possible in this case. Too many of these cases seems to only be tried in the court of public opinion. The consequences of lost work and being outed as an abuser are substantial, but not enough in cases like this. A rapist doesn't need to just lose his job. He needs to be put away. I understand the reasons behind statutes of limitation, but it is a real shame many of the people who only now feel that society is ready to hear their claims will not get to have their day in court.

Comment

• maybe it is me, but how do you let someone rape you repeatedly. Rape me once, and I'm killing you the next time you fall asleep
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          maybe it is me, but how do you let someone rape you repeatedly. Rape me once, and I'm killing you the next time you fall asleep
          I hear you. I understand the mentality more, because my mother is a lifetime victim. It frustrated me a lot, but sometimes those who are abused early cannot overcome the fear response that makes them feel helpless and alone. In fact, many times my mother has sought out victimhood, which was often infuriating to witness, and which I think is related to her early experiences. In my experience, predators are adept at finding people who have already been conditioned as victims.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            I hear you. I understand the mentality more, because my mother is a lifetime victim. It frustrated me a lot, but sometimes those who are abused early cannot overcome the fear response that makes them feel helpless and alone. In fact, many times my mother has sought out victimhood, which was often infuriating to witness, and which I think is related to her early experiences. In my experience, predators are adept at finding people who have already been conditioned as victims.
            Very true and extremely unfortunate.
            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
              Very true and extremely unfortunate.
              heartbreaking

Comment

• Latest accused: Twins 3B Miguel Sano

Comment

• Latest accused: Jann Wenner

Comment

• Latest accused: Ben Vereen

Comment

• Latest accused: Stan Lee

Comment

• maybe we should just start posted people who haven't been accused
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Latest accused: Stan Lee
                          Based on what we know about the effects various forms of dementia have on inhabitions and the part of the brain that keeps people caring about social mores, do we judge men accused of this sort of thing differently if all accusations are from when the men are over the age of 80, or 90? Lee is 95 and if he is only acting this way now, I'd wager he brain is different than it used to be, or he'd have done this sort of thing before.

Comment

• Latest accused: James Franco

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              Based on what we know about the effects various forms of dementia have on inhabitions and the part of the brain that keeps people caring about social mores, do we judge men accused of this sort of thing differently if all accusations are from when the men are over the age of 80, or 90? Lee is 95 and if he is only acting this way now, I'd wager he brain is different than it used to be, or he'd have done this sort of thing before.
                              I'm not sure that really matters? If you asked any 40 year old they would also say they are a "different person" than they were at 20.

Also, do we know for sure he DIDN'T do this sort of thing before?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                I'm not sure that really matters? If you asked any 40 year old they would also say they are a "different person" than they were at 20.

Also, do we know for sure he DIDN'T do this sort of thing before?
                                Well, we don't know, and he may very well have. If he has, I suspect it will come out, as once someone come forward, others tend to feel confident in doing so.

But as far as comparing someone who has acted appropriately with women for 80+ years and then starts acting inappropriately at a very advanced age to someone who acted different at 20 than 40, that is apples and oranges. In the former case, it is very likely that brain degeneration has affected parts of the brain that affects impulse control and a sense of propriety. That change isn't about maturity, or voluntary impairment via drug use. Personally, I would judge such cases very differently. Yes, someone can change and regret and repent crimes and errors made in one's past, and depending on the crimes and contrition, one might see that person as more mature and better. But that person still made those bad choices at one time, and that will always be a part of the story of who they are. Conversely, someone who has never made such choices until the parts of their brain that made them who they are their whole lives deteriorate, should not be judged in the same way. Those acts, done very late in life, for the first time, should not be seen as revealing the true character of the individual. If you have been around old folks who suffer from brain degenerative diseases, you'll see radical changes in behavior based on that deterioration. Again, I don't know if that is the case for Stan Lee, but if it is, I think that matters a great deal to how we view and judge him.

Comment

Working...
                                X