on deck: Hurricane Irma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
    As do I, but we have set up a society with separation of church and state, so to use a scripture passage with regard to a state function, IMO, is inappropriate.
    I think you might be reading a bit more than was intended ... to propose policy based on scripture would absolutely be inappropriate, but I'm pretty sure that's not where RF was going with his comment

if someone in the Sports Bar wants to suggest that we should do unto others as we would have them do unto us, I'd be totally cool with that because I agree with that sentiment ... if someone wants to suggest we should legislate based on it because it's in scripture, well, yes, that would be inappropriate (to put it mildly)
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      I think you might be reading a bit more than was intended ... to propose policy based on scripture would absolutely be inappropriate, but I'm pretty sure that's not where RF was going with his comment

if someone in the Sports Bar wants to suggest that we should do unto others as we would have them do unto us, I'd be totally cool with that because I agree with that sentiment ... if someone wants to suggest we should legislate based on it because it's in scripture, well, yes, that would be inappropriate (to put it mildly)
      TG took the words right out of my mouth.

Providing shelter isn't just a state function; religious and private charities are taking in people who are fleeing south Florida. I hope they also have their doors open for all who seek a safe place.
      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
        TG took the words right out of my mouth.

Providing shelter isn't just a state function; religious and private charities are taking in people who are fleeing south Florida. I hope they also have their doors open for all who seek a safe place.
        Thanks for clarifiying. I was anticipating that was your intention, but clarity is always good.
        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
          Thanks for clarifiying. I was anticipating that was your intention, but clarity is always good.
          Agreed, and I didn't make it very clear by only putting the 'generally' part in there.

I've always been a strong proponent of the separation of church and state, although I really thought we had tamped that issue down before Reagan took office.
          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

In related news, Rush Limbaugh, a south Florida resident who has openly claimed all week that Irma warnings and evacuations are the products of a government conspiracy and deep state propaganda, has hauled his big ass to higher ground.

Comment

We will not see much coverage, but Irma will almost certainly be the most destructive storm in Cuba's history. Irma is straddling the entire width of the island with sustained winds over 150 MPH. She will do so for at least 3/4 of the length of the island, possibly visiting 130 MPH winds on Havana. At the same time, Irma will make landfall on Florida. She is over twice the width of sea between. This is one freaking large blow.

In related news, Rush Limbaugh, a south Florida resident who has openly claimed all week that Irma warnings and evacuations are the products of a government conspiracy and deep state propaganda, has hauled his big ass to higher ground.
              I never knew you were a fan.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                We will not see much coverage, but Irma will almost certainly be the most destructive storm in Cuba's history. Irma is straddling the entire width of the island with sustained winds over 150 MPH. She will do so for at least 3/4 of the length of the island, possibly visiting 130 MPH winds on Havana. At the same time, Irma will make landfall on Florida. She is over twice the width of sea between. This is one freaking large blow.

Originally Posted by Redbirds Fan
                I never knew you were a fan.

J
                Of craven hypocrisy? More of just a fascinated observer.

Comment

Of craven hypocrisy? More of just a fascinated observer.
                  Trainwreck that never quite happens. I understand.

I have a cousin that stayed in St Pete. Hopefully we get word by morning.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

interesting article from the TB Times

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                    X