Female Only Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
    Hey, I was sitting on that pick for the whole draft. She would have been my tenth rounder if we hadn't decided to go with the guilty pleasure round. I've got a thing for women who play bass.
    Talking Heads fan?
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Hey, I was sitting on that pick for the whole draft. She would have been my tenth rounder if we hadn't decided to go with the guilty pleasure round. I've got a thing for women who play bass.
      I made s strategic mistake. I underestimated you. In hindsight I should have grabbed Quatro in 10th round and made k.d. my guilty pleasure pick. I was fairly certain no one was taking her.

Comment

• Absolutely. There are tons of great female bass players, past and present. Tina Weymouth, Gail Ann Dorsey, Meshell Ndegeocello (?), Tal Wilkenfeld, Kims Gordon and Deal, Aimee Mann, Paz Lenchantin, Esperanza Spalding, etc. etc. I loved Janice-Marie Johnson of A Taste of Honey for her badass bass on "Boogie Oogie Oogie". Grace Slick played bass for her first band. The non-Kate Pierson girl from the B-52s plays bass. Even Sheryl Crow plays bass on some of her stuff.

Chicks in the rhythm section are sexy, whether they are on bass or drums. Hell, chicks with electric guitars are sexy, period. And by "chicks" I mean strong, independent females.
        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          Tiger Lily was my choice as well. And I thought Shania had been mentioned already, yes she was also on my missed list.
          That was me. Love Shania!!
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Absolutely. There are tons of great female bass players, past and present. Tina Weymouth, Gail Ann Dorsey, Meshell Ndegeocello (?), Tal Wilkenfeld, Kims Gordon and Deal, Aimee Mann, Paz Lenchantin, Esperanza Spalding, etc. etc. I loved Janice-Marie Johnson of A Taste of Honey for her badass bass on "Boogie Oogie Oogie". Grace Slick played bass for her first band. The non-Kate Pierson girl from the B-52s plays bass. Even Sheryl Crow plays bass on some of her stuff.

Chicks in the rhythm section are sexy, whether they are on bass or drums. Hell, chicks with electric guitars are sexy, period. And by "chicks" I mean strong, independent females.

Shit! I forgot about the Donnas!!!! How did I forget them???? Damn... Lord..they should have been my 2nd or 3rd rounder...

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Ace of Cups - check out this band - who are these chicks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP3uMR1CEeY

I am gonna look for more about them

Comment

• ooh - we missed another big one here

Joan Armatrading

check it out if you missed her too

and there are more solid songs too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oag3I4VRXyM

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                  ooh - we missed another big one here

Joan Armatrading

check it out if you missed her too

and there are more solid songs too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oag3I4VRXyM
                  Playing that Ovation acoustic...a company which probably owed its continued existence to Glen Campbell.

She was a fine singer. A lot of the girls I knew in college were big fans of hers and of Phoebe Snow.
                  If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Did anyone mention Diana Ross / Supremes?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      Did anyone mention Diana Ross / Supremes?
                      My #4 pick. Soundtrack of my youth.

Comment

My wife's favorite song is 1979's "Stumblin' In."

Comment

• One of my favorites from the Supremes:

Comment

Okay, you have walked it back enough now. I've got it:

1. You like Melissa Etheridge.
                            2. You like Melissa Etheridge.

Different strokes for different folks. You could have just said that to begin with.
                            I could have. And you could have chosen to not be an insufferable noodge because you didn't like the way I worded an off-hand comment, but I guess winning some irrelevant point in the courtroom of your mind was just too darned important. Congratulations on your imaginary little victory - how good you must feel!
                            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              Shit! I forgot about the Donnas!!!! How did I forget them???? Damn... Lord..they should have been my 2nd or 3rd rounder...

I know I've said this before, but Donna A (the lead singer) is the daughter of one of my early bosses, I remember talking to her about the Ramones and the Goblins when she was in jr high. Her Aunt is Laurie Anderson....
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                                I know I've said this before, but Donna A (the lead singer) is the daughter of one of my early bosses, I remember talking to her about the Ramones and the Goblins when she was in jr high. Her Aunt is Laurie Anderson....
                                Performance artist Laurie Anderson? (A buddy and I were knee walking one night (70s) and stumbled upon a television broadcast where she was, essentially, rolling a big red ball around the stage while vocalizing right at the upper frequency range of our hearing. We were properly freaked out.)

Comment

Working...
                                X