Female Only Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like both for different reasons
    Etheridge puts on a great show - is a rocker - and my wife digs enough to have blown out one of my very prized Bowers and Wilkins speakers (wait is that a good thing)
    Warwick has had a huge career with "easy listening" but I have been in a play where we had to sing Bacharach and David tunes and the precision required to carry it off well is incredible (we carried it off um OK)

but there are others not picked that I personally enjoy listening to more - mentioned above by others

Comment

• ... and pretty close to making my team ... Chvrches (Lauren Mayberry). 2 excellent records and new one coming soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
        No, but if you keep walking it back I might finally get it.
        1) Not too many women can fill up a 15-track collection of their best songs that I would feel compelled to own.
        2) Melissa Etheridge is one of the rare exceptions to Statement 1.

I can't state it more simply than that. If you're still confused, then I guess I'm doomed to be misunderstood. C'est la vie.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          Oops, yes, Whip-Smart. I pulled the wrong title from my overburdened mental database. Exile In Guyville was good, too, but Whip-Smart was killer.
          EiG was the one that had the alterna-scene and alterna-press in a tizzy. Whip-Smart was the same idea but with better songs.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            ... and pretty close to making my team ... Chvrches (Lauren Mayberry). 2 excellent records and new one coming soon.

This is a charming performance - listened to it many times

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
              1) Not too many women can fill up a 15-track collection of their best songs that I would feel compelled to own.
              2) Melissa Etheridge is one of the rare exceptions to Statement 1.

I can't state it more simply than that. If you're still confused, then I guess I'm doomed to be misunderstood. C'est la vie.
              Okay, you have walked it back enough now. I've got it:

1. You like Melissa Etheridge.
              2. You like Melissa Etheridge.

Different strokes for different folks. You could have just said that to begin with.
              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• It was a fun draft, glad we did it. Helped keep my mind off of shenanigans in Washington.

Not a lot of new artists discovered, but it gave me an opportunity to listen to some people I hadn't thought about in a while. Well worth the time.
                If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                  This is a charming performance - listened to it many times
                  Pretty sure you recommended it to me ..

Comment

• I was away camping the past 5 days so was offline - you guys wrapped this up quite nicely, it was a fun draft. Almost all the names on my list were covered - just a few left that I had on my maybe list ...

Natalie Merchant
                    Siouxsie & the Banshees
                    MIA (she would have been my guilty pleasure round pick)

edit: I don't have youtube access at work so if someone already posted a vid of one of these I would have missed it

looking forward to the next one!
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• would have drafted:
                      10,000 Maniacs - Blind Man's Zoo (on the strength of Dust Bowl) over In My Tribe. RJEL instists Natalie Merchant's solo Tigerlily would be a better choice.
                      Hole - Live Through This - She may be a complete hot mess, but this album rocks.
                      Shania - Come on Over - Yes. I would have drafted it. whatever.
                      Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman

Saw this Heartless Bastards a few years back. Great concert.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        would have drafted:
                        10,000 Maniacs - Blind Man's Zoo (on the strength of Dust Bowl) over In My Tribe. RJEL instists Natalie Merchant's solo Tigerlily would be a better choice.
                        Hole - Live Through This - She may be a complete hot mess, but this album rocks.
                        Shania - Come on Over - Yes. I would have drafted it. whatever.
                        Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
                        Tiger Lily was my choice as well. And I thought Shania had been mentioned already, yes she was also on my missed list.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          Tiger Lily was my choice as well. And I thought Shania had been mentioned already, yes she was also on my missed list.
                          How does a Canadian let Shania go undrafted!?!?
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            How does a Canadian let Shania go undrafted!?!?
                            I know, eh???

If I had played it right I could have tried for an all Canadian team ... Joni Mitchell, Allanis Morissette, Arcade Fire, Metric, Diana Krall, Shania Twain, kd lang, Sarah McLaughlin, ... tho I might have had to take Anne Murray in the guilty pleasures round, there's no way I could get myself to take Celine ...

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                              I know, eh???

If I had played it right I could have tried for an all Canadian team ... Joni Mitchell, Allanis Morissette, Arcade Fire, Metric, Diana Krall, Shania Twain, kd lang, Sarah McLaughlin, ... tho I might have had to take Anne Murray in the guilty pleasures round, there's no way I could get myself to take Celine ...
                              Celine has great voice. Not worthy of a 10 round draft but certainly in a guilty pleasure round.

Besides Redbirds took my Suzi Quatro pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                Celine has great voice. Not worthy of a 10 round draft but certainly in a guilty pleasure round.

Besides Redbirds took my Suzi Quatro pick.
                                Hey, I was sitting on that pick for the whole draft. She would have been my tenth rounder if we hadn't decided to go with the guilty pleasure round. I've got a thing for women who play bass.

Comment

Working...
                                X