USS Gabrielle Giffords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Gabrielle Giffords

It's probably just me, but I find it really strange to honor a victim of gun violence by naming a warship after them...but it does seem to capture the essence of America.

---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    It's probably just me, but I find it really strange to honor a victim of gun violence by naming a warship after them...but it does seem to capture the essence of America.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...n-11210777.php
    I think she may have been an elected official at some point, too.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
      I think she may have been an elected official at some point, too.
      I'm not sure how that is relevant, please explain

Edit: Maybe you think most people who serve 5 years in congress have a navy ship named after them, is that what you are saying ?

Edit 2: I can't actually believe I have to explain this, but my point was the irony of a victim of violence having a weapon named in their honor.
      Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 06-10-2017, 09:49 PM.
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Is it ironic that the Colt .45 was called "The Peacemaker?"

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Is it ironic that the Colt .45 was called "The Peacemaker?"
          I don't know, do you think if all Americans had Colt .45s we would have peace and an end to murders ?
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            I don't know, do you think if all Americans had Colt .45s we would have peace and an end to murders ?
            Unless I am mistaken Donald Trump is commander in chief of the US military, has everyone just been joking about him being a warmonger ? it would really be nice to see some consistency
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

We could go with the USS Dylann Roof. Would that be less ironic?
              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

The USS Ronald Reagan was also named after a politician who was a victim of gun violence.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  The USS Ronald Reagan was also named after a politician who was a victim of gun violence.
                  Well, politician in the same that he was POTUS, and she, um, wasnt

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                    Well, politician in the same that he was POTUS, and she, um, wasnt
                    She was the first politician shot as a result of opposition propaganda.

And she did return from a pretty dire injury to become a symbol of resilience and unwavering commitment to her congressional duties.
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      Hornet and Wasp have long been victims of vicious chemical attacks too !
                      --------------------------------------
                      You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        She was the first politician shot as a result of opposition propaganda.

And she did return from a pretty dire injury to become a symbol of resilience and unwavering commitment to her congressional duties.
                        All of which is great, but the irony referred to above is silly. She is mostly known because she was shot. Naming an aircraft carrier after her is ironic. Ronald Reagan was POTUS, who is know for many things, some good, some bad and one of which is getting shot. Naming a carrier after him, isn't really ironic.
                        PS- you don't think Licoln was shot as a result of opposition propaganda? McKinley either?
                        Last edited by nots; 06-12-2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Just for the sake of accuracy, it's not an Aircraft Carrier, it's a new Navy design. From the link above...

The 422-foot littoral combat ship, flanked with guns and missiles, is part of a new class of high-speed vessels designed to target mines, submarines and other warships in coastal areas. It's the fifth of its kind to enter the country's naval fleet and one of 11 planned for delivery by shipbuilder Austal USA as part of a $3.5 billion contract.

The 422-foot littoral combat ship, flanked with guns and missiles, is part of a new class of high-speed vessels designed to target mines, submarines and other warships in coastal areas. It's the fifth of its kind to enter the country's naval fleet and one of 11 planned for delivery by shipbuilder Austal USA as part of a $3.5 billion contract. Craig Perciavalle, the company's U.S. president, said the vessels can travel into shallower water than other combat ships, allowing the Navy access more ports around the world. Their sleeker bodies allow them to travel faster than 45 miles per hour.
                          I really have no issue with it, just as I wouldn't have had an issue with a ship being named after James Brady. Some people show a level of perseverance and courage that they should be honored while they're still alive. I think that Gabby Giffords rises to that level...
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Just for the sake of accuracy, it's not an Aircraft Carrier, it's a new Navy design. From the link above...

I really have no issue with it, just as I wouldn't have had an issue with a ship being named after James Brady. Some people show a level of perseverance and courage that they should be honored while they're still alive. I think that Gabby Giffords rises to that level...
                            I don't have an issue with it at all, it really doesn't matter to me what they name our warships. I do think it says something about our country that we honor people by naming weapons after them. Personally, I wouldn't consider it an honor at all to have a warship or any weapon named after me, that is not something I would be proud of, but I'm sure that makes me unusual among Americans.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

This is just another thing that someone decided there should be outrage or false outrage about - and now we are wasting time discussing who ships are being named after.

I could give a rats ass how they name or who they name battle ships after.
                              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Working...
                              X