USS Gabrielle Giffords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    This is just another thing that someone decided there should be outrage or false outrage about - and now we are wasting time discussing who ships are being named after.

I could give a rats ass how they name or who they name battle ships after.
    Yes, I pretty clearly implied everyone should be outraged. I apologize for distracting from the Trump outrage and Healthcare outrage.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

This is just another thing that someone decided there should be outrage or false outrage about - and now we are wasting time discussing who ships are being named after.

I could give a rats ass how they name or who they name battle ships after.
      seems like someone is expressing outrage over fake outrage ... does that make this righteous outrage? it's kinda hard to tell anymore ...
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
        All of which is great, but the irony referred to above is silly. She is mostly known because she was shot. Naming an aircraft carrier after her is ironic. Ronald Reagan was POTUS, who is know for many things, some good, some bad and one of which is getting shot. Naming a carrier after him, isn't really ironic.
        PS- you don't think Licoln was shot as a result of opposition propaganda? McKinley either?
        Not Lincoln, possibly McKinley , but I was referring to a lone wolf assassin inspired by partisan literature. Booth was a member of a far reaching conspiracy connected to the confederacy, Czolgosz's decent into the anarchist movement was a slow burn and inspired by real life events such as he and his family losing their jobs. Loughner acted on a whim, for no apparent reason other than he read or saw something that convinced him she was a target to be eliminated. He also suffered from mental illness (another gun control issue) which separates him from Booth and Czolgosz.

My signature from Dan D below, which he coined shortly after the shooting, is about this very act. I still believe propaganda like Palin's Target picture prompt unstable people or those on the edge of violent acts, to put those urges into action--I believe Trump inspires the same kinds of actions as well.

Not that this has anything to do with naming the ship, they could call it a very cool big ass ship for all I care. And yes, though ironic, it's another case of much ado about nothing if there is indeed outrage (and I've only heard minimal bitching from some of the more conservative folk)
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          Yes, I pretty clearly implied everyone should be outraged. I apologize for distracting from the Trump outrage and Healthcare outrage.
          Feral -
          You misunderstood my post... I am not pointing fingers at you specifically regarding this thread. It was more of a general observation that no matter what the topic it seems everyone has to have as opinion. It just doesnt seem to be good enough anymore to say ' meh who cares? ' In general we waste a bunch of time on things that are really irrelevant.

Sorry that you took it to mean something else.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            Not Lincoln, possibly McKinley , but I was referring to a lone wolf assassin inspired by partisan literature. Booth was a member of a far reaching conspiracy connected to the confederacy, Czolgosz's decent into the anarchist movement was a slow burn and inspired by real life events such as he and his family losing their jobs. Loughner acted on a whim, for no apparent reason other than he read or saw something that convinced him she was a target to be eliminated. He also suffered from mental illness (another gun control issue) which separates him from Booth and Czolgosz.

My signature from Dan D below, which he coined shortly after the shooting, is about this very act. I still believe propaganda like Palin's Target picture prompt unstable people or those on the edge of violent acts, to put those urges into action--I believe Trump inspires the same kinds of actions as well.

Not that this has anything to do with naming the ship, they could call it a very cool big ass ship for all I care. And yes, though ironic, it's another case of much ado about nothing if there is indeed outrage (and I've only heard minimal bitching from some of the more conservative folk)
            Do you believe violent movies, video games and lyrics prompt unstable people to put those urges into action?

Comment

Feral -
              You misunderstood my post... I am not pointing fingers at you specifically regarding this thread. It was more of a general observation that no matter what the topic it seems everyone has to have as opinion. It just doesnt seem to be good enough anymore to say ' meh who cares? ' In general we waste a bunch of time on things that are really irrelevant.

Sorry that you took it to mean something else.
              Probably just me overreacting (again) in this thread, no worries and thanks for the response. It was really just meant as an observation.
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                Do you believe violent movies, video games and lyrics prompt unstable people to put those urges into action?
                Toward specific targets?

I'd say if a direct link between anything advocating violence towards specific targets and the act itself can be proven, there is culpability.

Saying F the police and Kill the police are two different things, I could say to hell with you or FU but that's not at all like saying Solve my problem and literally putting you in the crosshairs.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

i've been trying to understand conspiracy theorists. we have a couple at work and one is totally committed to it. he's not mentally ill or stupid. he's very intelligent. but you have to be mindful sometimes when starting a conversation with him because it might not end up how you think. for example you'll say 'how about that wonder woman movie', and he'll respond about hollywood's militant feminist agenda or something. or you'll mention something to do with science or evolution and he'll respond about the black knight satellite or how giants once walked the earth. there's not one conspiracy theory he doesn't believe. and i've come to the conclusion that it's a culture. one that can be documented and reinforced many different ways through it's support on the internet and in our political rhetoric. which can be more vast than a video game or a song.

but im not even sure if the man that shot giffords qualifies. he could be someone that was just simply mentally ill. a more apt comparison would be the older tsarnaev brother. im all for free speech. but i do wonder, for example, if trumps divisive strategy contributes to things like the recent train stabbing in oregon. did the white supremacist yell at the muslim girl because he felt he had the president backing up his beliefs.

if anything free speech can be used as a tool to find these ppl before they act.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
                    Wait, wait, wait.....aren't you one?
                    no, ..it's a conspiracy.

Comment

You know it's pretty bad when nullnor is evaluating the mental stabilility of his coworkers! Nully buddy, you still are the number 1 RJ poster I want to meet!
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

We as a society have elevated our elected officials to quasi-god status. They are more important than us and deserve to be bowed down to and celebrated.

How many other Americans have gone through something just as tragic and heroic as Giffords? I have great respect for Giffords and what she faced and overcame, but because she is a politician she gets the notoriety.

How about these everyday heroes: http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/01/us/top...oes/index.html

Where's their battleship?
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

and now we are back to wasting time discussing how and who boats get named after by our government.... Holy crap what a waste of time.
                          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            We as a society have elevated our elected officials to quasi-god status. They are more important than us and deserve to be bowed down to and celebrated.

How many other Americans have gone through something just as tragic and heroic as Giffords? I have great respect for Giffords and what she faced and overcame, but because she is a politician she gets the notoriety.

How about these everyday heroes: http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/01/us/top...oes/index.html

Where's their battleship?
                            There are actual protocols and conventions for naming ships.

According to Wiki, the U.S. Navy has named only sixteen vessels in honor of women, with two more planned. Of those, seven of the ships were honored Native Americans or nurses. The USS Giffords is the only one honoring an elected official.

While naming an LCS class ship for an individual was an exception to the usual naming convention, it was explained this way:

During the ship's naming announcement on 10 February 2012, Secretary Mabus said that the Navy had chosen to name the ship Gabrielle Giffords because Rep. Giffords' name had become "synonymous with courage" and that the congresswoman had "inspired the nation with remarkable resiliency." The secretary also called the naming a tribute to Navy families, stating that Giffords was a "Navy spouse" who made efforts to support the Navy during her time in Congress. Giffords is married to Captain Mark Kelly (Ret.), a former naval aviator and astronaut. (Wiki)

Such an exception is not uncommon.
                            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

and now we are back to wasting time discussing how and who boats get named after by our government.... Holy crap what a waste of time.
                              What news channel/site are you seeing this on? Everything I've seen that's news-related today is consumed with the shooting & London fire (and now UPS shooting).
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                                There are actual protocols and conventions for naming ships.

According to Wiki, the U.S. Navy has named only sixteen vessels in honor of women, with two more planned. Of those, seven of the ships were honored Native Americans or nurses. The USS Giffords is the only one honoring an elected official.

While naming an LCS class ship for an individual was an exception to the usual naming convention, it was explained this way:

During the ship's naming announcement on 10 February 2012, Secretary Mabus said that the Navy had chosen to name the ship Gabrielle Giffords because Rep. Giffords' name had become "synonymous with courage" and that the congresswoman had "inspired the nation with remarkable resiliency." The secretary also called the naming a tribute to Navy families, stating that Giffords was a "Navy spouse" who made efforts to support the Navy during her time in Congress. Giffords is married to Captain Mark Kelly (Ret.), a former naval aviator and astronaut. (Wiki)

Such an exception is not uncommon.
                                This proves my point. We'll name it after the "important " people. blah blah blah..
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X