No announcement yet.

White terror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact that Fox News is willing to try and use this Trump supporter's mass murder of Muslims as a tool of disinformation to sway the narrative towards "dangerous Muslims" is sickening. The shrug from the right wingers is here in equally sickening.

I loved this summary of how a seemingly normal, white conservative became radicalized, from the CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...file-1.3959581

But he came across as intelligent to his peers, and joined the chess club at Laval University, where he studied anthropology and political science.

Bissonnette appeared to enjoy discussing politics with select classmates at university. Jean-Michel Allard Prus, who took a politics class with Bissonnette, said they often debated with each other on Facebook.

In these debates, Bissonnette expressed fairly mainstream conservative views. A hunter, he opposed gun control and was pro-Israel, but otherwise didn't bring up more divisive issues such as Muslims or immigration.

But that was a year ago.

"I think … something happened. He radicalized a lot," Prus said. "He seemed just a normal right-wing individual."
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
      Shit, all the national news channels are propaganda machines. Fox is just the one on the right.
      With the ascension of Lester Holt and the addition of Meghan Kelly, is NBC is consciously repositioning themselves as the center-right "real" news alternative to Fox? That could be a lucrative space.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
        With the ascension of Lester Holt and the addition of Meghan Kelly, is NBC is consciously repositioning themselves as the center-right "real" news alternative to Fox? That could be a lucrative space.
        Is it even that lucrative? Good god, it seems like everyone is so far to one side or another that I've seen people even criticize Fox as being too liberal, if you can believe that.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
          Is it even that lucrative? Good god, it seems like everyone is so far to one side or another that I've seen people even criticize Fox as being too liberal, if you can believe that.
          Probably not.

Still, I'd still like to see somebody try and succeed at filling that space. The broadcast news landscape could use something in between RNC shills and DNC cheerleaders.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Probably not.

Still, I'd still like to see somebody try and succeed at filling that space. The broadcast news landscape could use something in between RNC shills and DNC cheerleaders.
            You could just, as a friend of mine once said, "take the red pill" and go full Info Wars. Conspiracy theories are super duper fun. Did you know that the Freemasons plotted 9/11 and Barack Obama was born on Jupiter?

Comment

You could just, as a friend of mine once said, "take the red pill" and go full Info Wars. Conspiracy theories are super duper fun. Did you know that the Freemasons plotted 9/11 and Barack Obama was born on Jupiter?
              I have a friend that absolutely loves conspiracy theories. There is some really funny stuff out there if you know where to look. He can do 30 minutes on the Kennedy assassination and on the moon landings with his eyes closed. I don't believe any of them, but the entertainment value is off the charts.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                I have a friend that absolutely loves conspiracy theories. There is some really funny stuff out there if you know where to look. He can do 30 minutes on the Kennedy assassination and on the moon landings with his eyes closed. I don't believe any of them, but the entertainment value is off the charts.
                I have a friend like that as well. It's entertaining but also somewhat frightening. I can't remember the Sandy Hook one, but I think that was the whole all those kids are actually still alive.

Comment

I have a friend like that as well. It's entertaining but also somewhat frightening. I can't remember the Sandy Hook one, but I think that was the whole all those kids are actually still alive.
                  I have actually thought about asking him to sign up and post on here, but he's very sensitive and I think he would get really upset as soon as someone mocked him, which obviously would happen immediately. I saw him over Christmas and he has a new one about Comcast that I really need to delve further into.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                    I have someone on my team that just told me he believes the moon landings never happened

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                      I have someone on my team that just told me he believes the moon landings never happened
                      Awesome. Give him a promotion

Comment

This is an excellent point I hadn't thought of. I hope there is a market for a fact-based, center-right news source. Maybe that is really the best way to combat what Fox has become, by giving reasonable, conservative minded folks a place to go for news that isn't batshit crazy, or clearly biased toward the left.

I think it is a false equivalency to compare the "MSM" with Fox, as if they are both equally full of crap, but I have to admit that MSNBC in particular certainly developed as being almost solely reactionary to the crazy on Fox, and has created a death-spiral between the two of each talking way too much about how crazy the other is, rather than focusing on the actual issues.

I think the country would be well served by a respected center-right news source that moderate Republicans can gravitate to, and away from what Fox has become.

Comment

Probably not.

Oh, it would be a very lucrative endeavor...the thing about cable news is that it costs very little to produce. You have talent, some of which is moderately expensive, and some very reasonable by TV standards. And you can work them pretty hard with little complaint. Also, you have 24 hours of commercial time to sell, you don't have to share with anyone. And even if the spots are cheap, they run a ton of them, roughly 16 minutes per hour, although that may have changed slightly.

I don't think that you'll see Lester on the cable side too much, but they keep trying to rehabilitate Brian Williams, which could work. Megyn is probably going to do very well, she's a smart woman...
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            I think it is a false equivalency to compare the "MSM" with Fox, as if they are both equally full of crap, but I have to admit that MSNBC in particular certainly developed as being almost solely reactionary to the crazy on Fox, and has created a death-spiral between the two of each talking way too much about how crazy the other is, rather than focusing on the actual issues.
                            For the record, I was not implying equivalency. Fox News is demonstrably more full of partisan crap than ABC, CBS, CNN, et al.

Comment

Working...
                            X