Recount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
    Jill Stein petitioning for a recount makes just a teeny bit more sense than me petitioning for a recount. It's not as if she has any chance to win...just like me!
    And if it's all about making sure all the votes are counted or whatever the myth the Stein team is pushing, why didn't they recount NH, another state where the margin is razor thin?

Comment

So my thoughts:

1. Stein is most likely being fed money from Clinton supporters.
      2. Nothing is going to change with who won each state.
      3. This makes the US election process look extremely weak throughout the world.
      4. Obama is right in his position to create a peaceful transition of power.
      5. This confirms that all politicians are hypocrites.
      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
        So my thoughts:
        3. This makes the US election process look extremely weak throughout the world.
        Just to respond as someone from outside your country ... sorry, I'm afraid that ship has sailed.

edit: for context, this is a BBC article from your last election cycle in 2012 ...

US election: How can it cost $6bn?

"The sky is the limit here," says Michael Toner, former chair of the US Federal Election Commission. "I don't think you can spend too much."
        It makes UK election spending look microscopic by comparison. A total of £31m ($49m) was spent by all parties in the last general election in the UK two years ago - making US spending 120 times as much, and 23 times as much per person.
        But, he says, "it all depends what apples and oranges you want to compare". Franz argues that US elections are "relatively cheap" when compared with spending on, for example, the US military operation in Afghanistan.
        Michael Toner has his own favourite analogy: "Americans last year spent over $7bn [£4.5bn] on potato chips - isn't the leader of the free world worth at least that?"
        Last edited by TranaGreg; 11-28-2016, 09:48 AM.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          Don't pull your shoulder out of your socket patting yourself for hitting a one in a million shot, nor should you bank your future on it. Someone always wins the lottery too. Empirical evidence is what any person SHOULD demand, not a shot in the dark, stab at something without have ANY evidence, other than wishful thinking on your part.

And your implication was clearly about the Clinton camp...you might fool yourself, but not others.

And I don't "bristle" at any criticism of HRC, rather I feel sadness for what is going to likely happen over the next 2-4 years. Lots of little people suffering, and the rich getting richer.
          Dude - anytime anyone over the last 16 months made a criticism of her or questioned her morals, integrity, trustworthiness or any other aspect of HRC - you spewed back more crap than just about anyone else here - except he who should be nameless (due to account deletion). You want to be sad about the next 2 - 4 years. You know who to blame?

The F'ing DNC! They moved all-in on THE WORST PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE EVER over 2 years ago. They tried to use some of these bullshit morality positions - like breaking the glass ceiling as a reason to be with her. As if a vote against HRC was a moral decision about whether you are a man lover or woman hater. They continued to frame much of this in terms of political correctness - forcing people to choose if they were willing to be a deplorable. They have pandered to the farthest left on their side and couldnt speak to the people in the middle. They have forgotten who they are and that their base in the past was the middle class. They put up HRC as candidate - the one making millions alone on speaking engagements to banks and other financial providers. When asked what she said to those giving her millions for her speaking, well she gave the middle class a big middle finger and said "Im not releasing those transcripts".

The DNC played a crooked game - they rigged the game in multiple instances. Maybe it was the Russians, or Assange, or some other hack... Here's the deal - we shouldn't care where the information that incriminated them came from - it proved that at least the primaries were a joke and Bernie had almost no shot getting the win. HRC - the wunderkind - HORRIBLE.

Dont blame the people that voted Trump - Blame your party who could have run ANY OTHER CANDIDATE and won this thing going away.

I will give you credit at least for one thing. At least you stayed around and faced the loss. If any "rightie" would have deleted their account after losing an avatar bet and saying give me your worst.... well I can only speculate what the talk would be. To date, I believe there were a couple notes that "he who shall be nameless" left and some of us saying that we wish that hadnt happened. The deplorables have not gloated about the win. The real life behavior of the left after the election has been what has been deplorable - protesting, #NotMyPresident, burning things, smashing cars all of it has been reprehensible bullshit encouraged by the party that lost and election by playing identity politics and again running the WORST PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE EVER.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            Why would people who criticized Trump's assertion that he might not 'accept' election results if he should lose, turn around and do the exact thing they railed against.
            While I understand why Gore pushed the issue in 2000 I have zero idea why a recount in WI makes any sense now. But to turn this part of your statement around, why should those threatening to challenge the election on 11/7/16 as they knew it was fixed (mainly right wing wackos) get upset when the other side does the exact thing they were threatening? Even if WI does turn Trump still wins. I think a better response from the (R) side would be something like "We agree that all votes should be counted accurately and support the process in WI. Regardless of this outcome Mr. Trump is the next president and we will continue working with our transition." But in this day and age I guess it is better to call it ridiculous and get upset about everything.

Comment

Originally posted by dslaw View Post
              While I understand why Gore pushed the issue in 2000 I have zero idea why a recount in WI makes any sense now. But to turn this part of your statement around, why should those threatening to challenge the election on 11/7/16 as they knew it was fixed (mainly right wing wackos) get upset when the other side does the exact thing they were threatening? Even if WI does turn Trump still wins. I think a better response from the (R) side would be something like "We agree that all votes should be counted accurately and support the process in WI. Regardless of this outcome Mr. Trump is the next president and we will continue working with our transition." But in this day and age I guess it is better to call it ridiculous and get upset about everything.
              I understand what you are saying and I agree to a large extent. I guess my main problem is not with Stein as she is proving to be a useful idiot for the Clintons. My problem is with the media who, rightfully IMO, harpooned Trump for saying at the debate he wouldn't accept the results. So many articles were written about he was tearing at the fabric of democracy and how outrageous this was. Now all I hear is crickets from the media and I think that is really problematic. It certainly will undermine their credibility with a lot of folks as the Yrump administration begins to actually govern.

Comment

_for the record -
                I am an Independent -
                Voted Against Trump ( I just don't think he is Qualified to be President but I hope I am wrong and he does a a great job -
                Meaning Voted Hillary -
                Voted Kasich in Primary
                But Most of the rest of my Ballot was for Republicans.

Most of the People I know/friends voted for Trump. Tho I don't think they are the " Deplorable's" she was talking about.

***** Most are not speaking up because hey are afraid - VERY AFRAID-****

Trump will turn out to be as bad as the left think or even worse. They do not rest easy having him as President. They voted for him Just because they VOTED FOR CHANGE . They did not vote for Trump THE MAN !!!!!! They are probably more frighten of this turning Bad and They and/or their party are going to be tainted for years of a President Trump REPUBLICAN.

Comment

Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                  I completely agree.

I make the statement because the left claims to be above such petty bullshit.

You know, they go low, we go high.

Now before I get jumped, I am the most liberal, farthest left person on this site. So I am just pointing out the hypocrisy of some, not indicting the entire group.

Comment

Not easy being damn near the Lone Ranger here, but WTF, I'll stick around to take the heat and hopefully talk some sense.

First, I sincerely doubt that the DNC OR the Clinton camp has anything to do with the recount other than being there to witness it. Marc Elias is the lawyer for for the campaign, and he pretty much wrote the book on recounts and how they're supposed to be conducted. He was here for the Franken recount, where he won by less than 300 votes. He's an observer, nothing more, nothing less.

Second. They have repeatedly said that they don't expect to see any change in results. Votes yes, it almost always happens that something gets a little screwed up. You just hope that it's not a BIG something.

Third, I know that some of you think that whatever Hillary does is pure evil, and I won't change your mind, because some actually believe that there's been 30+ years of criminal activity, and somehow they've managed to cover up the evidence. Pretty well impossible to murder and pillage to that extent, but facts will not change a mind that is already made up.

Fourth, Trump is MY President, and yours, and yours, and yours. Suck it up buttercup, because he's the man in the hot seat...for a while at least.

Fifth, do whatever you can to make the next 2-4-8 years as bearable as possible for all. Large or small, all actions have consequences...try to make them positive, don't be the asshole that yells on planes or belittles women and minorities. If you see someone doing those things, call 911 and report it, then wade in if you can to stop it.

Make this the best time for this country, it's literally in your hands. I'll be around to take your best shots...
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Large or small, all actions have consequences...try to make them positive, don't be the asshole that yells on planes or belittles women and minorities. If you see someone doing those things, call 911 and report it, then wade in if you can to stop it.
                      Why would we call the police if someone belittles women or minorities? If someone is physically assaulting someone - no matter woman, guy, black, white, any religion - for no reason then yes we should defend the weaker person. However, if you are advocating police monitoring peoples speech - I dont want to go down that road.
                      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Not easy being damn near the Lone Ranger here, but WTF, I'll stick around to take the heat and hopefully talk some sense.
                        Funny - throughout most of the last 16 months I felt as if I was one of only a few "conservatives". You are not the Lone Ranger - its just that Tonto has decided to find a new playground. Im sure down the road you and GITH will be on the same side of the fence and I will still be on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                          Why would we call the police if someone belittles women or minorities? If someone is physically assaulting someone - no matter woman, guy, black, white, any religion - for no reason then yes we should defend the weaker person. However, if you are advocating police monitoring peoples speech - I dont want to go down that road.
                          I don't see the need to involve the police, I do however see merit in making your distaste for what they're doing know immediately and documenting who they are and what they did and then posting it to social media.

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                            Funny - throughout most of the last 16 months I felt as if I was one of only a few "conservatives". You are not the Lone Ranger - its just that Tonto has decided to find a new playground. Im sure down the road you and GITH will be on the same side of the fence and I will still be on the other side.
                            First, I play second fiddle to no one

Second, we're all on the same side.

Finally, and most importantly, I have never wavered in my position so it's not that I found a new playground its that everyone I was hanging out with, went somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Hodor View Post
                              I don't see the need to involve the police, I do however see merit in making your distaste for what they're doing know immediately and documenting who they are and what they did and then posting it to social media.
                              I still am from the "Sticks and Stones" "words will never hurt me" world. Creating law to legislate peoples thought and speech is not a road that we should be going down.

Comment

Originally posted by Hodor View Post

First, I play second fiddle to no one

Second, we're all on the same side.

Finally, and most importantly, I have never wavered in my position so it's not that I found a new playground its that everyone I was hanging out with, went somewhere else.
                                Your not "Tonto" - "He who shall remain nameless" due to account deletion is Tonto.

Comment

Working...
                                X