Over/Under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over/Under

On how many of Trump's election promises are kept.

We already have the first sign of backpedaling as he's intimated he likely just overhaul Obamacare keeping some of the bill rather than completely repealing it.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    On how many of Trump's election promises are kept.

We already have the first sign of backpedaling as he's intimated he likely just overhaul Obamacare keeping some of the bill rather than completely repealing it.
    Isn't that a good thing?

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
      Isn't that a good thing?
      Absolutely--Keep the Pre-Condition part and the stay on your parents insurance part and fix the rest, like we've all been saying.

No I am just of the mid Trump said a lot of shit he won;t carry through on and disappoint his supporters. I'd say he'll reneg or ignore about 40% of his pre election promises.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

only 40? This is a guy who would take multiple positions in the same sentence.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          Absolutely--Keep the Pre-Condition part and the stay on your parents insurance part and fix the rest, like we've all been saying.

No I am just of the mid Trump said a lot of shit he won;t carry through on and disappoint his supporters. I'd say he'll reneg or ignore about 40% of his pre election promises.
          I agree and I I think it's fair to remember the guy was more or less a Democrat for the first 60 years of his life.....I think a lot of supporters are going to be disappointed and the Democrats might actually be able to get a few things they want. I think the behind the scenes battles (particularly within the GOP) will be fascinating. Mitch McConnell is already pushing back hard on term limits though I think there is some GOP support from some of their younger House members.
          Or I could be totally wrong....he's such a wildcard.

Comment

Doesn't appear to be draining the swamp.

Comment

There was a great line about Trump in the Atlantic. Reporters (and Democrats) take him literally but not seriously. His supporters take him seriously, but not literally.

If you take his campaign seriously but not literally, what has he promised? For example, take the wall seriously but not literally. What do you get? Treating the border as a genuine security issue is a start. Enforcement of existing law has a lot of slack to take up. A physical wall is not needed to keep that promise.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                only 40? This is a guy who would take multiple positions in the same sentence.
                Which is different than any other politician how?
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                  Which is different than any other politician how?
                  Artistic merit points.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    There was a great line about Trump in the Atlantic. Reporters (and Democrats) take him literally but not seriously. His supporters take him seriously, but not literally.

If you take his campaign seriously but not literally, what has he promised? For example, take the wall seriously but not literally. What do you get? Treating the border as a genuine security issue is a start. Enforcement of existing law has a lot of slack to take up. A physical wall is not needed to keep that promise.

J
                    So his supporters didn't think he was going to build a physical wall? In my experience, every single Trump supporter couldn't wait for the wall to get built.

Comment

Don't forget that he promised to get the auto industry back to Detroit and the steel mills back here in Western Pa (taking back the steel that went overseas). People here in western Pa really took that hook, line and sinker.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                        So his supporters didn't think he was going to build a physical wall? In my experience, every single Trump supporter couldn't wait for the wall to get built.
                        Of course he meant it literally...Trump is many things, subtle is NOT one of them.

I believe that he realized pretty quickly how asinine an idea it was, but it was resonating through the base, so he just kept repeating it.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                          I think if you check more closely, they cannot wait for the porous border to be sealed. The wall is a convenient symbol. What they really want is an attitude adjustment.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I believe that ILLEGAL Immigration is one of the primary planks that got him elected.

I dont believe that Americans really have much concern with LEGAL Immigration. There is a large segment of the country that sees ILLEGAL immigration as a large drain on social services - services that many would prefer to spend on people who are here legally and are citizens. That is not racist - that is looking of our country to enforce the immigration laws.
                            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Illegal immigration plummeted under Obama.
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                              X