What kind of movies do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    I did like it better, but both are unbelievable movies. I just loved the DeNiro flashback stuff an awful lot. I could probable figure a way to fit both into my top 20, though.
    Agree. There is an old limited edition VHS version of Godfather I & II that was edited into chronological order and also includes about an hours worth of deleted scenes. The film was originally made for a TV broadcast of both movies during the 80's and also aired on HBO recently. Always wanted to watch it this way but never got the chance. This version has never been released on dvd or bluray which is what i'm hoping for. Opinions vary on which is the better version.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      how many of my top 20 would be in your top 20?

1-Die Hard
      2-Tombstone
      3-GodFather 1 and 2
      4-Goodfellas

5-Jurasic Park
      6-Young Frankenstein
      7-Plains Trains Automobiles
      8-Kill Bill 1 and 2
      9-Fargo
      10-Rio Lobo
      11- Pulp Fiction
      12-Big Jake
      13-Raiders of the Lost Ark
      14-Get Shorty
      15-The Big Sleep
      16- The Bourne Identity
      17- 12 Angry Men
      18- Poltergeist
      19-Home Alone
      20- The Outlaw Josey Wales
      6 out of 20. I like most of the others although not in my top 20. Never saw Get Shorty. It's on my watch list now.

My top 20 in no particular order

Godfather I
      Godfather II
      Goodfellas
      Dark Knight
      Star Wars IV
      Raiders of the Lost Ark
      The Bourne Identity
      The Shawshank Redemption
      The Prestige
      Good Will Hunting
      Dead Poets Society
      The Green Mile
      The Usual Suspects
      Snatch
      Field of Dreams
      Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
      Uncle Buck
      Christmas Vacation
      Office Space
      Back to the Future (guilty pleasure)
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't know that many of these would make my personal top 20 (Pulp Fiction probably would, probably Raiders, maybe Fargo, probably Godfather 2, maybe a couple others) but I definitely like all of these movies. I really love spaghetti westerns - sounds like you do, too.
        I am a huge fan of westerns. I had high hopes for the new Magnificent Seven, but they have been tempered by early reports of mediocrity. Now I will wait until it comes to pay for view.

Comment

1-Die Hard
          2-Tombstone
          3-GodFather 1 and 2
          4-Goodfellas
          5-Jurasic Park
          6-Young Frankenstein
          7-Plains Trains Automobiles
          8-Kill Bill 1 and 2
          9-Fargo
          10-Rio Lobo
          11- Pulp Fiction
          12-Big Jake
          13-Raiders of the Lost Ark
          14-Get Shorty
          15-The Big Sleep
          16- The Bourne Identity
          17- 12 Angry Men
          18- Poltergeist
          19-Home Alone
          20- The Outlaw Josey Wales
          Those three make my Top 20, but only because I haven't seen Godfather 1 & 2 in almost 25 years. It may be time to get a refresher course.

I generally like comedy and action, and war movies top my list. Some others I'd add:

Saving Private Ryan
          Gladiator
          Letters from Iwo Jima
          Fletch
          Animal House
          The Blues Brothers
          Airplane!
          This is Spinal Tap
          Stripes
          Forrest Gump
          Inception
          The Prestige
          No Country for Old Men
          The Usual Suspects
          Back to the Future
          Reservoir Dogs
          Full Metal Jacket

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
            Agree. There is an old limited edition VHS version of Godfather I & II that was edited into chronological order and also includes about an hours worth of deleted scenes. The film was originally made for a TV broadcast of both movies during the 80's and also aired on HBO recently. Always wanted to watch it this way but never got the chance. This version has never been released on dvd or bluray which is what i'm hoping for. Opinions vary on which is the better version.
            It's called The Godfather Saga, I recently watched it, and found that I prefer the original sequencing better. I believe it is currently available on HBO Go, 7 1/2 hours!
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I am a huge fan of westerns. I had high hopes for the new Magnificent Seven, but they have been tempered by early reports of mediocrity. Now I will wait until it comes to pay for view.
              I went and saw it with my son and really enjoyed it. Definitely worth seeing, but waiting until PPV wouldn't be a terrible deal.
              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Kind of the same thing for me with The Hateful Eight, which I thought was decidedly mediocre. There have been some really awesome modern westerns, though, from The Unforgiven to the True Grit remake to Django Unchained. 3:10 to Yuma was also quite good.

I've heard good things about the Tommy Lee Jones western The Homesman from a couple years ago. Have you seen that?
                I agree with your take on The Hateful Eight. Some bright spots, but seemed like the 13 year old side of Tarantino won the day.

I have never heard of The Homesman until reading your post. I just read about it. Some big names and an interesting plot. I will be checking it out when time allows.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                  I went and saw it with my son and really enjoyed it. Definitely worth seeing, but waiting until PPV wouldn't be a terrible deal.
                  I am glad to read this. Thanks for the input.

Comment

i think my favorite movie is Grand Tour - A Disaster in Time, 1992 with Jeff Daniels. i definitely only look for time travel movies first. not much action but it had everything.

then a solid number 2 is the time machine remake with guy pierce. for the longest time i didn't understand why he couldn't change the past even tho i already knew the answer. which the morlock told him. because he invented the time machine after his girlfriend had died.

im not really sure after that. i might try to throw the movie white fang out there somewhere. that was one summer where i went to the movies by myself and there was hardly anyone in the theater. i saw hamlet with mel gibson that year. that was fascinating for me. the way they talked. the verbal sparring and such. my first introduction to shakespeare.

i'd have to say 1984 too. that was a fucked up year for me. i had been committed to DSS for no real reason at age 16. so i had to wait the year out while the movies where talking about all this big brother stuff. who knew when i finally saw the movie much later that it was a lot more interesting.

also im not a fan of 2001 a space odyssey. go figure. i love sci-fi but totally dislike astronaut movies. i can't stand them. but the ending did occur to me. im not sure but what i think stanley kubrick was saying is God was building himself. if you think of the idea that the universe is building something. perhaps God is rebuilding himself. i mean we'll never know.

but transformers 1986 cartoon movie is definitely up there. only other movie like that is heavy metal.

Comment

[QUOTE=nullnor;265726
                      but transformers 1986 cartoon movie is definitely up there. only other movie like that is heavy metal.[/QUOTE]

Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                        i think my favorite movie is Grand Tour - A Disaster in Time, 1992 with Jeff Daniels. i definitely only look for time travel movies first. not much action but it had everything.

then a solid number 2 is the time machine remake with guy pierce. for the longest time i didn't understand why he couldn't change the past even tho i already knew the answer. which the morlock told him. because he invented the time machine after his girlfriend had died.
                        Have you watched Looper, Live Die Repeat, or Predestination? Those three were also decent time travel movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker765 View Post
                          Have you watched Looper, Live Die Repeat, or Predestination? Those three were also decent time travel movies.
                          yeah Looper was REALLY good. might've been the only one i've seen where once the timelines converge it turns into one timeline and the past disappears. it's certainly a possibility. logically. im not really sure i've seen a time travel movie do that before. i'll have to check out Live Die Repeat. i tried to watch Predestination but im not really into detective catching the bad guy stuff. Gregg recommended it to me once, i should watch it.

Comment

not to hog the discussion but i do like how everyone likes the movie planes trains and automobiles. ..i was playing a zombie game called die2nite and was in a coa with a really angry dude for like a year. but i eventually went nuclear and left. i kind of miss him. i mean it's a good game but most of the games by that company except that one is for kids. so he's like yelling at 12 year olds all the time. he was there when i found the dying mouse and saved it. and everything else in my life at the time.

so i was driving home one day after i left the coa, and shunned him during the game to boot, and it was like that movie. how he used to be in the army. and lived on the first floor of an apartment. yet he had a lot of free time to play the game. and then i realized i think he was disabled. and that's one of the reasons he was angry all the time. just like in the movie when steve martin realized.

although i think that fucking game banned me from making any more accounts and even banned me from making a pay account. i did message him with another account i had saying it wasn't him and that i just freaked out. but im still kind of glad to be free of him.

anyways, we definitely need a john candy movie in here somewhere. and some good 80's soundtrack to go with it.

Comment

Frequency was another good time travel movie that i liked. Also liked Deja Vu with Denzel Washington.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Primer is the one to watch
                                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                                X