The 'Right' Thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Progress is slow and difficult. All of those toxins will still be around long after we're gone. Accepting that yet continuing to still fight against them is the challenge.
    Do you honestly think it's a fight that can be won?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Left to their own devices, kids will fuck up.
      Yep.

We do not teach our kids how to lie, hit, push, take what is not theirs, talk back, have temper tantrums, throw things, be sneaky. We have to teach them not to do these things.

On the other hand I do not believe kids are born bigots. Unfortunately they are taught that.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        Do I think racism, misogyny, and bigotry will be completely eradicated? No I don't. But that doesn't mean real tangible progress that improves the lives of millions of people won't be attained.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Yep.

We do not teach our kids how to lie, hit, push, take what is not theirs, talk back, have temper tantrums, throw things, be sneaky. We have to teach them not to do these things.

On the other hand I do not believe kids are born bigots. Unfortunately they are taught that.

So we are born violent, deceitful thieves?
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Not on a global scale, but on an individual ones. Teach your children well...

Comment

So we are born violent, deceitful thieves?
              No we're born helpless.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

No we're born helpless.
                So again, left alone, children will fuck up why? If they haven't been taught to, why will they fuck up?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  Not on a global scale, but on an individual ones. Teach your children well...
                  But we live IN the world, not alone in our house with our family. So we should just accept that we will never live in a place where Hate and Ugliness does not exist?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

But we live IN the world, not alone in our house with our family. So we should just accept that we will never live in a place where Hate and Ugliness does not exist?
                    This reminds me of a question my religious friend asked me, 'So we should just believe there is no God?'
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

This reminds me of a question my religious friend asked me, 'So we should just believe there is no God?'
                      Doesn't answer the question.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Doesn't answer the question.
                        It's entirely up to the individual.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

So again, left alone, children will fuck up why? If they haven't been taught to, why will they fuck up?
                          Because we are animals that need to be socialized.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Because we are animals that need to be socialized.
                            So then, if I may, the best way to advance our society would be to make becoming a parent a privileged rather than a right, so that we might have the least toxic teaching the future citizens of the world?

I mean doing otherwise seems to be about as an effective plan as dancing down the street singing a Doris Day song

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I think it's very much like B Fly said, some things are hardwired, others learned.

I guess my question now is this:

If the majority of Right vs wrong is taught--How will we, as a society, ever advance past petty prejudices?

If Racism is taught, Homophobia and Misogyny, How will we ever advance past these things? Not to mention Greed and Selfishness.

Taught.

So how do we survive these obvious toxins? How do we prevent them? How do we eradicate them?
                              Obviously it's not easy, but isn't this better than the alternative? If racism, homophobia and misogyny were primarily hard-wired, we'd be in a much worse position. If they're primarily taught, then presumably we can take steps to un-teach, re-teach, or teach better from inception. Awareness of and education about the ways in which we as parents and as a society teach racism, homophobia and misogyny (often subconsciously), and strategies on how to avoid teaching racism, homophobia and misogyny can bear fruit.

Comment

So then, if I may, the best way to advance our society would be to make becoming a parent a privileged rather than a right, so that we might have the least toxic teaching the future citizens of the world?
                                But it wouldn't because we as a society have rightfully deemed that an abhorrent practice. Pure statism is much worse than our current societal ills.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X