The Republican National Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    Just to clarify - I dont consider myself a Republican as I have not voted major party for over 10 years.
    ha sw

got it - and neither major party candidate has swayed you this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Oh, hell, yeah, I'm voting for him. It's all about SCOTUS for me. One vacancy, three others 77 years old or more.

Everything else is BS, smoke and mirrors, and vacuous talk. The next president will almost certainly have the power to reshape SCOTUS for the next 10-20 years.
      I respect that. I'd probably vote for a Democratic scumbag/clown (no, I don't place Hillary in that category -- maybe John Edwards) over almost any Republican for the same reason.

Comment

Oh, hell, yeah, I'm voting for him. It's all about SCOTUS for me. One vacancy, three others 77 years old or more.

Everything else is BS, smoke and mirrors, and vacuous talk. The next president will almost certainly have the power to reshape SCOTUS for the next 10-20 years.
        wait, so you think the Citizen's United decision is a good thing, and the EPA is bad? Because that's the SC you are voting for if you are voting for Trump. Please confirm
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

This is the absolute only reason I'd consider voting for Trump.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
            This is the absolute only reason I'd consider voting for Trump.
            which legal masterminds do you think Trump would nominate
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• It seems that the fallout from Melania's speech may now metastasize into a campaign finance law scandal, as Melania's speechwriter was paid not by the Trump campaign but by the corporate Trump Organization (on which letterhead the apologia was written and in which McIver indicated she offered her resignation), and was never reported as an in-kind donation by the Trump Organization.

Comment

Do you really think Trump appointees will be good for the country?

My thinking is that the Senate would regulate any crazy nominees HRC might make, just like a conservative Senate drew a Garland nomination from Obama. If she did nominate someone out there, the Senate wouldn't confirm.

OTOH, what is to keep Trump from nominating someone like Chris Christie and the Senate confirming him? Or friggin' Harriet Myers?

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                  What say our republicans here? BG said he won't vote for either. Chance? OJ? Others?
                  A gun to my head being told I must vote for Trump or Clinton, I'm voting Clinton.

Fortunately I don't have a gun to my head, so I'm most likely voting Johnson.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                    It seems that the fallout from Melania's speech may now metastasize into a campaign finance law scandal, as Melania's speechwriter was paid not by the Trump campaign but by the corporate Trump Organization (on which letterhead the apologia was written and in which McIver indicated she offered her resignation), and was never reported as an in-kind donation by the Trump Organization.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/201...-s-rnc-n614131
                    He got a really good deal on speechwriters, the best, the best deal for the best speechwriter....

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                      A gun to my head being told I must vote for Trump or Clinton, I'm voting Clinton.

Fortunately I don't have a gun to my head, so I'm most likely voting Johnson.
                      I feel pretty much the same way. If there were a third, fourth, fifth or sixth party that had a good chance to beat Trump, I'd give them a spin.

The deeper we go into this, the more I'm voting against someone against someone instead of for someone, which I don't like. But if Trump is such a great businessman, why can't he and his organization pull off a four day convention without looking like the Marx Brothers?

Comment

• Maybe Bernie can save us all :P
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                          It stills boils down to
                          Has Trump rousted more previously non voting racist wingnuts
                          Than
                          Scared off conservative and moderate republicans
                          In key states
                          What say our republicans here? BG said he won't vote for either. Chance? OJ? Others?
                          While I consider myself an independent, there is no chance I will be voting for Donald Trump (or Hillary Clinton). These are the two worst candidates I have seen in my lifetime (that includes Dukakis).
                          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• I find it really interesting that people continue to ride the "Hillary is crooked", meme. Other than social media constantly pimping the concept, there's no evidence that she's ever done anything remotely approaching criminal activity. She's probably the most investigated politician we have on the National scene, and she's survived each and every investigation (politically motivated) with little to no harm. Has she done some dumb things like the email server? Sure, but it's the exact same thing that her predecessor did.I just wish that people would be without Facebook and Twitter for a political cycle so that they could actually make up their minds on the facts, rather than who had the cleverest meme.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                              wait, so you think the Citizen's United decision is a good thing, and the EPA is bad? Because that's the SC you are voting for if you are voting for Trump. Please confirm
                              Yes, I think Citizen's United was the right decision, as I've written on in the Sports Bar before. I'm a hardcore free speech person.

As for the latter, that's a wholly nonsensical question. There's been no SCOTUS cases dealing with eliminating the EPA as a federal agency, nor are there any such cases up. There's not even any such cases winding through lower courts. SCOTUS does not control EPA funding; that's controlled by the Legislature and approved by the President. Hell, even the strongly GOP led House hasn't even threatened to eliminate the EPA.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                                Do you really think Trump appointees will be good for the country?
                                Dunno. I have no idea who or even what type of person Trump would appoint.

My thinking is that the Senate would regulate any crazy nominees HRC might make, just like a conservative Senate drew a Garland nomination from Obama. If she did nominate someone out there, the Senate wouldn't confirm.
                                The Senate only was able to pull it off due to the proximity of the election. They'll go down faster than an int...never mind, they'll fold up when the political going gets tough if HRC is elected.

OTOH, what is to keep Trump from nominating someone like Chris Christie and the Senate confirming him? Or friggin' Harriet Myers?
                                Nothing. I just don't think he will. If he throws the right a couple of bones on SCOTUS, they'd vote for him again under just about any circumstances. In real estate terms, that's almost as good as using other people's money.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X