No announcement yet.

The Republican National Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RNC mea culpa, Melania's speech was apparently stolen from Twilight Sparkle, not Michelle Obama.

Republicans have come up with a new excuse for Melania Trump's convention speech plagiarism. According to the RNC, Mrs. Trump may have lifted phrases from My Little Pony, not First Lady Michelle Ob...

Twilight Sparkle probably stole it from Michelle Obama, though...lazy, cheating filly.

Comment

I am not particularly surprised about Trump, but I am surprised by how many people voted/will vote for him. His craziness is appealing to them and that stuns me. I didn't realized how big the tea party had become in the Republican party and just how far it had gone off the mainstream. And even that niche is not big enough to explain his popularity. He is the symptom and not the cause of what we are in the middle of right now.

And the new official Republican platform scares me. It officially includes the Mexican wall, no exceptions for rape/incest in abortion, teaching the Bible in public schools as a class, coal is clean energy, same sex marriage bans, bathroom gender, restricting gun magazine capacity, etc. You can't blame Trump for this platform. This isn't the "presidential" platform -- this is the Republican platform.

Some of those things aren't wild on their own, but is the bathroom gender such a critical issue that it goes into the party platform? Is trying to find some way to reduce gun violence while respecting ownership (magazine clip size, background checks, etc) so terrible? Apparently the answer is yes: "We oppose ill-conceived laws that would restrict magazine capacity or ban the sale of the most popular and common modern rifle. We also oppose any effort to deprive individuals of their right to keep and bear arms without due process of law."

I am beginning to think the Republican "big tent" isn't happening this year.

Comment

Wow, an airhead ex-supermodel used the same generic political speech boilerplate that's been used about 100 million times before? Shocking!

Pro tip for Democrat 'splodey heads: When you feign outrage about stupid things, it diminishes the plausability of your outrage about serious things.

Now call off your despicable War On Women already...
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          Wow, an airhead ex-supermodel used the same generic political speech boilerplate that's been used about 100 million times before? Shocking!

Pro tip for Democrat 'splodey heads: When you feign outrage about stupid things, it diminishes the plausability of your outrage about serious things.

Is anyone actually outraged, or are they just laughing at the Trump campaign?

Comment

Hmmm...so you're outraged...about their apparent outrage....

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              Is anyone actually outraged, or are they just laughing at the Trump campaign?
              Google "Melania Trump speech," read the first five or ten results, and tell me if you think the media is just having a laugh, or is reporting it a serious issue.

Hopefully you're right, and people have gotten wise to this nonsense and are treating it like the joke that it is.
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Media needs Trump's campaign for ratings. Twitter is having a damn ball with this and that is what has been fun

Comment

Google "Melania Trump speech," read the first five or ten results, and tell me if you think the media is just having a laugh, or is reporting it a serious issue.

Hopefully you're right, and people have gotten wise to this nonsense and are treating it like the joke that it is.
                  But something as relatively minor as this continues to confirm how unprepared the Trump campaign actually is. Like they can't be bothered, and that they have too many other distractions to care all that much. Maybe it goes hand in hand with the low amount of employees they have, but between this and the supposed speakers that ended up umm, not even really having been invited, this is making a mockery of the GOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                    Hmmm...so you're outraged...about their apparent outrage....
                    The dancing pickle signifies amusement, not outrage.

Now when posters rant about assholes and attention whores... that's seems a little more outrage-y, don'tcha think?

Comment

Hahahahaha. I laugh to show that I am not outraged by this either.

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep
                        Yes, his campaign sucks, his party sucks, and their platform sucks. Who's arguing that?
                        They are?

Comment

I did the Google. It looks a handful of political speechwriters may be genuinely outraged, and some people are outraged by the denial of plagiarism. While I find this funny, I ultimately would disagree with your suggestion above that this is just generic political language and that the similarities are therefore likely inadvertent. Given the number of identical words and phrases within those two paragraphs, I do believe that somebody involved in the writing of Melania's speech did plagiarize Michelle's speech. Is that super important in this election? Of course not. But it makes the denials worthy of ridicule.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            But something as relatively minor as this continues to confirm how unprepared the Trump campaign actually is. Like they can't be bothered, and that they have too many other distractions to care all that much. Maybe it goes hand in hand with the low amount of employees they have, but between this and the supposed speakers that ended up umm, not even really having been invited, this is making a mockery of the GOP.
                            Yes, his campaign sucks, his party sucks, and their platform sucks. No argument there. I'm just saying that when his opponents get sucked into his vortex of nonsense and respond with nonsense of their own, it probably only helps him.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              I did the Google. It looks a handful of political speechwriters may be genuinely outraged, and some people are outraged by the denial of plagiarism. While I find this funny, I ultimately would disagree with your suggestion above that this is just generic political language and that the similarities are therefore likely inadvertent. Given the number of identical words and phrases within those two paragraphs, I do believe that somebody involved in the writing of Melania's speech did plagiarize Michelle's speech. Is that super important in this election? Of course not. But it makes the denials worthy of ridicule.
                              Well, if it was any other campaign, I'd say there's no way they'd be stupid enough to purposefully rip a "first lady" speech from a recent "first lady" speech. Who knows, maybe they did. It seems to me like they both used the same generic drivel I've heard in any number of political speeches, but it was proven to be true, it wouldn't surprise me.
                              Last edited by senorsheep; 07-19-2016, 04:28 PM.

Comment

if you can't even run a convention right, how can you run a country.....I'm rooting for a norovirus outbreak next!
                                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                                X