White House Releases Obama Birth Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
    That's the dumbest f*cking thing you've ever said, you pinko commie!
    With your courteous permission, I request to kindly register a slight bit of dismay with that less than fully exemplary attitude.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      I oppose civility mandates/regulations. I have no problem with public exhortations to disagree with each other more agreeably.
      yeah but calling someone a dick, when they deserve it is so satisfying!
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        With your courteous permission, I request to kindly register a slight bit of dismay with that less than fully exemplary attitude.
        I am sufficiently chastised.

:muttering under his breath: Dick...
        “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
          That's the dumbest f*cking thing you've ever said, you pinko commie!
          Be nice, or B-Fly will bestride you like a colossus.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            makes it easier to kick him in the nuts.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              What's the past tense of bestride? Bestrode?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                What's the past tense of bestride? Bestrode?
                That sounds like something that you could be arrested for in Arkansas in the 1970s....

Comment

I don't like Savage at all, except for his dog and boat tangents (people are complicated, as I like to say). I love that we live in a country where he can vent like he does. And that Air America took so many inane calls for years about how Bush planned the 9-11 attacks and got "the Jews" out of the buildings.

Both parts of those statements are preposterous, but I don't want the government shutting down "unacceptable" commentary of any kind, pretty much.

"[Savage] is banned from appearing in the UK because he's an extremist."

Do you think he's actually more dangerous than, say, countless Middle Eastern terrorist group leaders who can enter the UK at will? If Savage lands in London (and he has a history there from his advanced botany background), do you think he's likely to open fire on innocent civilians? Or anyone?

He's seen as dangerous because he says outrageous and unpopular things. But I don't know that he's ever called for violence. There's a big difference.

There are two VERY separate free speech issues.

- One is the First Amendment. If the government gets to decide who gets to speak, it can get very scary real fast.

- The other is the marketplace. Say what you want, but you might lose all your customers. That's the public making their own choices.

Too often the two are intermingled.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Haven't heard those specifics, but he's not exactly organizing a group a la Hamas, is he?

He rants and he's awful. And if he is silenced, many on the left are doomed as well.

I'd say either push to eliminate unpopular speech on both sides, or neither. I vote neither.

But don't pick just one...

And I have 2 nephews on the autistic spectrum, one with Down Syndrome and the other with Asperger's on the other end of it. I can be offended and still defend someone's right to speak. That is the American Way.

Governmental shutdown of speech is more dangerous than stupid public comments.

I thought tolerance was about letting all sides speak [outside of shouting fire in a crowded theater or burning a flag at a WFW rally], not just the preferred versions.
                    Last edited by Judge Jude; 05-03-2011, 11:16 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      Haven't heard those specifics, but he's not exactly organizing a group a la Hamas, is he?

He rants and he's awful. And if he is silenced, many on the left are doomed as well.

I'd say either push to eliminate unpopular speech on both sides, or neither. I vote neither.

But don't pick just one...

And I have 2 nephews on the autistic spectrum, one with Down Syndrome and the other with Asperger's on the other end of it. I can be offended and still defend someone's right to speak. That is the American Way.

Governmental shutdown of speech is more dangerous than stupid public comments.
                      I see you clarified as I was responding here. I'd love to see his voice and others like him silenced, but by the marketplace, not by the government.
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

"I see you clarified as I was responding here. I'd love to see his voice and others like him silenced, but by the marketplace, not by the government."

Two different animals, as you well know.

Although a well-organized public boycott against a well-known media personality may incite an arms war, so to speak.

Not nearly as scary as government stepping in, but I would not hail Michael Savage being ousted, and then Randi Rhodes on the left, and then....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Well, if calls for violence as you descibe it are eliminators, then many on the left have a lot to worry about as well, I think...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                            Well, if calls for violence as you descibe it are eliminators, then many on the left have a lot to worry about as well, I think...
                            I don't think anyone here is calling for government shutdowns of people like Savage. Just that we wish people would come to their senses and ignore them. I'm not quite sure why you and Chancellor are defending their rights so strongly, since no one here is calling for government censorship.

Comment

Savage is already banned in the UK, and I fear far-left speaker speakers there will soon be in the same boat.

Not sure why the sentiment might not expand here.

I also sometmes sort of wish that people would follow what most of us agree are rational parameters.

And if they don't?

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                                I don't think anyone here is calling for government shutdowns of people like Savage. Just that we wish people would come to their senses and ignore them. I'm not quite sure why you and Chancellor are defending their rights so strongly, since no one here is calling for government censorship.
                                Simple: because many are calling for censorship, even if they're not on Rotojunkie. The trend toward censorship of free speech is sadly advancing at far too great a rate for my liking. As I mentioned earlier, the most egregious violations are on college campuses. But I'm under no illusions that either the right or left would love to censor free speech they disagree with, and that's what's at the center of the political movement toward "civility". In my own state, for example, Tammy Baldwin and Herb Kohl were quite vocal about "civility" after the Gifford shooting, but couldn't find the energy to provide any worthwhile condemnation of the hundreds of violent placards and speeches given during the whole union standoff in Madison. It's clear they're simply examples of politicians on both sides of the aisle that hold this simple belief: Free speech is great until you disagree with me. Then you're "uncivil". Then you're "inciting violence". Then you're "racist". Then you're "immoral".

Comment

Working...
                                X