White House Releases Obama Birth Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Free speech is great until you disagree with me. Then you're "uncivil". Then you're "inciting violence". Then you're "racist". Then you're "immoral".
    You still fail to distinguish between calls for civility from politicians, as opposed to the general public and the media.

Comment

There is a big difference between a private citizen asking for civility and respect, and a government movement to limit free speech. Just because I'm for one doesn't mean I'm for the other.
      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

When you ask for civility and respect from the other side, but ignore breaches of civility and respect on your own side, it calls your motives into question. If you call out Rush Limbaugh or Tea Partiers for their mode of expression, but ignore similar conduct from Keith Olbermann or pro-union rent-a-mobs, or vice versa, then I'm more inclined to believe your issue is with what is being said, or who is saying it, not how it is being said. If you want to demand civility, fine, demand it from everyone. If you want to decry incivility, fine, then decry it from all quarters. If you don't like the substance of what is being said, then just say so, rather than hiding behind concerns about civility and respect.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          When you ask for civility and respect from the other side, but ignore breaches of civility and respect on your own side, it calls your motives into question. If you call out Rush Limbaugh or Tea Partiers for their mode of expression, but ignore similar conduct from Keith Olbermann or pro-union rent-a-mobs, or vice versa, then I'm more inclined to believe your issue is with what is being said, or who is saying it, not how it is being said. If you want to demand civility, fine, demand it from everyone. If you want to decry incivility, fine, then decry it from all quarters. If you don't like the substance of what is being said, then just say so, rather than hiding behind concerns about civility and respect.
          Winner: Post of the day 5/5/11

Comment

I much more expect it from people I agree with. It's why I couldn't listen to Air America. I expect people I disagree with to act douchy and don't get too upset when they do.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              I much more expect it from people I agree with. It's why I couldn't listen to Air America. I expect people I disagree with to act douchy and don't get too upset when they do.
              LOL. I hear ya. That's why I spend my days here chastising and bickering with people who are, for the most part, on the same side as me.
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

LOL. I hear ya. That's why I spend my days here chastising and bickering with people who are, for the most part, on the same side as me.
                If you're a Sirius/XM subscriber, I highly recommend the POTUS channel - especially Pete Dominic's show from 3-6 ET. Best political talk on the airwaves, IMO

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  Air America was terrible for just that reason. I couldn't handle it in the same manner I cannot handle Bill Maher, Michael Moore, and any number of other strident liberals. I tend to feel that I'm on "the right side", as presumably most people do, and it kills me to see a viewpoint I agree with presented in a dishonest, overly simplistic, or "blame the other side" manner. Air America, especially, was guilty of that kind of attitude --- the whole, "If I paint the other side to be awful then somehow I win by default" concept.
                  Yes, Air America was pretty awful. I couldn't listen to it at all. It was exactly everything I despise about right-wing talk radio, but ten times worse for me because it was coming from "my side" of the issues.

Comment

I hate what some people say but believe in their right to say it as I also invoke my right to speak my mind (which can be acerbic from time to time)

Is it me or has Ed Schultz taken over Olbermann's position as the far left whack?
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      Yes, Air America was pretty awful. I couldn't listen to it at all. It was exactly everything I despise about right-wing talk radio, but ten times worse for me because it was coming from "my side" of the issues.
                      It's kind of like being in the bar with a friend who's killing any chance you might have of scoring with these girls you just met, amiright?
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        Ol' Pistol Pete. He's a pretty decent guy (for a Republican ) who kind of got unfairly besmirched by the whole Alfredo Gonzalez fiasco. I also picked him in the Death Pool.

I assume this is the former Senator from New Mexico you're talking about.
                        No....this guy

seriously, he pulls some amazing guests. He's a self-professed Libertarian that leans slightly left on stuff, but brings people in on all sides of the issues and some of his callers deserve their own show. Eddie from New York is awesome

Comment

Working...
                        X