No announcement yet.

Clerk who refused same sex marriage licenses put in jail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“God has appointed two kinds of government in the world, which are distinct in their nature, and ought never to be confounded together; one of which is called civil, the other ecclesiastical government.”
    ~Founding Father Isaac Backus, An Appeal to the Public for Religious Liberty, 1773

Comment

I missed that she was elected. Agree all around. If you are unwilling to do the job you were elected to do, you should resign.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

it was easy to perform her job when she could keep her bigotry in her pocket and use it to issue licenses that fit her little world. Now that she's under federal obligation to issue licenses she does not find morally acceptable, she has a choice to make.

I guess we'll see how far she'll go to protect her religious rights to be a bigot.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          But she objected because her name would still be on the marriage license as the approving official.
          And there is where her argument really breaks down. When she signs the marriage certificate, she is NOT "approving" or "sanctioning" the marriage. She is only saying that the two people who applied for the certificate are legally qualified to marry. For example, they are over 18, etc. That's it. That's her job, for which they pay her 80 grand a year with tax dollars, including tax dollars from gay people.

So lets say a male and female are marrying and she knows the male is a wife-beater. Does she "sanction" or "approve" their marriage by signing the license? No, she just says they meet the legal qualifications to marry. It is not her job to pass moral judgment on that marriage. It is her job to certify the legal qualifications have been met.

I can only imagine the very next short step, where some clerk refuses to issue a license to an interracial couple based on his or her sincere Biblical belief that such marriages are wrong. Would anyone think that is a valid exercise of religious freedom from a government official? Because there is zero difference between that example and what is happening in Kentucky.
          “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
          -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

So now thee Öath Keepers" have stated they intend to patrol Davis's town to prevent her from being arrested again.

Please Ms Davis, refuse to do your job again.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              She is now altering the marriage licenses of same sex couples in an effort to make them different or substandard.

She's being hailed as a hero by bigoted Christians all over the country, asserting that hers is merely a statement supporting religious freedom. I'm sure Mike Huckabee and other bigots would happily support a Muslim DMV clerk who refused to issue driver's licenses to women, right? Right? Religious freedom, right?

Fundamentalist Christianity is a plague on this nation.

Edit: As someone has asked, just how many times do we have to flush this particular turd before she goes away?
              Call Roto Rooter.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Here is how all this plays out: In the spring, the Kentucky legislature passes a law that the clerk's name no longer has to appear on the license. They add some superfluous language that issuing the license doesn't mean the clerk is approving the marriage, just certifying the marriage meets the legal requirements. (Which is what the law means anyway.) Davis starts issuing the new licenses, and makes a butt-load of money giving speeches to right wing groups about how her religious rights were tramples by the liberal Supreme Court but that Jesus helped her through her times of trouble. She is then elected Governor of Kentucky.

And I'm not kidding about any of this. (Well, maybe the last sentence. But I guarantee she is re-elected as Clerk and maybe even moves up the ladder to County Executive.)
                “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
                  Here is how all this plays out: In the spring, the Kentucky legislature passes a law that the clerk's name no longer has to appear on the license. They add some superfluous language that issuing the license doesn't mean the clerk is approving the marriage, just certifying the marriage meets the legal requirements. (Which is what the law means anyway.) Davis starts issuing the new licenses, and makes a butt-load of money giving speeches to right wing groups about how her religious rights were tramples by the liberal Supreme Court but that Jesus helped her through her times of trouble. She is then elected Governor of Kentucky.

And I'm not kidding about any of this. (Well, maybe the last sentence. But I guarantee she is re-elected as Clerk and maybe even moves up the ladder to County Executive.)
                  Hardly surprising she could win reelection given how conservative Rowan County is. You won't lose many elections by having her type of views there.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                    Hardly surprising she could win reelection given how conservative Rowan County is. You won't lose many elections by having her type of views there.
                    She barely - barely - won the last time when she was succeeding her very popular mother. The next election won't even be close.
                    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

So...in your first post you said she's going to win reelection and in your second you say she isn't?

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                        So...in your first post you said she's going to win reelection and in your second you say she isn't?
                        LOL, no, I mean the next time she runs for election it isn't going to be as close as the first time she won. She is going to win in a landslide.
                        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

LOL, no, I mean the next time she runs for election it isn't going to be as close as the first time she won. She is going to win in a landslide.
                          that is shameful
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                            that is shameful
                            That's almost four years in the future, but that's my guess. Morehead University it in that county, but it's mostly Dogpatch. Most county clerks stay until they are carried out feet first. Her mother was county clerk there for a long time, if memory serves. So unless she decides to run for another office, my guess is that you are looking at the Rowan County Clerk for the next 20 years or so.

At 80 grand a year.
                            -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

That's almost four years in the future, but that's my guess. Morehead University it in that county, but it's mostly Dogpatch. Most county clerks stay until they are carried out feet first. Her mother was county clerk there for a long time, if memory serves. So unless she decides to run for another office, my guess is that you are looking at the Rowan County Clerk for the next 20 years or so.

At 80 grand a year.
                              Why is the salary so high?
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Ah...I misunderstood. Sorry

Comment

Working...
                                X