Clerk who refused same sex marriage licenses put in jail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clerk who refused same sex marriage licenses put in jail

This should add some fuel to the fire for the separation of church and state.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/03/politi...vis/index.html
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Fuck her. She's an asshole who should be fired. Or rot in jail.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Religious freedom is a concept you get to pursue to protect yourself from the state. Not when you're acting on behalf of the state. She's an idiot.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

The Virgin Mary made her do it.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Yeah, jail seems odd. That does seem like it should be protected by freedom of religion. The state shouldn't be able to lock you up for practicing your religion. She should just be fired for refusing to do her job.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            Yeah, jail seems odd. That does seem like it should be protected by freedom of religion. The state shouldn't be able to lock you up for practicing your religion. She should just be fired for refusing to do her job.
            It's an elected position, so I'm pretty sure that she can't be fired for not doing her job until her term is up. As far as fines go, they'd likely be paid by supporters...so jail was the Judges only alternative to get things rolling in the clerks office.

BTW, the Judge is Judge Bunning, son of Jim Bunning...and appointed by President Bush.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

best meme:

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                It's an elected position, so I'm pretty sure that she can't be fired for not doing her job until her term is up. As far as fines go, they'd likely be paid by supporters...so jail was the Judges only alternative to get things rolling in the clerks office.

BTW, the Judge is Judge Bunning, son of Jim Bunning...and appointed by President Bush.
                From what I understand, the legislature is the only body that can remove her from her job, by the process of impeachment. I agree with Horns that I don't think the judge can remove her from office.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  Defying a court order is contempt of court. I'm not surprised she got jailed.
                  Ding. Exactly what I thought when I heard about her being thrown in jail. I'm sure as soon as she agrees to start issuing licenses again, they'll let her out. And when she fails to issue licenses again, back in the clink!
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                    Ding. Exactly what I thought when I heard about her being thrown in jail. I'm sure as soon as she agrees to start issuing licenses again, they'll let her out. And when she fails to issue licenses again, back in the clink!
                    It sounds like the judge was willing to let her go if she would agree that her deputy clerks could issue marriage licenses in her stead, and five of her six deputies stated they were willing to do that. But she objected because her name would still be on the marriage license as the approving official. I guess the deputies cannot legally issue marriage licenses without her authority.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Since you'll rarely hear this in a political thread...I agree with ElD here. As a Christian, I agree she has the right not to issue licenses. That, however, is a violation of her duty, and in doing so she either must resign or face the consequences of her actions which were in clear violation of the court order. As Christians, we are to place God's law above man's where there's conflict, but in doing so we are still subject to the effects of mans law.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        It sounds like the judge was willing to let her go if she would agree that her deputy clerks could issue marriage licenses in her stead, and five of her six deputies stated they were willing to do that. But she objected because her name would still be on the marriage license as the approving official. I guess the deputies cannot legally issue marriage licenses without her authority.
                        and the 6th deputy was her son

Comment

Let's all welcome our newest reality star. Blessed are the famous.
                          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

This is not what freedom of religion means. I saw a quote from someone that sums it perfectly:

No one's being jailed for practicing her religion. Someone's being jailed for using the government to force others to practice her religion.

End of debate.
                            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              Since you'll rarely hear this in a political thread...I agree with ElD here. As a Christian, I agree she has the right not to issue licenses. That, however, is a violation of her duty, and in doing so she either must resign or face the consequences of her actions which were in clear violation of the court order. As Christians, we are to place God's law above man's where there's conflict, but in doing so we are still subject to the effects of mans law.
                              Perfectly stated. She's doing more harm than good for the name of Jesus.
                              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Working...
                              X