Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 Bowling Thread ---- its a new season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dude I told you you would need to move left. I didn't realize you were playing outside or I would have told you move further left. Keep rolling it once you get used to it your game will improve.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Dude I told you you would need to move left. I didn't realize you were playing outside or I would have told you move further left. Keep rolling it once you get used to it your game will improve.
      Ha, saw your comment after I came back. I may go again tomorrow, so we'll try it again!

Comment

• Took the wife and kids bowling today at a different lanes in PA. I was excited to show off my new hook. First roll down the lanes, no hook. OK, maybe I screwed it up. Next toss, no hook.

Bowled two games and there was virtually no hook at all. I had no idea where to stand and throw this ball that was no longer [wildly] hooking like it did yesterday.

I assume this had something to do with how the lane was oiled, but I'm not sure. Maybe I have a demon ball? Who knows?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Took the wife and kids bowling today at a different lanes in PA. I was excited to show off my new hook. First roll down the lanes, no hook. OK, maybe I screwed it up. Next toss, no hook.

Bowled two games and there was virtually no hook at all. I had no idea where to stand and throw this ball that was no longer [wildly] hooking like it did yesterday.

I assume this had something to do with how the lane was oiled, but I'm not sure. Maybe I have a demon ball? Who knows?
          Without seeing what you were doing I would say it's probably related to the oil on the lanes. Typically oil patterns are lighter on the outside. So if your not getting the ball to move, go outside. Find a spot where the ball starts moving then you can make adjustments as needed.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• The wife wants to learn to hook the ball instead of throwing it straight. We went out yesterday and I helped her with some tips. She did ok. She got a Storm Tropical Breeze ball so I am having her start on the right and try to hook it in. A few gutters but I told her the scores would be bad at first. The last 5 frames were all 7 counts or higher including 2 strikes. She is a 105 bowler now so hopefully this helps.

I, as usual during non-league games, shoot the 10 pin then the 7 pin and so forth. After a few 3 counts and 1 counts followed by spares I notice the people on lanes next to us looking at my score so I give up the practice and start looking to throw strikes just to get a good score. I pretty much do my own thing and who cares what other people think or say but when competition comes up I try to prove I am good. I need to quit doing that.

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
              The wife wants to learn to hook the ball instead of throwing it straight. We went out yesterday and I helped her with some tips. She did ok. She got a Storm Tropical Breeze ball so I am having her start on the right and try to hook it in. A few gutters but I told her the scores would be bad at first. The last 5 frames were all 7 counts or higher including 2 strikes. She is a 105 bowler now so hopefully this helps.

I, as usual during non-league games, shoot the 10 pin then the 7 pin and so forth. After a few 3 counts and 1 counts followed by spares I notice the people on lanes next to us looking at my score so I give up the practice and start looking to throw strikes just to get a good score. I pretty much do my own thing and who cares what other people think or say but when competition comes up I try to prove I am good. I need to quit doing that.
              One time I was at my local bowling alley and the owner told me he was oiling up a lane for a Pro that was getting in some practice. He asked if I wanted to try the Pro pattern. I declined as my team captain and I wanted to get in some league practice. The Pro was on the pair next to us. He bowled very fast and bad for two games. Really really bad like 130. We started up a conversation and I asked him what was going on. He said Oh I am burning in the shot. TV does not show it, but we have about 20 minutes to burn in our shot. That is why I am using this sponge ball (very dull and porous) to burn and move the oil. He then went to his real ball and murdered the pins.

Nice guy on a mission. I do not think he cared what we thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Took the wife and kids bowling today at a different lanes in PA. I was excited to show off my new hook. First roll down the lanes, no hook. OK, maybe I screwed it up. Next toss, no hook.

If you were throwing from the same spot with the same release, then it had to be the oil.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• 217-233-228=678

There was a little more oil inside tonight so I threw more shots than usual that went out between the 1-5 boards. And those shots came up high flush all night. I threw a few balls that came in light when I didn't get the shot wide enough, but didn't leave any difficult spares. I missed one 10-pin in the channel. First 10 pin I have missed in about a month. I had some issues with the approach in the first few frames as I slid too much on one shot, then stuck the next shot. Once I got that fixed I was good to go.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Very solid series! Congrats. I need to do that pretty much the balance of the season to get me to my 215 avg.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                      Very solid series! Congrats. I need to do that pretty much the balance of the season to get me to my 215 avg.
                      I need to average about 219 for the last 11 weeks to get to 215...average 221 to finish at 216 ...and average 224 to finish at 217.

I am not sure if the lanes are oiled differently after November or so, or if I just bowl better. But for the last 4 years my average has been much, much higher than September-October. Maybe I'm just a slow starter!

Comment

• I know around here the weather and humidity change the way the lanes play significantly. So Sept and Oct the shot seems different.

Comment

• The wife started game 3 with 4 in a row. I think it was her first turkey, much less getting 4. Then after the 5th frame she had a 90. To take the math away that is 4 strikes followed by 2 gutters. The gutter balls weren't even close, going in about 1/2 way down the lane. She wound up with a 138 which is good for her but pretty bad when you see 4 in a row to start.

I struggled with spares again but had the first ball going so I had 180-190 the first two games. The 2nd game was 4 opens and 8 strikes with 5 of the strikes in the last 3 frames to make the score better than it should have been. 2 big splits and 2 spares I should have covered. The last game I was doing something wrong and got a 140. I think it was all mental again. We were way behind everyone else and it was late and we were winning easily so I cared more about going home than bowling.

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                            The wife started game 3 with 4 in a row. I think it was her first turkey, much less getting 4. Then after the 5th frame she had a 90. To take the math away that is 4 strikes followed by 2 gutters. The gutter balls weren't even close, going in about 1/2 way down the lane. She wound up with a 138 which is good for her but pretty bad when you see 4 in a row to start.

I struggled with spares again but had the first ball going so I had 180-190 the first two games. The 2nd game was 4 opens and 8 strikes with 5 of the strikes in the last 3 frames to make the score better than it should have been. 2 big splits and 2 spares I should have covered. The last game I was doing something wrong and got a 140. I think it was all mental again. We were way behind everyone else and it was late and we were winning easily so I cared more about going home than bowling.
                            Been there and done that many times!!

Comment

• A real good explanation of how the oil pattern will effect the shot.

Comment

• Only had one open last night - the 10th frame of game one!!! ARRGH!!! I opened with a 245 followed by 258. Last game I started with 3 spares, as the shot was transitioning and then finished out with a 214.

717 series.

I made a change in the position of the ball in my hand during set-up which has allowed me to put more forward roll rather than side roll on the ball. This is giving me more control over the shot and has been the biggest reason my scoring has gone up. That and I havent missed a 10 pin this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X