Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 Bowling Thread ---- its a new season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    Shot 625 last week. 208, 196, 221. That is 3 sixes in a row.

I hope to get a 4th tonight.
    Solid bowling Gregg!
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
      523 last night. Still missing too many easy spares. Only about 5 bad first balls and most of those were in game 3 (maybe I need to quit the beer). 3 for 4 in getting the 10 pin but left the 2 pin or 4 pin a lot and missed those a lot. I try to lay the ball down on the right side and just let it curve over but I either throw it too straight or else throw it at the pin and also put curve on the ball. At least that was my best series of the new year but hopefully it will be my worst as we keep going.
      I have found that to consistently make spares (especially one pin spares)you have to commit to throwing the same ball every time. When I leave any single pin I know exactly where to stand, which mark to hit, and how much hook to put on the ball. Of course different oil conditions will factor in too. But in most leagues the oil conditions are relatively the same every week.

Example: when I leave the 4-pin I stand on about the 10-12 board and throw over the 2nd arrow with my regular release and speed. When I leave the 10-pin I move to the around the 30 board, throw between the 3rd and 4th arrows and flatten the ball out.

The longer you bowl the more this just becomes memory and at this point I just "know" how to throw at every spare.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• 245-245-201 = 691

Clean night...no opens...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          245-245-201 = 691

A 245 triplicate would be a very nice thing! What happened on that last game? Still Great bowling!

By the way I used your suggestion on 4 pins and saw some improvement. I still whiffed one to the right. I think I had too much speed on it. Still something that I think I can work with. Thank you.

Comment

245-245-201 = 691

Missed the 30 clean. Wow! Congrats! That is really hard to do.

Comment

245-245-201 = 691

Great night! And it shows how tough a 700 series, let alone an 800 is.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• 197-170-232 for a 599. Last game was close and I struck in the 10th & 11th to give us some cushion and then got 6 on the last shot, my 3rd bad ball of the night. Didn't realize I needed 7 to get the 600. Still missed a lot of easy spares in the 2nd game but getting better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  A 245 triplicate would be a very nice thing! What happened on that last game? Still Great bowling!

By the way I used your suggestion on 4 pins and saw some improvement. I still whiffed one to the right. I think I had too much speed on it. Still something that I think I can work with. Thank you.
                  Thanks Gregg. As for the 3rd game, I didn't miss the pocket, just didn't carry as well. I left 3 flat 10-pins that broke up any chance of stringing some strikes together.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                    Great night! And it shows how tough a 700 series, let alone an 800 is.
                    Couldn't agree more!! I was thinking i "only" need a 210 for a 700 series. yeah right!!

I still have never had an 800 series and that is the single most aggravating thing to me in my bowling "career". Actually it's fucking ridiculous!! Just once over the past 30 years of bowling I couldn't have that ONE series where everything fell??

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                      197-170-232 for a 599. Last game was close and I struck in the 10th & 11th to give us some cushion and then got 6 on the last shot, my 3rd bad ball of the night. Didn't realize I needed 7 to get the 600. Still missed a lot of easy spares in the 2nd game but getting better.
                      That's excellent!

I assume you were much more consistent hitting the pocket and making spares.

Comment

• Dumb question -- do you guys use a different throwing motion for spares as you do with your first ball?

Comment

• not a dumb question!

For me it is dependent on the spare that is left. For 10 pins, I switch balls, move left and throw hard and straight at it. Typically do the same for the 6/10. Otherwise, I am shooting most of my spares with my normal arm swing and hook - I just move my feet.
                          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

not a dumb question!

For me it is dependent on the spare that is left. For 10 pins, I switch balls, move left and throw hard and straight at it. Typically do the same for the 6/10. Otherwise, I am shooting most of my spares with my normal arm swing and hook - I just move my feet.
                            I agree with all of this. I would add that I still flatten my hand with my plastic ball going for the ten pin.

Comment

not a dumb question!

So I'm getting that new ball today (the DV8 Deviant) that should have much more of a hook than my current ball, which has no hook whatsoever. Would I use my old ball for spares using a non-hooking throwing motion? Do you guys find it easy to throw the ball using a hooking grip/motion as you do a non-hooking grip/motion?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                So I'm getting that new ball today (the DV8 Deviant) that should have much more of a hook than my current ball, which has no hook whatsoever. Would I use my old ball for spares using a non-hooking throwing motion? Do you guys find it easy to throw the ball using a hooking grip/motion as you do a non-hooking grip/motion?
                                I actually find it easier to throw a hook than a straight ball.

Unless you are preventing your current ball from hooking (with your hand position), you should notice a natural hook using your same release. The ball will also hook more if you get to the dry on the outside. If you have a tendency to throw the ball straight down the third arrow it will hook less than if you swing it outside of the second arrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X