No announcement yet.

Return of the Travel thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, I keep remembering coming back through customs at LAX but surprisingly I've had direct flights from Europe my last few times so I guess it was just a recency bias thing

I do remember having to go through customs when landing in Hawaii on my way back from Japan but even though I know I've had connections on the way back from Europe I can't remember going through customs anywhere else besides LAX.

Comment

Just remember that after clearing customs at Newark you will then have to go back through TSA screening. At least I always did. So, no, an hour probably isn't enough. If you call the airline ahead of time, they might be willing to change you out of the goodness of their hearts. Hey, you never know. Otherwise, if you miss it, they'll re-book you on something else for free (unless they're complete assholes) but you may not like it.

Comment

so after spending 17 days driving around the south, I thought I'd share a few notes, in no particular order:

Bourbon tours in Kentucky are a must. We did Makers Mark, Wild Turkey, and Woodford (yes, one of these is not like the other); and sidebar - one of the farms beside Woodford is where American Pharoah is enjoying retirement. Gorgeous countryside.

Memphis: previously mentioned in this thread, Rendezvous for dry rub wings is fabulous. As is the rooftop patio at the Madison for sunset cocktails. And the Civil Rights Museum is a must see (it's at the motel where MLK was gunned down).

Mississippi: driving down the Blues hwy (61) is interesting - lots of nothing, but then a few places like Clarkesdale's Delta Blues museum, and Ground Zero Blues club. nice break from interstate travel and provides a great feel for the locale of where so much of modern music comes from.

Louisiana: there are a bunch of plantation tours (I did a few a decade ago), but the Whitney Plantation is a sort of living museum about slavery - it's a rebuilt plantation completely dedicated to the slave experience. Pretty moving stuff.

New Orleans: if there isn't a separate thread there should be.

Little Rock: surprised us - a very cool little town, with a great music festival on the river. Saw XAmbassadors, George Clinton, and Cole Swindell, and a bunch of lesser known bands. Good seafood at Flying Fish (crawfish & peel & eat shrimp), and great fried chicken at Gus's.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
          I resume some road life next week.

Flying from Orlando to Pensacola to then drive over to Foley, AL for 24 hours of tech schmoozing and then onto Raleigh for a CIO/CTO meeting before coming home. Out on Silver Airways (yay prop plane ), to Raleigh via Atlanta on Delta, and then home direct on Southwest.
          check this out - or not

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/16/t...gtype=Homepage

Comment

"New Orleans: if there isn't a separate thread there should be."

I was there a little over a week ago, first time back in 35 years - this time not for Mardi Gras but for business.

I learned that The French Quarter establishments are open during the day, too - had no idea!
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
            X