It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
    Holy smokes. I feel sick for Rast. Damn.
    Yeah pretty sick ... but Trickett had 7 outs on the turn and 11 on the river. Even though Rast flopped the nuts, he loses 35% of the time versus a flopped set.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
      Great, classic film. "Pre-Mayberry" Andy Griffith, "pre-Odd Couple" Walter Matthau, Patricia Neal, and a very young Lee Remick (first role?). Extremely relevant to our modern media-centric, image-driven society. I think of it as kind of similar to "Network".
      Lee Remick is hot.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the what-are-you-reading thread (do we still have one of those?)

I'm cautiously optimistic about this ... if you're read it you know that it would be damn tough to turn The Life of Pi into a screenplay, but this gives me hope ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• As I had hoped, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was in fact excellent. Rooney Mara's character mixes psychosis with genius in a frighteningly sexy way and Daniel Craig's journalist gumshoe keeps things moving well also.

My selection tonight was not so excellent. When a movie is described as a "mood piece" I should known to stay away, but Paris, Texas got such rave reviews that I decided to give it a shot. The movie draaaaags and doesn't really have anything interesting going on. A man wanders through the Texas desert and ends up being picked up by his brother who hasn't seen him in 4 years. Turns out the lost man has a son that his brother has been looking after and they end up trying to track down the mother/wife. Why it takes 2 1/2 hours to get through such a small amount of plot movement is beyond me.

Comment

• The Life of Pi looked pretty spectacular, especially the intro ... Worth reading the book?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              The Life of Pi looked pretty spectacular, especially the intro ... Worth reading the book?
              definitely. it's one of those books I walked away from not sure if I loved it or hated it, but it is memorable.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Dark Knight Rises ... Awful.

One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Comment

The Life of Pi looked pretty spectacular, especially the intro ... Worth reading the book?
                  I thought the book was awesome.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Dark Knight Rises ... Awful.

One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
                    Serious?
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Serious?
                      Yeah I really enjoyed it. It was the first movie I have seen in IMAX since I was a kid.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        Serious?
                        Started off OK ... then just degenerated into 1.5 hours of disconnected 30 second segments. Torture. I missed an afternoon of handball and field hockey for this The technical parts and the SFX were as good as you would expect. Everything else really sucked bad.

Good ... SFX and how the overall story of the series came together.
                        OK ... first 15 minutes (maybe the last 5 minutes)
                        Bad ... acting (see terrible)
                        Terrible ... script, plot, dialogue, storyline, time-frame, believability ... it was like watching one of those awful disaster TV/cable movies were the scientists are all models wearing glasses ... in fact, those generally make more sense.

87.5% on Rotten Tomatoes :dismay:
                        Last edited by johnnya24; 08-08-2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• My wife saw the Spiderman reboot last night and said it was better than any of the Tobey stuff
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                            My wife saw the Spiderman reboot last night and said it was better than any of the Tobey stuff
                            1 & 2 were pretty good, Spiderman 3 was even worse that the Dark Knight Rises. Kinda put me off the whole series ... not even keen on the reboot because of it.

Comment

Started off OK ... then just degenerated into 1.5 hours of disconnected 30 second segments. Torture. I missed an afternoon of handball and field hockey for this The technical parts and the SFX were as good as you would expect. Everything else really sucked bad.
                              You also missed putting up your two players in the HOE forum!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                You also missed putting up your two players in the HOE forum!
                                Ooops ... on it ... did I even nominate anyone?

Comment

Working...
                                X