No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just watched Blade Runner, directors cut on Netflix. One of my top 5 movies still....
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Saw Horrible Bosses over the weekend. Decent flick, Charlie Day is the funniest of the bunch but the cast is solid, top-to-bottom, and I've got a new appreciation for Jennifer Aniston after seeing this movie.

Comment

• I saw Kill the Irishman last week, and went in expecting, well, not much. It was great! Kind of like Goodfellas moves to Cleveland. True story about a day laborer-turned-Union Boss-turned-gangster in the 1960s and mid-1970s. The plot was good, the action good, and it was like a who's who of your favorite Sopranos and Goodfellas actors, with Chris Walken, Val Kilmer and Ray Stevenson sprinkled in.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          I saw Kill the Irishman last week, and went in expecting, well, not much. It was great! Kind of like Goodfellas moves to Cleveland. True story about a day laborer-turned-Union Boss-turned-gangster in the 1960s and mid-1970s. The plot was good, the action good, and it was like a who's who of your favorite Sopranos and Goodfellas actors, with Chris Walken, Val Kilmer and Ray Stevenson sprinkled in.
          I haven't even heard of this movie. I am in!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            I saw Kill the Irishman last week, and went in expecting, well, not much. It was great! Kind of like Goodfellas moves to Cleveland. True story about a day laborer-turned-Union Boss-turned-gangster in the 1960s and mid-1970s. The plot was good, the action good, and it was like a who's who of your favorite Sopranos and Goodfellas actors, with Chris Walken, Val Kilmer and Ray Stevenson sprinkled in.
            It was a better movie that I expected, and they got the feel of the 70's really well.

Comment

• Wake Wood - Occult horror. Basically a much less crappy version of Pet Sematary. Quite watchable, with some nice character actors. If you're into horror, give it a shot.

Horrible Bosses - I really enjoyed this. I thought all of the performances were great, Charlie Day's shtick never went too far as I feared it might, and the script was tighter than the usual treatment given to comedies.

Midnight In Paris - Meh. Too referential to really hold any weight. I know most that have seen this loved it, but I feel like it falls somewhere into the pile of pleasant but forgettable Allen films.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Watched some great flicks the last couple of days.

Super - It's yet another regular-guy-becoming-a-super-hero thing (Defendor, Kick-Ass, others I'm forgetting) but really treads into some black humour territory. It has some of the comic book/video game graphics of Scott Pilgrim, but with real world consequences. So when someone gets hit with a wrench or a board, teeth fly out, limbs are broken, etc. Adds a really strange element, as the viewer isn't ever rooting entirely for the superheroes. Overall, well worth the watch.

Animal Kingdom - I've heard nothing but good things about this Australian crime drama, and finally got around to watching it. Fantastic, especially given what seems like a low budget. Up there with another favourite Aussie flick from a couple years back, The Horseman, and similar in its depiction of brutality.

Tears Of The Black Tiger - Somewhat strange Korean spaghetti western from 2000. Not sure if it's well known or well regarded, but I loved it. Some over the top Tarantino-isms, but mostly just a beautifully shot love story. Check a clip.

Also, I just want to say that Hobo With A Shotgun is one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. There needs to be some nuance in making gore interesting, and this was completely devoid of subtlety. Unlike Midnight Meat Train, which also delves into some pretty gorey scenes, and I kind of enjoyed, though wouldn't outright recommend to anybody but the biggest of horror fans.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Mrs Gregg and I went out for dinner and a movie. Went to see Final Destination 5 in 3D.

I picked this movie because I felt it would give me the best 3D experiance for the money. I am not usually a fan of the 3D movie because I find it distracting and gimmicky. If I want gimmicky what better movie to go see than the most recent installment of the Final Destination franchise. I did not want to see some cutsy cartoon. I wanted to be jumping out of my seat by stuff flying at me. I didn't go in expecting an acadamy award winning film. I also knew what the plot would be. The only questions were will the writers be able to fool me with bait and switch in the death scenes and will the 3D work with this movie? The fooling not so much, the 3D pretty good. I did enjoy the effects and it got the job done. I would not want a steady diet of 3D by any means. But if the Destination franchise is a guilty pleasure, I think you will enjoy this one.

And what about Mrs. Gregg? She jumped out of her seat plenty of times. After the movie she smiled, elbowed my ribs said "nice romantic movie" and then "you owe me big time." Ah, I love my wife.

Comment

• Runaway Jury (2003)

I forgot how much I enjoyed this movie. A bunch of stars and great acting. Gene Hackman and John Cusack were outstanding.

Some nice twists in the plot. Beautifully filmed.

A good way to spend an hour and twenty seven minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by off_the_wall View Post
                      Saw Horrible Bosses over the weekend. Decent flick, Charlie Day is the funniest of the bunch but the cast is solid, top-to-bottom, and I've got a new appreciation for Jennifer Aniston after seeing this movie.
                      Saw it tonight, agree with what you said. Much funnier than I thought it would be.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I finally watched "The Brothers Bloom", which I enjoyed quite a bit. It helps to have a Rachel Weitz crush (to me, she's the dream combination of Natalie Portman and Anne Hathaway).

I like con movies, and this was a sweet one.
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                          I finally watched "The Brothers Bloom", which I enjoyed quite a bit. It helps to have a Rachel Weitz crush (to me, she's the dream combination of Natalie Portman and Anne Hathaway).

I like con movies, and this was a sweet one.
                          Nice, I really love The Brothers Bloom. The pacing is a bit weird, as it seems to have a couple of points where you think it's over, then it continues for another half hour. Really great flick though.

Comment

• World's Greatest Dad - Robin Williams in a comedy from 2009 isn't something I'd normally take an interest in watching, to say the least. This is some seriously dark comedy from writer and director Bobcat Goldthwait. If you like Observe and Report, this is in the same vein. If you seek it out, absolutely DO NOT read any reviews or watch any trailers that may contain a significant spoiler.

Transcendent Man - A documentary on Ray Kurtzveil and his theory of "the singularity", wherein science overtakes and elevates humanity to unthinkable heights. It's essentially the story of The Terminator, and how this is happening in real life, right now, quicker than you could have imagined. 2032 is the projected "singularity". Really crazy flick.

Super 8 - Not sure where all of the criticism for this is coming from. I thought it was excellent, even if the second half tends to drag ever so slightly. That's more a reflection of how good the first half is than a knock on the film itself. The kids are great and the 80's feel is incredibly authentic.

Conan The Barbarian - Crossed it off my list of shame. Glad I did.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              Super 8 was a pretty bad movie, although the kids are cutesy enough to carry it away from the abyss of total suckitude. The plot holes and barely developed side plots are annoying and pretty much ever present. It's entertaining simply because of the kids and the nostalgic feel. I find it extremely odd that anyone who would blast Avatar due to its thin plot and poor plot development would find anything positive in this flick. Probably good for young adults or anyone who just wants to shut their brain completely off for a while. Save yourself the cash and just rent it if you have a few hours to kill.
                              I liked it. I watched it as if watching The Goonies or one of those classic 80's kid-friendly movies.

Also ... have never heard of The Brothers Bloom ... well I think I've never heard of it ... so I'll have to check that out this weekend. Love con-movies + Rachel Weisz = how the heck did I not know about this?

Comment

• I don't do Blueray, but if you do I saw that you can now get Miller's Crossing in that format. Great movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X