It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    I thought Annihilation was a hot mess. Some creepy scenes for sure but just didn't work for me.
    My movie standards are much lower than yours.

Comment

• The 15:17 to Paris — most NON exceelent. Did Clint Eastwood have a stroke or something when he made this? I never appreciated bad actors until I saw the three “heroes” attempting to play themselves. In fact, the orangutan Clyde from "Every Which Way But Loose" was a better actor, maybe Clint should have re-enlisted him. And some of the "pros" cast: Urkel? The guy who played Felix Unger on The New Odd Couple? WTF? Even the moms of two of the kids -- Jenna Fischer from "The Office" and Judy Greer from "Two & a Half Men" -- are beyond terrible. It's as if the terribleness rubbed off on them.

And another thing — when the three “heroes” are kids in elementary school, it says it’s taking place in 2005. Cut to when they’ve enlisted, they’ve grown and aged considerably, and a scene shows them watching a Cal college football game. One guy screams “come on Marshawn!” Pssst, hey Clint: Marshawn Lynch played his last college game for Cal in 2006— so these guys became adults in a year? WTF? What an amateurish mistake.

Overall the majority of the movie is just about these dudes travelling around in Europe taking selfies, which has nothing at all to do with the main plot, which lasts all of about 2 minutes. Unwatchable dreck from a Hollywood legend. Quite hard to believe.

Comment

• I saw Ant Man and The Wasp yesterday. I really like Marvel. They do a great job.
        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
          I saw Ant Man and The Wasp yesterday. I really like Marvel. They do a great job.
          I'm tired of Marvel movies but I did like Ant Man. I saw the first one a couple months ago and really liked it which was unexpected since I thought the name and premise were dumb.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
            I'm tired of Marvel movies but I did like Ant Man. I saw the first one a couple months ago and really liked it which was unexpected since I thought the name and premise were dumb.
            HA agreed! I had the same feelings but I do like Marvel and don't like DC. Never cared until recently but thanks to Deadpool I dove into all of it.
            Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

HA agreed! I had the same feelings but I do like Marvel and don't like DC. Never cared until recently but thanks to Deadpool I dove into all of it.
              I really didnt like Deadpool at all. But I do want to see Cable in Deadpool 2 so I'll see that someday.

I think my movie pref's are influenced by having a 6 and 3 year old even if they arent watching it.
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                I really didnt like Deadpool at all. But I do want to see Cable in Deadpool 2 so I'll see that someday.

I think my movie pref's are influenced by having a 6 and 3 year old even if they arent watching it.
                Wow, our feelings about Deadpool are a much bigger divide than any political disagreements we have! That said, I found DP2 better than the first across the board, so give it a chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  Wow, our feelings about Deadpool are a much bigger divide than any political disagreements we have! That said, I found DP2 better than the first across the board, so give it a chance.
                  Maybe later this year at home when I'm bored.

Comment

• i have a hard time finding movies to watch because i don't have cable. i can find them but i don't know whats out there from not paying attention.

so i watched 1993 Tombstone and i was surprised how bad Kurt Russell's Wyatt Earp was. because after The Thing and Escape from NY Russell is the ultimate alpha male. and having seen Kevin Costner's Wyatt Earp a while ago, i thought that movie must have come out a while after Tombstone because Costner nailed it. and then i saw it came out a mere year later. i don't know what the director was doing but Tombstone was like tying to be sound of music-like.

Costner has this 'you gotta be shitting me.. matter of fact attitude'. same theme but completely different movie qualities. both Doc Holidays were great though. i'd say Dennis Quaid was better, but i think Val Kilmer had bigger shoes to fill and saved the movie.

Comment

• check out Kurt Russell in "Bone Tomahawk"
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        check out Kurt Russell in "Bone Tomahawk"
                        Don't watch it with your wife/mom/daughter/person - that shit's raw.

Been a while since I voiced my opinion in these parts so here are a few:

I, Tonya - hard to tell how accurate the relationships were (mother/daughter and Tonya/husband) but man do you end up feeling sorry for her by the end. One of the best biopics I've seen in a while, boosted by the unapologetic performances of Margot Robbie and Allison Janney.

Darkest Hour - snoozefest, not sure how this got nominated for Best Picture. Gary Oldman's performance is fine and all, but we've got to stop giving Best Actor/Actress nominations to people just because they adapt the voice/affectations/mannerisms of famous people.

Good Time - this one was kind of under the radar but got a lot of critical acclaim. Robert Pattinson is actually quite good as the main character and there are some quality scenes here, but I just came away slightly dissatisfied with the ending of this one. Definitely a worthwhile watch (it's on Amazon Prime) but not as good as I was led to believe.

Comment

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                            i have a hard time finding movies to watch because i don't have cable. i can find them but i don't know whats out there from not paying attention.

so i watched 1993 Tombstone and i was surprised how bad Kurt Russell's Wyatt Earp was. because after The Thing and Escape from NY Russell is the ultimate alpha male. and having seen Kevin Costner's Wyatt Earp a while ago, i thought that movie must have come out a while after Tombstone because Costner nailed it. and then i saw it came out a mere year later. i don't know what the director was doing but Tombstone was like tying to be sound of music-like.

Costner has this 'you gotta be shitting me.. matter of fact attitude'. same theme but completely different movie qualities. both Doc Holidays were great though. i'd say Dennis Quaid was better, but i think Val Kilmer had bigger shoes to fill and saved the movie.
                            Nully my friend, of all the posts you have posted that I didn't understand this is the Champion.

Comment

• you've never seen Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner? it's a good movie.

Comment

• so TIFF is on in my town (Toronto International Film Festival), and I had my first local celeb spotting yesterday, walking past Elizabeth Moss heading into a local restaurant in my hood ... kinda cool.

We saw a great flick at the fest on the weekend - Widows. Not your typical heist movie, at least not recent ones in the Oceans style. It was really well constructed - the plot was not given away with obvious foreshadowing, and there were some great twists & turns. Top notch acting, and some social commentary thrown in (maybe not appreciated by everyone, but I think that's the intent).

Definitely worth checking out when it goes into full release.
                                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X