It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2 GotG 1 is one of my favorites to the point I went to a GotG Double Feature opening day to catch Awesome Mix #2. The things I loved about the 1st were there in spades, the soundtrack and humor. The story was a bit thin, but moved the franchise along, kind of like the Pirates of the Caribbean second movie. There are still some solid storylines, and some cool revelations, but it's not on par with the first movie with the exception of the music and offhanded jokes. I'd say it's still worth seeing in the theatre if you're a fan, if not--wait for the DVD.
    Saw GOTG2 last night. The humour carried the movie for the first 1/3 ... with no back story to mention, it was a pretty lame without the laughs. Then I fell asleep for 20 minutes - because boring CGI - , then I awoke to sit through an hour of Sesame Street quality moralising and Disney/Spielberg levels of vomit inducing sentimentality. Oh look children at how all these former enemies are now best friends ... if you share ... you can be bestest friends too.

Such a shame because the 4 main characters have such potential (especially Drax).

The young Kurt Russell CGI (I assume it was CGI) was amazing though.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Such a shame because the 4 main characters have such potential (especially Drax).

I'm stunned by how good Dave Bautista is as Drax.....and yea, young Kurt was tons better than the Rogue One stuff
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Saw GOTG2 last night. The humour carried the movie for the first 1/3 ... with no back story to mention, it was a pretty lame without the laughs. Then I fell asleep for 20 minutes - because boring CGI - , then I awoke to sit through an hour of Sesame Street quality moralising and Disney/Spielberg levels of vomit inducing sentimentality. Oh look children at how all these former enemies are now best friends ... if you share ... you can be bestest friends too.

Just took the kids to see it and yeah, the storyline was pretty weak. Not nearly as good as the first GOTG.

Comment

I found myself laughing more than expected. Agree the Kurt Russell CGI was amazing.

Comment

• So disappointed with Alien Covenant. It would have been a decent, if unremarkable movie, overall if it weren't for the amateurish script ... and way too many cast members. WhyTF was James Franco in this movie?

Spoiler!

... you didn't get shit like that in the the classic 80's and 90's action movies. These movies are costing $100m+ to make ... they can't get a proof reader?

Comment

WhyTF was James Franco in this movie?
              I'd pay good money to see James Franco butchered by an alien.
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• We discussed this book somewhere - Fresno Bob started it
                Ernest Cline - Ready Player One

I remember reading it and liking it but I don't remember it being like this trailer

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ic-con-1022316

Comment

• Dunkirk was visually/theatrically incredible, but the movie overall was disappointing. There was literally zero character development and the editing was sub-par resulting in too many moments where it was difficult to decipher what I was watching. It could have been so much better IMO.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Dunkirk was visually/theatrically incredible, but the movie overall was disappointing. There was literally zero character development and the editing was sub-par resulting in too many moments where it was difficult to decipher what I was watching. It could have been so much better IMO.
                    Yeah. Parts were 10/10 and very impressive ... but other parts were really quite disappointing. Historically, there was no sense of the scale of the operation. I never felt ... hey, that seems like 400000 people trapped on a beach ... looked more like like the toilet lines at a festival. In reality, 800 civilian ships traversed the channel for 8 days ... I counted 7 fishing boats.

Seeing all the perfect reviews, I was expecting a lot more.

Maybe they lacked the budget to properly pull off this movie. That was my feeling.

Comment

• that's too bad, I was really looking fwd to it with high hopes given the rave reviews. I read an interview with Nolan where he said that he was really trying to convey the personal experience, which everyone agrees he did, but I'm not sure it had to be at the expense of the broader historical context.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        that's too bad, I was really looking fwd to it with high hopes given the rave reviews. I read an interview with Nolan where he said that he was really trying to convey the personal experience, which everyone agrees he did, but I'm not sure it had to be at the expense of the broader historical context.
                        That's odd considering it was so...impersonal.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• my biggest reservation around seeing the Dunkirk movie is the "I bet I know what happens" issue. I know the story, I know it is going to work out (Spoiler!) and so that takes a lot of the drama out of it, unless they do a great job of characterization, so that I care about the "small stories" vs the big picture

My wife saw the new Spiderman movie and said it was awesome, I'm interested in seeing the Planet of the Apes movie, the Valerian movie, and I'll probably wait for streaming to see Atomic Blonde
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                            my biggest reservation around seeing the Dunkirk movie is the "I bet I know what happens" issue. I know the story, I know it is going to work out (Spoiler!) and so that takes a lot of the drama out of it, unless they do a great job of characterization, so that I care about the "small stories" vs the big picture.
                            They don't, at all.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              Dunkirk was visually/theatrically incredible, but the movie overall was disappointing. There was literally zero character development and the editing was sub-par resulting in too many moments where it was difficult to decipher what I was watching. It could have been so much better IMO.
                              I was really looking forward to Dunkirk when I saw the first trailer. As the other trailers came out, it appealed to me less and less. I was afraid that your comments and johnny's would be the outcome.

I'll still see it in the theater, but my expectations will be tempered. Thanks for the info.

Is it worth it for a 14 y.o. to see it? Based on your two comments, it seems as though the story would be lost on him.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFurious View Post
                                I was really looking forward to Dunkirk when I saw the first trailer. As the other trailers came out, it appealed to me less and less. I was afraid that your comments and johnny's would be the outcome.

I'll still see it in the theater, but my expectations will be tempered. Thanks for the info.

Is it worth it for a 14 y.o. to see it? Based on your two comments, it seems as though the story would be lost on him.
                                Low expectations are generally a good thing when going to the cinema, but unless he knows the story, it will be lost on him.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X