It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrFurious View Post
    I was really looking forward to Dunkirk when I saw the first trailer. As the other trailers came out, it appealed to me less and less. I was afraid that your comments and johnny's would be the outcome.

I'll still see it in the theater, but my expectations will be tempered. Thanks for the info.

Is it worth it for a 14 y.o. to see it? Based on your two comments, it seems as though the story would be lost on him.
    Still definitely worth seeing ... the good parts more than make it worthwhile.

My disappointment was driven by the reckless hyperbole from the reviews. It just isn't as good as they say it is ... parts were engaging and some of the shots were amazing, but other parts were very poorly planned out. I can't shake Kenneth Brannagh's face ... his look of utter joy and relief when he sees the civilian vessels arrive (the crux of the story) ... then the camera pans around and there's 3 fishing boats and a tugboat, and that's it. I kept waiting for some indication of the true nature and scale of this event. Never came. My guess is the US executives didn't want to properly bankroll a WW2 movie with no US interest.

The quality of film making and reviewing has been sinking badly the last few years IMO ... and we are accustomed to expecting more because of the quality of long form TV.

When it comes to film, 2017 has sucked so far.

Comment

• Bloodless, boring and empty: Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk left me cold

I didn't find Dunkirk boring, but I certainly agree with most of the sentiments in this article. The budget was $150m, so lacking budget shouldn't have been an issue.

... check out the comment section. Christopher Nolan has a lot of fanboys it seems.

Comment

• Saw Baby Driver last weekend... thought it was tons of fun. Somehow felt like a mashup of Fast and Furious and 500 Days of Summer, if that makes a lick of sense.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          Saw Baby Driver last weekend... thought it was tons of fun. Somehow felt like a mashup of Fast and Furious and 500 Days of Summer, if that makes a lick of sense.
          Agree. Enjoyed it ... though barely remember what happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            Agree. Enjoyed it ... though barely remember what happened.
            Yeah, not particularly deep or thoughtful, just a fun time. I do it a disservice with my comparison to the F&F franchise unless people have seen 500 Days of Summer and appreciate the juxtaposition. It doesn't have the F&F machismo or melodrama... and it adds in a cute love story... maybe if Wes Anderson directed a Fast and Furious movie? But not quite as quirky.

Comment

• Saw Dark Tower. I read the books and was wondering how the movie was going to handle everything. I think my low expectations made the movie seem ok. Not something to rush out and see but if you have a movie night planned you could do worse. My wife, who didn't know anything about the plot, thought the movie was ok. While the movie was a complete story the ending was set up so that if the box office is good they can make sequels and bring in more of the stories/characters from the books.

Comment

• Keeping with the Stephen King theme I saw IT this weekend. I thought it was really well done, keeping you in suspense for a good part of the movie. Best use of music in a suspense movie since Jaws. Hint - if you go with your wife/girlfriend and they scream don't sit there laughing. You will get punched.

Comment

Yeah, not particularly deep or thoughtful, just a fun time. I do it a disservice with my comparison to the F&F franchise unless people have seen 500 Days of Summer and appreciate the juxtaposition. It doesn't have the F&F machismo or melodrama... and it adds in a cute love story... maybe if Wes Anderson directed a Fast and Furious movie? But not quite as quirky.
                  Apparently Baby Driver has made IMDB's Top 250 movies LOL

Comment

Saw Baby Driver last weekend... thought it was tons of fun. Somehow felt like a mashup of Fast and Furious and 500 Days of Summer, if that makes a lick of sense.
                    Mrs. Gregg and I enjoyed it as well. I thought the casting was excellent. We go to movies for fun. This was fun.

Comment

• Enjoyed The Death of Stalin a lot. It was weird thinking of these seemingly inanimate looking characters in this light.

Comment

• I loved Thor:Ragnarok, I'd put it in my top 3 Marvel movies, and tonally the direct opposite of Logan, which with the original Avengers movie fills out the 3 for me
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                          I loved Thor:Ragnarok, I'd put it in my top 3 Marvel movies, and tonally the direct opposite of Logan, which with the original Avengers movie fills out the 3 for me
                          I really liked Cap2 - Winter Warrior... would put that at the top of my list.

Comment

• Only the Brave was intense and quite good.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                              Saw Dark Tower. I read the books and was wondering how the movie was going to handle everything. I think my low expectations made the movie seem ok. Not something to rush out and see but if you have a movie night planned you could do worse. My wife, who didn't know anything about the plot, thought the movie was ok. While the movie was a complete story the ending was set up so that if the box office is good they can make sequels and bring in more of the stories/characters from the books.
                              We watched it yesterday and thought it was pretty good. We also did not know anything about the story line. I would watch a sequel if they made one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                                I loved Thor:Ragnarok, I'd put it in my top 3 Marvel movies, and tonally the direct opposite of Logan, which with the original Avengers movie fills out the 3 for me
                                Let it be known that I'm holding you personally responsible for these 5 bucks I'm about to spend.

Comment

Working...
                                X