It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    I didn't hate it as a movie. Sure it wasn't perfect, because it rarely can be with kid actors. I enjoyed the mixture of proper Sfx, throwback b-movie Sfx, and references to things like Jules Verne.

... but the message was miles off base IMO. Not even attempting to deal with the problems that face us today, and putting our faith in some unknown scientific discovery to solve the problems we are in the midst of creating / causing. That is a message I am deeply suspicious about. So we should just continue to f*** up the world and hope that something will happen in the future to fix things?

... and the core problem, according to the movie, is not the powers creating and causing the problems, but rather, the people who don't have blind faith that these problems will be overcome.

That is f***ed up IMO
    I am not so sure that they were talking blind faith. The girl star was a genius with a no quit attitude. The system was looking for the brightest and most positive thinkers.

And whether or not we agree with it, they were inviting the difference makers in the end to help create the new world.

Then again we go back to the real point of the movie; to make Disney a pile of money. The formula for old Disney is to create chaos or sadness through a situation or villain, and have the good guys win in the end. This is what kids and parents pay for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      So Mad Max is more real to you?

I kid.
      I've seen the future, and it's BDSM hair metal.

Comment

• it's a fun summer in Toronto with a bunch of movies & shows filming (as always). Our main street (Yonge St) has been closed nightly the past week for the filming of Suicide Squad .. everynight we have new pics from the filming ... last night Batman showed up ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• My wife and I totally enjoyed San Andreas. It is a great disaster movie. The special effects were off the chart and a lot of fun. The Rock was credible and rest of the cast did a great job. I actually had a lot more fun with this than Mad Max. In hindsight this is pretty surprising to me.

I found myself jumping a few times, laughing a few times, and generally liking this movie.

Great date night movie and one of the better disaster movies we have seen.

Comment

• Took RJEL girl to San Andreas tonight... her takeaway: Either we need to move back east or I need to start dating The Rock.

Good times for what it was.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• The trailer looked great, and The Rock was pretty much the only good thing about Furious 7. Hopefully he gets some more decent action roles ... he's been in some really bad movies, and he's a pretty entertaining guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post

Good times for what it was.
                I would put it up there with Twister and Poseidon adventure for the top disaster movies.

I suppose Titanic should be up there but I don't usually think of that in the classic sense of disaster movies.

Comment

• I watched "Foxcatcher", "Safety Not Guarrenteed" and "The Drop" on the way to Istanbul, all were worth watching
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                    I watched "Foxcatcher", "Safety Not Guarrenteed" and "The Drop" on the way to Istanbul, all were worth watching
                    Foxcatcher left me a bit cold and frustrated. But I really enjoyed the other two. Safety Not Guaranteed was a nice find on Netflix ... I only watched it because Aubrey Plaza was in it.

Comment

• I thought Steve Canell and Channing Tatum were both awesome in Foxcatcher
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        I thought Steve Canell and Channing Tatum were both awesome in Foxcatcher
                        Yeah I thought the 3 central performances were outstanding. I just got the impression they were somehow afraid to tell the full story and just implied everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          Yeah I thought the 3 central performances were outstanding. I just got the impression they were somehow afraid to tell the full story and just implied everything.
                          I'm interested in reading the book, my understanding was that DuPont was even more erratic, but they didn't want to show it too early in the film

Comment

that's about what I was thinking... wasn't putting much stock in the IMDB reviews. I forgot I have U2 tickets tomorrow night so probably next Tuesday (cheap night at the movies night).
                            I think you sort of buried the lead here. You forgot you have U2 tickets tomorrow? Isn't that like saying you forgot you have two rattlesnakes in your kitchen?

I know this thread has passed by by a couple of weeks, but how was the show?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                              I think you sort of buried the lead here. You forgot you have U2 tickets tomorrow? Isn't that like saying you forgot you have two rattlesnakes in your kitchen?

I know this thread has passed by by a couple of weeks, but how was the show?
                              It was good. I think I liked 360 (the last show) a bit better. Maybe the crowd is getting older, or maybe most people aren't very familiar with the newest album (I'm not really, only a couple of listens) but the energy felt low. that said, while I'm not a huge fan of the new album, the songs sounded a hell of a lot better, had more character and depth, live than they do recorded. I thought a couple of times, wow, I wish they had released this and not what they did. The production for this show (and if you've never seen U2 in concert, it's huge production) was epic for an indoor (hockey) stadium, but it never really pulled together into the story they were trying to tell for me. San Jose was only the second stop on the tour, so maybe it will improve as they continue along.

Ah, and I ended up seeing Avengers this past Tuesday. Maybe I'll get to Mad Max tomorrow.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

It was good. I think I liked 360 (the last show) a bit better. Maybe the crowd is getting older, or maybe most people aren't very familiar with the newest album (I'm not really, only a couple of listens) but the energy felt low. that said, while I'm not a huge fan of the new album, the songs sounded a hell of a lot better, had more character and depth, live than they do recorded. I thought a couple of times, wow, I wish they had released this and not what they did. The production for this show (and if you've never seen U2 in concert, it's huge production) was epic for an indoor (hockey) stadium, but it never really pulled together into the story they were trying to tell for me. San Jose was only the second stop on the tour, so maybe it will improve as they continue along.

Ah, and I ended up seeing Avengers this past Tuesday. Maybe I'll get to Mad Max tomorrow.
                                The reviews from the Phoenix shows were much better. I was across the street at the Cubs-Dbags game.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X