No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Rob the Mob last night, a flick based on a true tale of two knuckleheads who decided to rob mafia social clubs in the early 1990s. Pretty entertaining, and some of the usual suspects from other mob-related shows appear.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Saw Rob the Mob last night, a flick based on a true tale of two knuckleheads who decided to rob mafia social clubs in the early 1990s. Pretty entertaining, and some of the usual suspects from other mob-related shows appear.
      I'm going to guess that it doesn't end pretty
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
        i watched John Wick with my wife and older son last saturday. some parts were good, but i really hated the part where he invaded the bar. maybe it's a spoiler, but i think anybody that's even seen the trailer has seen parts of this. basically the russians shoot like storm troopers. i'd give it 1 thumb up.
        We watched it last week. We found it silly entertainment. Kind of a badly done Taken meets Kill Bill meets Jack Reaker. I will watch the sequel.

Comment

• Kingsman: The Secret Service - this was a huge surprise. I expected to hate this based on the trailer, but the reviews were very positive so I thought why not. Probably the best fight sequences I've ever seen in an action movie. Silly, but really entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            Kingsman: The Secret Service - this was a huge surprise. I expected to hate this based on the trailer, but the reviews were very positive so I thought why not. Probably the best fight sequences I've ever seen in an action movie. Silly, but really entertaining.
            I was disappointed - it wasn't bad, but just meh and I expected good. The villain having a speech impediment was brilliant. And "it's not that kind of movie" was one of the better lines I've seen in a while.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• I found 2 on netflix last night

Nebraska Bruce Dern was nominated for an academy award in this beautiful movie. The black and white filing adds a simplicity and the storyline gains momentum and characters develop. Really quite touching and ends perfectly. The mother is well acted too

In Another World - a little light but still has some clever lines. The character (though not too complex) are quite believable and it just needed one more person to oversee it. - but still worth watching

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                Nebraska Bruce Dern was nominated for an academy award in this beautiful movie. The black and white filing adds a simplicity and the storyline gains momentum and characters develop. Really quite touching and ends perfectly. The mother is well acted too.
                I'm a big fan of Alexander Paine (we went to the same high school), but I thought this was his worst movie by a pretty fair margin. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood but this was a 'wtf is all the hype about' flic for me (and my wife hated it).
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  I'm a big fan of Alexander Paine (we went to the same high school), but I thought this was his worst movie by a pretty fair margin. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood but this was a 'wtf is all the hype about' flic for me (and my wife hated it).
                  I've never felt in the right mood to watch it ...

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Your mood does matter - we watched in the early evening with more snow on the ground that we should have been shoveling - a "no pressure" movie for a a no pressure evening. I found it quite touching actually

Comment

• Watched Selma tonight.

As a movie it was a bit too slow after a great set up at the beginning, it just meandered. No real standout performances. However, it really pissed me off that we still struggle with this kind of bigotry 50 years later. It's freaking shameful.

Great song at the end, Glory. Worked for me last night on the Oscar telecast and even moreso tonight after the film.

Now I have to find Still Alice to watch Moores performance.

Should be great if my friends are to be trusted..........
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Watched Whiplash last night and man, what an intense and satisfying movie. It moved ahead of Boyhood at #2 for best movies I saw from last year (Birdman's still #1).

Got to see a bunch of movies on my flights to and from Europe last week also:
                        Wish I Was Here - there was some of Zach Braff's charm, but the story was pretty trite and it was just kinda boring
                        Neighbors - solid comedy with a few laughs but nothing special
                        The Equalizer - solid action movie with some cool scenes but nothing special
                        The Hundred-Foot Journey - this one I did enjoy a bit; an Indian family sets up a restaurant in France across from a hoity toity place run by Helen Mirren which annoys her at first (those loud and garish foreigners!) although it turns out one of the Indian dudes is an awesome cook. A little sappy but still entertaining.
                        A Most Wanted Man - spy "thriller" (wasn't all that thrilling) starring Philip Seymour Hoffman based on a John Le Carre novel (same guy who did Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy which I turned off halfway through out of boredom). The acting's pretty good and there are some interesting ideas, but the payoff wasn't very satisfying.
                        Fury - definitely the best of the bunch, loved the action and the evolution of the young soldier being led by Brad Pitt; great war movie

Comment

• Selma - an OK movie. Came across more like a docudrama rather than a big screen movie. Same pace all the way through.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                            Watched Whiplash last night and man, what an intense and satisfying movie. It moved ahead of Boyhood at #2 for best movies I saw from last year (Birdman's still #1).
                            Agree on Whiplash. Might have been my favorite movie from the last year. Can't think of another movie where I dislike the characters, and yet still care about the outcome.

A Most Wanted Man - not a great movie, but a great lead performance ... and I found the central message quite interesting. But as a movie, it had so many little flaws.

Fury - I thought was great until the end ... which was a bit stupid, and not in keeping with the rest of the movie. The ending kinda spoiled it for me.

Comment

• Kingsman was a fun, fun movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                                Watched Whiplash last night and man, what an intense and satisfying movie. It moved ahead of Boyhood at #2 for best movies I saw from last year (Birdman's still #1).

Got to see a bunch of movies on my flights to and from Europe last week also:
                                Wish I Was Here - there was some of Zach Braff's charm, but the story was pretty trite and it was just kinda boring
                                Neighbors - solid comedy with a few laughs but nothing special
                                The Equalizer - solid action movie with some cool scenes but nothing special
                                The Hundred-Foot Journey - this one I did enjoy a bit; an Indian family sets up a restaurant in France across from a hoity toity place run by Helen Mirren which annoys her at first (those loud and garish foreigners!) although it turns out one of the Indian dudes is an awesome cook. A little sappy but still entertaining.
                                A Most Wanted Man - spy "thriller" (wasn't all that thrilling) starring Philip Seymour Hoffman based on a John Le Carre novel (same guy who did Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy which I turned off halfway through out of boredom). The acting's pretty good and there are some interesting ideas, but the payoff wasn't very satisfying.
                                Fury - definitely the best of the bunch, loved the action and the evolution of the young soldier being led by Brad Pitt; great war movie
                                Agree on Neighbors, The Equalizer, Hundred-Foot Journey and Fury.

Predestination was pretty damned good.

Comment

Working...
                                X