It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    I think Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Scull depressed me in its suckiness and has stuck with me long because I'm angry that it was made.
    Me too.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      I think Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Scull depressed me in its suckiness and has stuck with me long because I'm angry that it was made.
      Perhaps we should comprise new lists of depressing films using only films that star Shia Lebouf killing our beloved childhood franchises?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
        Perhaps we should comprise new lists of depressing films using only films that star Shia Lebouf killing our beloved childhood franchises?
        Wait, doesn't the depression have to be intentional and part of the story?

Because if not and just the result is depression that Crystal Skull would win that one hands down.

Hmm...new thread coming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Really?!

Blazing Saddles vs. Love Story

Caddy Shack vs Hotel Rwanda

Rocky vs. American Beauty
          Here are one of the studies for why the feeling of sadness may last longer than the feeling of happiness.

Results: Compared to the neutral condition, transient sadness significantly activated bilateral limbic and paralimbic structures (cingulate, medial prefrontal, and mesial temporal cortex), as well as brainstem, thalamus, and caudate/ putamen. In contrast, transient happiness had no areas of significantly increased activity but was associated with significant and widespread reductions in cortical rCBF, especially in the right prefrontal and bilateral temporal-parietal regions.

Comment

• actually jb, this is the rotojunkie sports bar ... you must have thought you were still at the neurosurgery sports bar site ... just pointing it out ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              actually jb, this is the rotojunkie sports bar ... you must have thought you were still at the neurosurgery sports bar site ... just pointing it out ...

Dammit! :foul:

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                My first rule of movies: Everything directed by Michael Bay sucks.
                My second rule of movies: Everything with Shia Lebouf in it sucks.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  My first rule of movies: Everything directed by Michael Bay sucks.
                  My second rule of movies: Everything with Shia Lebouf in it sucks.
                  You don't own the Special Edition BlueRay Box Set of Transformers then?

Comment

Really?!

Blazing Saddles vs. Love Story
                    take blazing saddles.

Caddy Shack vs Hotel Rwanda
                    as much as i like caddy shack, i take hotel rwanda. i've seen very few movies that affected me as much as hotel rwanda. it's deeply, deeply disturbing.

Rocky vs. American Beauty
                    also, as much as i like rocky, i take american beauty. i watched rocky a few months ago, and interestingly enough i don't find that it aged very well. at least for me. i find it more cheesy than gripping now.

but to each their own.
                    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                      take blazing saddles.

as much as i like caddy shack, i take hotel rwanda. i've seen very few movies that affected me as much as hotel rwanda. it's deeply, deeply disturbing.

also, as much as i like rocky, i take american beauty. i watched rocky a few months ago, and interestingly enough i don't find that it aged very well. at least for me. i find it more cheesy than gripping now.

but to each their own.
                      I think to be fair you would have to evaluate each movie from the first time you saw it and how it affected you. The time and place in history has a lot to do with the making of movies.

While I thought American Beauty was a very good movie, it did not come close to what Rocky was at the time Rocky came out.

I also find that I really do not often watch sad movies a second time. Brian's Song, once was enough, Old Yellar once was enough etc.

Funny or uplifting movies = multiple viewing.

Comment

• Anyone seen 2012? ... so so so awful. It is so far over the awfulness line that you have to keep watching just to see just how preposterous it will get ... it never lets you down in that regard.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          Anyone seen 2012? ... so so so awful. It is so far over the awfulness line that you have to keep watching just to see just how preposterous it will get ... it never lets you down in that regard.
                          Jumping RV's was not real enough for you?

Comment

Jumping RV's was not real enough for you?
                            It went directly from the off-road RV jumping to a Tupalev pulling out of a death dive, to continental asia shifting 1500 miles east, conveiniently allowing them to crash land the Tupalev a few miles from the unknown launch site in the Himalayas.

They may have decided to make the most ridiculous movie ever ... If so .... it was an outstanding success

Comment

It went directly from the off-road RV jumping to a Tupalev pulling out of a death dive, to continental asia shifting 1500 miles east, conveiniently allowing them to crash land the Tupalev a few miles from the unknown launch site in the Himalayas.

They may have decided to make the most ridiculous movie ever ... If so .... it was an outstanding success
                              This is one of my wife's favorite movies, but she has always been a big fan of the over the top disaster movie....her big issue is "you cant drive from LA to Yellowstone in a day without meth"
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Anyone seen 2012? ... so so so awful. It is so far over the awfulness line that you have to keep watching just to see just how preposterous it will get ... it never lets you down in that regard.
                                The movie itself was awful, but the special effects were excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                X