No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SawLincoln a few days ago...Daniel Day-Lewis is excellent as always- commanding every scene he is in. The movie, itself, focuses on Lincoln's effort to get the 13th amendment passed. The supporting cast (Sally Field, James Spader, Tommy Lee Jones etc...) do solid work as well.

The one thing that struck me is how little the politics in Washington has changed in nearly 150-years.

Comment

• End of Watch is very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
        Saw Argo this weekend. Both the wife and I liked it. I feel kind of stupid but I was sitting there thinking "I hope they make it out" when you know the history of it before you even walk in the theater.
        I left thinking I can't think of Affleck as a tool anymore, this was really good. As if scoring Jen Lopez/ Gardner didn't already quiet the tool score.

Comment

• Took the boys and their friends to see RIse of the Guardians. I was dreading sitting through it... but it turned out to be a fun movie. Good story, good "adult" laughs, glued the kids (6, 8, 9 year old boys, 11 year old girl) to the screen.
          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• I so much wanted to like Prometheus, but couldn't, just a bunch of bad decisions, by both the characters and the director, and the screenplay....Charlize was the best part, as she was in "Snow White and the Huntsman" and "Young Adult"
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Watched Prometheus the other night as well - lots of good action and some interesting plot points, but I ended up more confused than anything (they weren't too keen on spoon-feeding the audience what was going on). Overall I enjoyed it, but it could've been much better.

Went to see Skyfall tonight and came away very impressed. Great story, great performances (except the French chick, she needs some acting lessons), and cool action sequences. A bit more of a classic action thriller than your usual Bond movie, but they still included a few nifty gadgets.

Comment

• We watched Brave. Animation was jaw dropping. Story predictable but fun.

My 21 month old grandson is in love with the redheaded girl. Good family fare.

Comment

• Saw Life of Pi yesterday. Pretty awesome movie. It's jaw-droppingly beautiful and even though it moves slowly at times, it doesn't falter. I had not read the book and so got the full payoff at the end. Three generations of us went, from 19 to 88, and everyone gave it two thumbs up.

Comment

• If you guys haven't seen Journey's with George, I highly recommend it. It's a documentary by Alexandra Pelosi during W's first campaign for president. Even though its done by Nancy Pelosi's daughter, it's quite balanced. Though she skewers the media more than anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boone View Post
                      Saw Life of Pi yesterday. Pretty awesome movie. It's jaw-droppingly beautiful and even though it moves slowly at times, it doesn't falter. I had not read the book and so got the full payoff at the end. Three generations of us went, from 19 to 88, and everyone gave it two thumbs up.
                      Agreed. This movie begs to be seen in a theatre. Awesome visuals and good plot. Whether you've read the book or not (I haven't), well worth seeing.

Comment

• I really enjoyed the book so I'm glad they made a good adaptation.

I saw Lincoln and Skyfall. While both were good, neither were great.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• The family watched Authur Christmas after setting up the tree yesterday. I really enjoyed it. Worth a watch.

Comment

• Watched a pretty good one last night. Ruby Sparks is about a struggling novelist who writes about his dream girl and one day she appears out of thin air acting like his girlfriend. Obviously he's confused and freaked out, but falls in love with her since, you know, it's his dream girl. I don't want to give away any more, but it's very well written and features great performances from Paul Dano as the novelist, Zoe Kazan as Ruby (she also wrote the movie), as well as humorous bit parts by Annette Bening as his mom and Antonio Banderas as her boyfriend. It's directed by the people who did Little Miss Sunshine and while the story is way different, the feel is sorta the same.

Young author Calvin Weir-Fields (Paul Dano), once a literary darling, is having trouble composing his next novel. Following a therapist's advice, Calvin pulls out an old manual typewriter and creates a vivacious, flame-haired woman he dubs Ruby Sparks (Zoe Kazan). Overnight, Ruby leaps from the page into Calvin's home as a real flesh-and-blood woman. And, what's more, she's unaware that she's actually a fictional character and that her actions and feelings are dictated by whatever Calvin writes.

Comment

• The Master ... mesmerizing. Joachim Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman are outstanding. You'd be hard pressed to find a movie with two leads who can match these performances.

Spoiler: [The cinema scene near the end has thrown me a bit. Led me to wonder if the Hoffman character was schizophrenic and Phoenix was one of his other personalities (Fight Clubesque).]

2011 sucked, 2012 has been very good ... and still Lincoln, Django Unchained and a few other to come.
                              Last edited by johnnya24; 11-28-2012, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• Saw the trailer for Sightseers ... this looks disturbingly fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X