Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    Huh... not out here until Nov. 30.
    After the election. Throughout the movie there are clips of speeches by Obama, and occasionally Bush ... but mostly Obama. This is quite heavy handed in places, and not at all subtle. No doubt this has something to do with the timing of the US release.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      After the election. Throughout the movie there are clips of speeches by Obama, and occasionally Bush ... but mostly Obama. This is quite heavy handed in places, and not at all subtle. No doubt this has something to do with the timing of the US release.
      Wow, none of that comes over in the trailer, which looks really cool
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
        Wow, none of that comes over in the trailer, which looks really cool
        The trailers were the same here.

I thought throughout the movie it was set in Detroit for some reason. Wiki says New Orleans. I don't remember a single shot of an instantly recognizable landmark. It was dark, dank, rainy and had all the feel of a hard nosed 70's cop movie set in New York ... nothing that would indicate NO or Louisiana. It was almost like they wanted to completely displace the place of the story ... create a template of a place that could be anywhere in the America of Bush-Obama. Maybe that was the point.

From watching Treme, and just general opinion ... none of the characters in this movie seem to belong in this city. Weird. Not sure what to make of that.

Definitely not a movie I'd rush to see again because of its pacing. That's not to take anything away from it. But I reckon it will reveal a lot more on a second viewing.
        Last edited by johnnya24; 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Saw The Master starring Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix. While Hoffman and Phoenix give Oscar-worthy performances as they carry the entire movie, the movie itself leaves you scratching your head. Director, Paul Thomas Anderson, had yet to make a bad movie. While this isn't " bad ", it certainly pales to some of his other work as There Will Be Blood and Magnolia. The movie felt long-ish and lacked focus. I know some will rave about it but I can't help but feel disappointed.

Comment

• Originally posted by off_the_wall View Post
            Saw The Master starring Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix. While Hoffman and Phoenix give Oscar-worthy performances as they carry the entire movie, the movie itself leaves you scratching your head. Director, Paul Thomas Anderson, had yet to make a bad movie. While this isn't " bad ", it certainly pales to some of his other work as There Will Be Blood and Magnolia. The movie felt long-ish and lacked focus. I know some will rave about it but I can't help but feel disappointed.
            That was my thought about Magnolia - actually. it just seemed silly after a while - but the sets were beautiful

I thought There Will be Blood was tremendous

Comment

• Originally posted by off_the_wall View Post
              Saw The Master starring Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix. While Hoffman and Phoenix give Oscar-worthy performances as they carry the entire movie, the movie itself leaves you scratching your head. Director, Paul Thomas Anderson, had yet to make a bad movie. While this isn't " bad ", it certainly pales to some of his other work as There Will Be Blood and Magnolia. The movie felt long-ish and lacked focus. I know some will rave about it but I can't help but feel disappointed.
              Looking forward to this also ... anything by PTA. But I'll admit that the trailer didn't exactly blow me away. My impression was long and slow paced ... which is not necessarily a bad thing, I'll just have to make sure I'm in the right mood.

Comment

• All of PTA's movies are too long IMO (Boogie Nights is another one), except for There Will Be Blood which was long but epic. I am planning to see The Master anyways because there isn't really much else out there that looks interesting and I have a voucher I need to use before Oct 1.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  I thought throughout the movie it was set in Detroit for some reason. Wiki says New Orleans. I don't remember a single shot of an instantly recognizable landmark.
                  That usually means it was filmed in Vancouver or Toronto.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    Louisiana is trying to become Canada South in terms of huge financial incentives and easy permitting for movie shoots here in the US
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      so many movies & tv series are now filmed up here, it makes it fun for us to play "spot the Toronto landmarks". It's crazy how many movies set in NYC are actually filmed here with only the occassional Manhattan skyline shot thrown in.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Primer. $7,000 budget.

im happy to say it's a time travel movie that i had to go back to understand. and even then, im still not exactly able to comprehend the natural philosophy of the time loop. smart director.

Comment

• one person can travel back in time and not cause any causality problems, but when two ppl do, the **** hits the fan.

Comment

• i got that movie from a list of the best time travel movies ever made.

the top 20, top 50... yet it didn't list the movie disaster in time. which is definitely in the top 10.

can be hard to find
                            Last edited by ; 09-27-2012, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• Sons of Anarchy is finishing up strong, Love this series.
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                                Sons of Anarchy is finishing up strong, Love this series.
                                I could never get into it ... I've never liked shows and movies that centered around with bike gangs for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X