No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I reckon The Dictator is going to suck as a scripted movie (like most of Sasha Baron Cohen's scripted stuff) ... but his promo interviews are hilarious. This was from a live breakfast TV magazine show in Australia ... "breakfast TV ... why you have me on? ... I know you're thinking about that ..."

"... I know they are virgins because I check them with the head of my penis every night"

Setup interview with Larry King
    Last edited by johnnya24; 05-04-2012, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• That was classic.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        So I reckon The Dictator is going to suck as a scripted movie (like most of Sasha Baron Cohen's scripted stuff) ... but his promo interviews are hilarious.
        His appearance on SNL was pretty lame.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• So I'll probably give in and go and see both the movies I said I wouldn't see ... Avengers and Dictator ... both have got good reviews from sources I normally trust.

Was looking forward to Dark Shadows, but that hasn't got great reviews ... thought this was funny from The Guardian:

It whelms you. Its effect is whelming. The film delivers precisely the satisfaction a sympathetic audience could expect from its director, not one degree above or below. The audience is whelmed. It's a whelmer.
          I'm betting I like Dark Shadows best ... that's the way 2012 is going for me with regards reviews.

Comment

Guy pierce and the psycho scotsman are watchable ... luc besson sucks.

Edit: one of the worst movies ever.
            Saw Columbiana this weekend, and I now largely agree.

Comment

• Finally saw Midnight in Paris, liked it much more than Johnny did. I did not feel that Owen Wilson was doing a Woody Allen impression (save a few one-liners here and there); he was doing his Owen Wilson impression. Kenneth Branaugh in Celebrity, now THAT was a Woody Allen impression.

It's easily the best of Woody's "fantasy" movies -- e.g. A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, Everyone Says I Love You, Shadows and Fog. The characters were richly written enough to care about, and no one hammed it up or overstayed their welcome.

Comment

• Malena -- emotional, compelling Italian film set in WWII about coming of age and the non-wisdom of crowds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  Malena -- emotional, compelling Italian film set in WWII about coming of age and the non-wisdom of crowds.
                  +1 for Malena. Monica Bellucci is excellent.

Comment

• "The Fabulous World of Jules Verne" - another movie like this you will not see. Hard to describe so look it up to understand all that went into making it. Truly one-of-a kind.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Saw Columbiana this weekend, and I now largely agree.
                      Weirdly I liked Columbiana. I avoided it in the cinema because of the Besson factor ... but was pleasantly surprised when I eventually got around to it.

Comment

• In Bruges Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson (who always plays great supporting roles) as two hit men on the lam in Bruges, Belgium, awaiting their next move from their boss, Ralph Fiennes. IMDB rating of 8/10 and it was recommended to via Netflix so I took a chance on it. Pretty good flick with some surprising comedic parts in an otherwise dark movie.
                        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• In Bruges was great. Awesome city too.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I really liked In Bruges, laughed a ton, felt crushed at times...

Director has a new movie coming out either this year or next. Interesting cast.

Seven Psychopaths
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                              In Bruges Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson (who always plays great supporting roles) as two hit men on the lam in Bruges, Belgium, awaiting their next move from their boss, Ralph Fiennes. IMDB rating of 8/10 and it was recommended to via Netflix so I took a chance on it. Pretty good flick with some surprising comedic parts in an otherwise dark movie.
                              Speaking of Brendon Gleeson, he stars in a movie called The Guard, which is a funny fish out of water story. I watched it again over the weekend, and enjoyed it more than the first time ... which is rare for comedies. Costars Don Cheadle.

Comment

Speaking of Brendon Gleeson, he stars in a movie called The Guard, which is a funny fish out of water story. I watched it again over the weekend, and enjoyed it more than the first time ... which is rare for comedies. Costars Don Cheadle.
                                Just put it on the top of my Netflix queue and should get it next as City of God just got dropped into the mail... thanks for the tip, johnny
                                I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                                You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                                "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                                It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Working...
                                X