No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just watched 'The Emperor's Club' and I really enjoyed it. Kevin Kline is great as a history teacher at a prestigious prep school who tries with vary success to mold his students, including a senator's son with a serious ethics deficiency.

Really good supporting cast including Emile Hirsch, Jesse Eisenberg and Paul Dano.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Watched Apocalypto last night... heard about it for ever but never had the inclination to watch. It was on the channel I was watching as I was on the computer last night and when it began, I didn't think to change it since I was finishing up on the computer. I have to admit it kinda sucked me in to seeing the whole thing... I don't think it was a movie I could/would watch again and again, but as a one-time viewing it was interesting enough.
      I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
      You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
      "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
      It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
        Watched Apocalypto last night... heard about it for ever but never had the inclination to watch. It was on the channel I was watching as I was on the computer last night and when it began, I didn't think to change it since I was finishing up on the computer. I have to admit it kinda sucked me in to seeing the whole thing... I don't think it was a movie I could/would watch again and again, but as a one-time viewing it was interesting enough.
        I was in the same boat. After your rousing endorsement, I think I will pass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          I was in the same boat. After your rousing endorsement, I think I will pass.
          I would easily recommend Apocalypto.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Actually, I am suprised to read this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Actually, I am suprised to read this.
              Why? I thought it was highly entertaining.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Ditto. Thought it was great.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Oh, I would recommend it, Gregg... It was definitely an interesting movie... I really liked it, but if it was on and I caught it somewhere in the middle, I doubt I would watch it again and again. Just didn't seem like one of those movies that is eminently re-watchable (that's just to me)
                  I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                  You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                  "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                  It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Surprisingly, it's actually become one of those movies that I can get sucked into when channel-surfing...probably seen it 3 or 4 times now.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                      Oh, I would recommend it, Gregg... It was definitely an interesting movie... I really liked it, but if it was on and I caught it somewhere in the middle, I doubt I would watch it again and again. Just didn't seem like one of those movies that is eminently re-watchable (that's just to me)
                      Haha, we're mind-meld clashing.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Why? I thought it was highly entertaining.
                        I guess it is because I think we have some similar tastes in movies and music. The previews just didn't look good to me.

Comment

• Been watching a lot of good stuff lately.

Bananas/Take The Money And Run - Two early Woody Allen films, both highly recommended.

Goon - Weird vibe in this, as it's all set in Canada, but with American actors. I loved it, but I'm not sure how much appeal it would hold for most. Pretty dark in places, maybe in the same league as Baseketball or something, but be warned it's R comedy.

Sugar - Not what I expected at all, but I enjoyed it. It's not a sports movie though.

Dazed and Confused - I had somehow avoided watching this through my straight-edge teen years, but I'm glad that I saved it for myself.
                          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Two more awesome ones today, the incredible black and white film noir Blast Of Silence, as well as Richard Pryor's The Toy, which has the most bizarre plot ever.
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• "Life of Reilly"

Charles Nelson Reilly's one man show about his life, particularly growing up. Alternately hilarious and terribly sad. It's an instant download on Netflix.

people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Good one to watch with the kids:Microcosmos

Beautiful camera footage of common insects. There is a fight scene in the middle which rivals the one in "They Live". Another Netflix instant play.
                                people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Working...
                                X