Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    I think you are suggesting open war against Russia or assassination of their leader, which is the same.
    Not if he's taken out by Russians themselves
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      Not if he's taken out by Russians themselves
      I guess I didn't glean that from "now is the time to remove the teeth."
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

I guess I didn't glean that from "now is the time to remove the teeth."
        he's old...he removes his teeth every night before bed.

I know, I know...
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          I'm not going to guess what stupid idea you have in your head, it could be anything from assassinating Putin to starting a nuclear war. Maybe someone else wants to play your guessing game.

Honestly when you respond like this to someone who asks you to clarify you are either trolling or are just being a dick.
          I did not ask for your opinion. I was responding to revo's -

One thing about this war is that the US military, and really the entire world, are seeing the Russian military fight in real time in real circumstances. And the results have been, quite frankly, far from good. In fact, their historical strength seems to have been wildly overestimated for decades. Their tactics have been piss poor, their equipment faulty, their troop strength horrific, their leadership horrendous. Their supply chain has already been determined to be terrible.

The Russian military is proving to be extraordinarily inferior than even the most conservative estimates.

So you start with the a negative cryptic comment and then ask me what Putin pressing the button means. So I think you already have a story in your head, but I decide to ask you what you mean. This escalates to me being a Troll or a dick.

Let me help you out. I was not trolling.

I was not being a dick at the time I wrote this. I am tempted to be a dick now, but I will pass.

I am against nuclear war. It seems to have been an option/threat from Russia for a very long time. I was nine when I found out Russia had nuclear missiles pointed at us in Cuba. Now Russia has started a war and has rattled the saber of nucs. Maybe it is time for the world to unite and remove the threat.

Are you comfortable with a Putin lead Russia? Are you comfortable with his attacks on the Ukraine? Do you have family or friends in the Ukraine. Do you have anyone close to you that does? He started a fight should the world let him win?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            I did not ask for your opinion. I was responding to revo's -

One thing about this war is that the US military, and really the entire world, are seeing the Russian military fight in real time in real circumstances. And the results have been, quite frankly, far from good. In fact, their historical strength seems to have been wildly overestimated for decades. Their tactics have been piss poor, their equipment faulty, their troop strength horrific, their leadership horrendous. Their supply chain has already been determined to be terrible.

The Russian military is proving to be extraordinarily inferior than even the most conservative estimates.

So you start with the a negative cryptic comment and then ask me what Putin pressing the button means. So I think you already have a story in your head, but I decide to ask you what you mean. This escalates to me being a Troll or a dick.

Let me help you out. I was not trolling.

I was not being a dick at the time I wrote this. I am tempted to be a dick now, but I will pass.

I am against nuclear war. It seems to have been an option/threat from Russia for a very long time. I was nine when I found out Russia had nuclear missiles pointed at us in Cuba. Now Russia has started a war and has rattled the saber of nucs. Maybe it is time for the world to unite and remove the threat.

Are you comfortable with a Putin lead Russia? Are you comfortable with his attacks on the Ukraine? Do you have family or friends in the Ukraine. Do you have anyone close to you that does? He started a fight should the world let him win?
            1) when you post a question on a message board you kind of are asking for other people's opinion.
            2) You didn't ask me what I meant, you asked me to speculate what you meant. That is a strange way to hold a conversation.
            3) I'll accept that you were not trolling or trying to be a dick and thought that I posted a "negative comment". I was pointing out that your vague question was difficult to answer because it wasn't clear what you were really asking.
            4) I'm not at all comfortable with Putin and what he has done. I don't think anyone is. Which leads back to my request for clarification...what action are you asking about ? How do you propose to deal with Putin ? If you think ramping up a war against Russia or trying to assassinate or topple Putin lowers the risk of nuclear war i would question that assumption. Or maybe you are suggesting other options ? I really don't know, because your question was not very specific.

Have a good one, and I'll refrain from responding to you from here out since you are not asking my opinion.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Dang, this thread went all kinds of sideways.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                Dang, this thread went all kinds of sideways.
                It's no dog-in-the-grocery-store, but it has a little spice

EDIT - I'll add that my escalation was not really needed, so Gregg, I apologize and I'll do my best to not get frustrated and post inflammatory stuff.
                Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-07-2022, 02:10 PM.
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• The "Ukraine Peace Plan" being pushed by Putin and the rest of the bad guys almost exactly mirrors the effort put forth by shitty ol' former guy and his criminal, double agent campaign chief Paul Manafort. So while Manafort was working to insert Putin's little orange buddy into office domestically, he was simultaneously working to insert pro-Russia separatists who would hand Ukraine over to Putin. Manafort was, of course, later infamously and corruptly pardoned by the former guy for his crimes.

So I'm pretty sure we don't need to wonder why Russia didn't start this war during Trump's term - Trump would have just done his best to hand it all right over, unlike Biden.
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

The "Ukraine Peace Plan" being pushed by Putin and the rest of the bad guys almost exactly mirrors the effort put forth by shitty ol' former guy and his criminal, double agent campaign chief Paul Manafort. So while Manafort was working to insert Putin's little orange buddy into office domestically, he was simultaneously working to insert pro-Russia separatists who would hand Ukraine over to Putin. Manafort was, of course, later infamously and corruptly pardoned by the former guy for his crimes.

So I'm pretty sure we don't need to wonder why Russia didn't start this war during Trump's term - Trump would have just done his best to hand it all right over, unlike Biden.
                    Maybe I'm missing something, if Trump would have done that then why would Russia not have invaded when he was president ?
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something, if Trump would have done that then why would Russia not have invaded when he was president ?
                      Your question is why would Putin invade a country during a time when his American pals, the pro-Putin Trump crowd, were working to simply hand it over to him? Uh, doesn't that question kinda answer itself?

Comment

Your question is why would Putin invade a country during a time when his American pals, the pro-Putin Trump crowd, were working to simply hand it over to him? Uh, doesn't that question kinda answer itself?
                        I probably misunderstood what you were saying. Clearly Trump did not hand Ukraine over, so if there was going to be a war and Trump wanted to give in to Russia and Biden didn't, why did they not start the war when Trump was president ?
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I probably misunderstood what you were saying. Clearly Trump did not hand Ukraine over, so if there was going to be a war and Trump wanted to give in to Russia and Biden didn't, why did they not start the war when Trump was president ?
                          They had to wait until the Winter Olympics in China were over....

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Because, under Trump, Putin was already getting exactly what he wanted. Trump's interests were nearly exactly aligned with those of Putin up to and including withholding of military support for Ukraine, among many other things. He was the ultimate useful idiot for Putin.

Comment

Because, under Trump, Putin was already getting exactly what he wanted. Trump's interests were nearly exactly aligned with those of Putin up to and including withholding of military support for Ukraine, among many other things.
                              I don't think Putin got exactly what he wanted or he wouldn't be invading Ukraine now. If Trump would have handed Ukraine over Russia should have invaded a few years ago. That would make more sense to me. anyway, that's all water under the bridge

EDIT: To put it more clearly - If Trump was on team Russia, why not invade when you have an ally? Why wait until you have Biden as an opponent ?
                              Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-07-2022, 03:59 PM.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I don't think Putin got exactly what he wanted or he wouldn't be invading Ukraine now. If Trump would have handed Ukraine over Russia should have invaded a few years ago. That would make more sense to me. anyway, that's all water under the bridge
                                He was getting exactly what he wanted - I assumed that you knew that Trump could not literally hand over another sovereign nation to Putin even if he wanted to do so. Instead, he worked to alienate the Ukraine, defund it militarily, extort its leaders, work to weaken and/or even disband NATO, and try to instill pro-Russia lapdogs to run the country - all things 1000000% aligned with Putin's goals. Why on earth would Putin have risked undermining the greatest gift his country had been given by the west perhaps ever? And don't forget, Ukranians ended up electing Zelenskiy in April, 2019 (only two months after Rudy Guiliani's attempt to dig up dirt on Biden through pro-Russia Ukranian contacts) near the end of former guy's term and Zelenskiy, as we are all now keenly aware, is pretty far from a pro-Russia lapdog. Trump's efforts at extorting Ukraine were directed at Zelenskiy in the infamous "perfect call" for which he was impeached. When Joe Biden won, Russia lost the greatest western asset Russia had ever had. I think it's now obvious that Putin miscalculated that Biden would be weakened by the former guy's relentless efforts to bolster Russia and that the strength NATO could exert had been irreparably damaged by former guy's efforts. I bet he still thought he'd enjoy a strong bedrock of support, at least from the US Republicans, and probably thought that right up until the first couple days of his invasion - after all, his invasion was met immediately with a quote that Putin was a "genius" and the war was "savvy". And also don't forget that Trump said that he'd look to withdraw from NATO in his second term, a fucking nightmare that we barely avoided.

Comment

Working...
                                X