Obama and Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    The press are busy reporting on Putin's bombing of Syria.

Multitasking is hard.

More evidence that the press are a huge part of the problem.
    Imagine the outrage if a Russian bomb accidentally killed American aidworkers in Syria. In response to nots, I think it basically takes American deaths to get the attention of the American public. I assume there were not Americans killed or they probably would have mentioned it in the reporting.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
      I' stunned there isn't more commentary about the bombing of a hospital. I guess folks feel its the cost of doing business.
      Sad really.
      That's fucked up logic.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
        That's fucked up logic.
        No, what's fucked up logic is bombing a hospital because they don't refuse service to anyone, including our enemies.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

That's fucked up logic.
          How so?
          I think my position of us having less of a footprint in the world is a logical one. I keep the same view regardless of which party is in charge. The sooner we stop bombing stuff, I think the better off things will be in the world.

Comment

How so?
            I think my position of us having less of a footprint in the world is a logical one. I keep the same view regardless of which party is in charge. The sooner we stop bombing stuff, I think the better off things will be in the world.
            Unless I'm mistaken, you're accusing us of not commenting on it because we think "it's the cost of doing business." In other words, fucked up logic.

If that's not what you're saying, then you weren't very clear in your statement.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken, you're accusing us of not commenting on it because we think "it's the cost of doing business." In other words, fucked up logic.

If that's not what you're saying, then you weren't very clear in your statement.
              I guess I'm searching for the reason why there isn't very much outrage about it. We dropped bombs on a hospital. Innocent people died. Doctors Without Borders asked us to stop. We bombed some more.

Comment

I, for one, haven't mentioned it because this is the first i'm hearing about it and of course it's fucked. And yes we should reduce our footprint in the world when it comes to military operations.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I guess I'm searching for the reason why there isn't very much outrage about it. We dropped bombs on a hospital. Innocent people died. Doctors Without Borders asked us to stop. We bombed some more.
                  Don't judge level of outrage based on posts to this forum. Just because we didn't post anything doesn't mean we haven't expressed our anger or other emotions over the bombing by other means.

Comment

If the GOP were in power when something like this happened, things would be a lot different. There isn't the same degree of media coverage and outrage because the traditional "party of opposition" to such things (and their media machine) are in power, and the GOP and the GOP press aren't as inclined to go outrage HAM on military "mishaps" such as this ... or they don't want to look like total hypocrites.

This is why our current "phony opposition parties" such as the Democrats and Labour are far more dangerous than the GOP or Tories. They don't face real opposition when they are implementing far-right policies. Remember, it was the Democrats and Labour who deregulated the financial services industry in the late 90's that led to the financial collapse 10 years later, and our current system of borrow-bust-bailout. If the GOP or Tories had've been in power, the Dems and Labour (and their media machine) would have been obliged to oppose and debate and we wouldn't be in such a mess now. This is why neo-liberalism has evolved so rapidly. Own both parties, and get the traditional "party of opposition" to implement the big changes ... because it won't be opposed.

GOP kills school full of innocents = outrage. Dems kills hospital full of innocents = murmurs.

GOP tries to deregulate financial services = outrage from the "left". Dems deregulates financial services = crickets.

We have a completely fucked up system.

Comment

Republicans are not in the outrage business nearly as much as Democrats. Pro-Life is as close as it gets.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        Republicans are not in the outrage business nearly as much as Democrats. Pro-Life is as close as it gets.

J
                        you are so fucking deluded it is insane.....I have one word for you, Bengazi
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                          you are so fucking deluded it is insane.....I have one word for you, Bengazi
                          Can you really compare Bengazi? That was a coordinated terrorist attack with lots of background political intrigue, lying and finger pointing.

This was (tragic as it is to say) "just" another in a long line of bombing fuck ups with foreign civilians as collateral damage. Was it even a "fuck up"? They knew what they were targeting.

Actually I suppose there are a few parallels with Bengazi the way the story is unfolding (unravelling?) ... but certainly not the way the press ravaged over anything Bengazi related.

US special operations forces – not their Afghan allies – called in the deadly airstrike on the Doctors Without Borders hospital in Kunduz, the US commander has conceded.
                          The US account has now shifted four times in four days. On Saturday, the US military said it did not know for certain that it had struck the hospital but that US forces were taking fire in Kunduz.
                          Mary Ellen O’Connell, a professor of international law at the University of Notre Dame, said that according to international humanitarian law, the critical question for determining if US forces committed a war crime was whether they had notified the hospital ahead of the strike if they understood the Taliban to be firing from the hospital.

“Any serious violation of the law of armed conflict, such as attacking a hospital that is immune from intentional attack, is a war crime. Hospitals are immune from attack during an armed conflict unless being used by one party to harm the other and then only after a warning that it will be attacked,” O’Connell said.
                          Last edited by johnnya24; 10-06-2015, 07:14 PM.

Comment

I picked Bengazi as an example of GOP outrage
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                              I picked Bengazi as an example of GOP outrage
                              Yeah I realised after I posted, "oh ... This is an OJH vrs FB thing" ... should have just grabbed the popcorn rather than click the reply button.

Live and learn

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                                - The fake ACORN video
                                - The fake Planned Parenthood video
                                - Benghazi
                                - Obamacare
                                - The nuclear deal with Iran
                                - Wearing a flag pin on your lapel
                                - The Dixie Chicks
                                - Common visiting the White House
                                - Beyonce
                                - "Takin' our guns!"
                                - "Takin' our jobs!"
                                - Mt. Denali
                                - Birth control
                                - The 14th Amendment
                                - John Roberts
                                - Bill Nye and Neil DeGrasse Tyson
                                - Birthers
                                - Teleprompters
                                - Freedom fries
                                - The brown menace
                                - Gay marriage
                                - Muslims
                                - Atheists
                                - Gun control
                                - Abortion
                                - And so, so, so much more.....
                                "Off the top of my head ..."

... and almost everything on that list is irrelevant when it comes to fundamental political or economic issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X