The new COVID thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    What do you tell people who claim that the vaccines are "experimental"? I don't know enough background about the manufacture of the vaccines to debate someone about the vaccines being experimental.
    - Pfizer is fully FDA approved.
    - There's stacks and stacks of data showing the efficacy of all three vaccines, and additional data on the efficacy of boosters.
    - There's stacks and stacks of data showing side effects, potential for serious side effects, with that data available in just about any way you'd like to look at, including age, risk factors, and race.
    - There's stacks and stacks of data showing death rate and hospitalization rate for unvaccinated versus vaccinated individuals. The difference is stark.

If you're talking to someone who's sincerely asking the question, I'd also add that the data clearly shows the outcome of those who are vaccinated is much, much better - regardless of which of the three major vaccines chosen in the US - than those who are unvaccinated. Does that mean there's zero risk to getting the vaccine? Nope. But that risk is far lower than the risk taken on by the unvaccinated.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      - Pfizer is fully FDA approved.
      - There's stacks and stacks of data showing the efficacy of all three vaccines, and additional data on the efficacy of boosters.
      - There's stacks and stacks of data showing side effects, potential for serious side effects, with that data available in just about any way you'd like to look at, including age, risk factors, and race.
      - There's stacks and stacks of data showing death rate and hospitalization rate for unvaccinated versus vaccinated individuals. The difference is stark.

If you're talking to someone who's sincerely asking the question, I'd also add that the data clearly shows the outcome of those who are vaccinated is much, much better - regardless of which of the three major vaccines chosen in the US - than those who are unvaccinated. Does that mean there's zero risk to getting the vaccine? Nope. But that risk is far lower than the risk taken on by the unvaccinated.
      Thanks Chance.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I'd also add that there's no such thing as a perfectly safe / risk-free drug or vaccine - tell them to read the contraindications for Advil & they'd probably never take one again. If, despite that, they can still trust Advil, then they can trust the covid vaccines.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          What do you tell people who claim that the vaccines are "experimental"? I don't know enough background about the manufacture of the vaccines to debate someone about the vaccines being experimental. i guess that i can Google it!

Thanks.
          I lean in real close and whisper I don't care if it is experimental I have covid and I feel great cough a little and finish with it must be working.

Comment

• The CDC has the best information about combatting COVID misinformation, including the "experimental" claim. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...re-safety.html
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              I lean in real close and whisper, "If you are experiencing concerns about the COVID vaccine, consult your favorite YouTube personality."
              fixed

More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                The CDC has the best information about combatting COVID misinformation, including the "experimental" claim. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...re-safety.html
                Good stuff. Thank you for posting it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                  fixed

but the look on their face when I cough is priceless!

Comment

• I went to the Polar Express train in Colorado over the weekend with my family and some relatives. Very few people wear masks in Colorado, it seems. The train station required masks but the actual train ride itself apparently did not. It looked like several of the cars on the train were full of masked up people. Our car, however, had a bunch of folks with the telltale signs of freedumb who, predictably, didn't wear masks. Of particular note was the shitty right wing enthusiast lady who took her mask off in order to repeatedly cough at the back of my wife's head over and over.

That said, the ride was still pretty fucking magical.

Comment

• in the court cases allowing ivermectin, by the time doctors are allowed to prescribe it, the patient has already been hospitalized over a month or more. by that time it's almost too late to do anything. also, in addition to being a protease inhibitor it's also an anti-inflammatory. it's also a legal issue where if a doctor prescribes an off label drug that doesn't work and is not approved the doctor or insurance owned HMO can potentially be sued. so essentially health insurance managers are the ppl telling doctors how to treat you. whatever, enjoy your echo chamber. peace

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                        in the court cases allowing ivermectin, by the time doctors are allowed to prescribe it, the patient has already been hospitalized over a month or more. by that time it's almost too late to do anything. also, in addition to being a protease inhibitor it's also an anti-inflammatory. it's also a legal issue where if a doctor prescribes an off label drug that doesn't work and is not approved the doctor or insurance owned HMO can potentially be sued. so essentially health insurance managers are the ppl telling doctors how to treat you. whatever, enjoy your echo chamber. peace
                        Ivermectin is not administered by hospitals because there is no evidence it works for COVID and, therefore, its administration would fall below the standard of care for COVID patients. Hope that helps your understanding of what's going on!

Comment

• ideally the evidence should be in poor countries who have no other choice but to try. but even then not many are trying. I don't know, in my mind I think maybe they are captured also.

also, I was wondering why 3 month stay in the hospital for covid can cost 3 million dollars or giving birth can cost 50k. high costs have never been my problem so I never bothered to look. but now im starting to care. for me this article was a good start.
                          Why Your Health Insurer Doesn't Care About Your Big Bills https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...your-big-bills
                          If the insurance company has accurately built high costs into the premium, it can make more money. Here's how: Let's say administrative expenses eat up about 17 percent of each premium dollar and around 3 percent is profit. Making a 3 percent profit is better if the company spends more.
                          It's as if a mom told her son he could have 3 percent of a bowl of ice cream. A clever child would say, "Make it a bigger bowl."

"These insurers and providers have a symbiotic relationship..There's not a great deal of incentive on the part of any players to bring the costs down."
                          perhaps that's one of the reasons for more expensive and invasive treatments like remdesivir and minimization of even recommending more preventive care like advocating more vitamin D.

this past year has been soul crushing for me. I still believe in my liberal beliefs like civil rights, gay rights, equality, pro-choice, but everything else I militantly advocated for over 30 years has been turned upside down. it's absolutely soul crushing to think I was wrong/inaccurate. and I wouldn't recommend having everything you believed in ripped to shreds on anybody, no matter how bad the other side is. peace

Comment

• The COVID vaccine was rolled out in this country one year ago today, with a nurse getting the first shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                              ideally the evidence should be in poor countries who have no other choice but to try. but even then not many are trying. I don't know, in my mind I think maybe they are captured also.

also, I was wondering why 3 month stay in the hospital for covid can cost 3 million dollars or giving birth can cost 50k. high costs have never been my problem so I never bothered to look. but now im starting to care. for me this article was a good start.
                              Why Your Health Insurer Doesn't Care About Your Big Bills https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...your-big-bills perhaps that's one of the reasons for more expensive and invasive treatments like remdesivir and minimization of even recommending more preventive care like advocating more vitamin D.

this past year has been soul crushing for me. I still believe in my liberal beliefs like civil rights, gay rights, equality, pro-choice, but everything else I militantly advocated for over 30 years has been turned upside down. it's absolutely soul crushing to think I was wrong/inaccurate. and I wouldn't recommend having everything you believed in ripped to shreds on anybody, no matter how bad the other side is. peace
                              Americans consistently suffer from tunnel vision. The only developed nation on earth without free health care, and its turned people conspiratorial.

Look, it's a global virus. There's no financial component dictating that anybody do anything. The real swindlers are the ones with giant YouTube followings, promoting ivermectin and other made up nonsense. That's who's making bank off covid misinformation.
                              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                                Americans consistently suffer from tunnel vision. The only developed nation on earth without free health care, and its turned people conspiratorial.

Look, it's a global virus. There's no financial component dictating that anybody do anything. The real swindlers are the ones with giant YouTube followings, promoting ivermectin and other made up nonsense. That's who's making bank off covid misinformation.
                                Huh? There's no financial component for vaccine makers? Talk about tunnel vision.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X