Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    I have to admit I really don't miss those PATH commutes one bit, packed like a sardine until 23rd St. In fact, if I never see Manhattan again, I won't be upset.
    Yeah, I was on the WTC one which is extremely packed, but it was only one stop from JC. OR, if I got on in Newark, I could find a spot in the corner where I would at least get a tiny sliver of space.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      I have a vaccinated friend who is an RN. she is currently down with COVID. When the vaccines came out, they professed to be around 90%. So if enough people are vaccinated, your chance of being exposed and falling outside of that 90% is much lower. If half the population is unvaccinated, and we are no longer employing mitigating behaviors, and kids are all back in school, and there's a new version of the virus that is more contagious and nastier health-wise, your chances of being exposed and falling outside of the 90% increases dramatically. It's like you're pitching to the opposing pitcher every time you come in contact with an exposed person, yeah, it's most likely an out, but 10% of the time that guy's gonna get a hit off you. If you throw to enough pitchers, someone's gonna get a hit off you.
      I saw something about Pfizer vaccine decreasing to about 40% effective after 4 months (in Israel). Didn't do a real close look, I figure I can wait a bit more for some bad news.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      ---------------------------------------------
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        I saw something about Pfizer vaccine decreasing to about 40% effective after 4 months (in Israel). Didn't do a real close look, I figure I can wait a bit more for some bad news.
        man, I'm not going to Israel then!
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
          Pants are way overrated.
          Next to making sure you're vaccinated, this is the best advice in this thread.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            The best source I have found on international COVID data is John Burn-Murdoch, who writes for the UK Financial Times. He seemed to think the Israeli study was an outlier.

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• A GOP official from Texas who regularly espoused anti-vaccine and anti-mask views online has died from COVID-19, five days after posting a meme on Facebook questioning the wisdom of getting inoculated against COVID.

Dickinson City Council member and State Republican Executive Committee member H. Scott Apley, 45, died in a local hospital around 3 a.m. Wednesday morning, according to a GoFundMe page set up to help Apley’s family with expenses. He was admitted to the facility in Galveston on Sunday with “pneumonia-like symptoms,” and was hooked up to a ventilator as his condition worsened. His wife was also infected, the family said.

“He leaves behind his wife, Melissa, who is COVID positive, as well as their infant son Reid,” according to the fundraiser, which has so far raised almost $15,000 of its $30,000 goal. “Your donations are greatly appreciated and will help the family as they get through this difficult period.”

According to Fox & Friends, he must have "chose to die." So why should we care? Why should we contribute to a Go Fund Me? What happened to "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps?"

If that's harsh, so be it. Why should we care when someone dies because they didn't get the vaccine? They're the fools. Such a preventable tragedy.

Comment

If that's harsh, so be it. Why should we care when someone dies because they didn't get the vaccine? They're the fools.
                I understand the sentiment and basically agree. And clearly this is an extreme case where the guy was just a moron.

As I go down that line of thinking though it leads me to... I'm overweight (and I'd guess several of us here on this board are) -- my doctor tells me to change my eating habits, but I don't. If/when I die from that should I expect the same lack of sympathy as I'm giving here? It feels a little pot/kettle.

Now, if the discussion was about blaming the unvaccinated for ANOTHER person getting it, I can rationalize. But unless we are all in top shape following every health recommendation out there, it's hard not to feel like we're throwing the first rock here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  I'm overweight (and I'd guess several of us here on this board are)
                  Are you suggesting that sitting around the computer typing witty (at least in my own mind) posts is not the best workout regimen?

Comment

I understand the sentiment and basically agree. And clearly this is an extreme case where the guy was just a moron.

As I go down that line of thinking though it leads me to... I'm overweight (and I'd guess several of us here on this board are) -- my doctor tells me to change my eating habits, but I don't. If/when I die from that should I expect the same lack of sympathy as I'm giving here? It feels a little pot/kettle.

Now, if the discussion was about blaming the unvaccinated for ANOTHER person getting it, I can rationalize. But unless we are all in top shape following every health recommendation out there, it's hard not to feel like we're throwing the first rock here.
                    I totally understand what you're saying. And unfortunately, it is somewhat true. But you have to admit there is a large difference between a total and complete lifestyle overhaul, which takes years of commitment and maintenance, and a single 2-second jab in the arm that now hundreds of millions have had successfully administered.

It's like feeling empathetic towards someone who kills themselves in a car accident because they weren't wearing a seatbelt. I'm sorry, I don't equate that tossing of a minor inconvenience with the fact someone will die from being overweight.

Furthermore, he mocked it. Often. He equated a doctor working on the vaccine to a Nazi.

I see what you're saying, but I think it would take the most empathetic of individuals to feel bad for this guy, let alone contribute to his funeral expenses.

Comment

I totally understand what you're saying. And unfortunately, it is somewhat true. But you have to admit there is a large difference between a total and complete lifestyle overhaul, which takes years of commitment and maintenance, and a single 2-second jab in the arm that now hundreds of millions have had successfully administered.

It's like feeling empathetic towards someone who kills themselves in a car accident because they weren't wearing a seatbelt. I'm sorry, I don't equate that tossing of a minor inconvenience with the fact someone will die from being overweight.
                      Yes, this is true, there's a spectrum to consider (as is the case often), and these two examples are on opposite ends of it. I would say they are still on the same spectrum, and it's hard to determine where to draw the line, but you're certainly correct that there's a difference.

Originally posted by revo View Post

Furthermore, he mocked it. Often. He equated a doctor working on the vaccine to a Nazi.
                      I agree, that's ridiculous.

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      I see what you're saying, but I think it would take the most empathetic of individuals to feel bad for this guy, let alone contribute to his funeral expenses.
                      I feel bad for the guy, although part of that is just pity.

Contributing to funeral expenses because he made terrible life choices is just silly though, I agree.

Comment

Why should we contribute to a Go Fund Me? What happened to "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps?"
                        Gofundme as a healthcare solution should be an indictment of the state of US healthcare.

Comment

Are you actively encouraging others to gain weight as well?

Comment

Are you actively encouraging others to gain weight as well?
                            Eat me.

Comment

Gofundme as a healthcare solution should be an indictment of the state of US healthcare.
                              As should Breaking Bad.
                              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

I feel bad for the guy, although part of that is just pity.
                                I feel bad for his infant child, who now has to grow up without a father, and under the spectrum of his absolute stupidity.

Comment

Working...
                                X