Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    But if we are vaccinated, no worries right?
    Greatly reduced worries
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

If I had to ride mass transit in the metro NYC area right now, COVID would be low on my worry list.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        If I had to ride mass transit in the metro NYC area right now, COVID would be low on my worry list.
        I'll hold your hand, you'll be safe
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Dude....I have a child who cannot be vaccinated. So yeah, big fucking worries. Moreover, how about the thousands (millions?) with autoimmune disorders who cannot receive the vaccine or the fact that even with a rate of efficacy over 99% that still leaves LOTS of people at risk even if they have been vaccinated. My biggest fear is not that I get the virus. I am vaccinated and otherwise healthy and it's likely that my symptoms will be manageable. My biggest fear is that I contract the virus from some anti-vaxx Trump clown or whatever and then I bring it home to my medically vulnerable child.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Just before COVID, I was getting so fed up with delays and overcrowding that I started driving from my house to Jersey City (which could be 30-35 minutes without traffic, so often a good hour to 1:15 during rush hour minimum) and then either getting the ferry there or just sucking it up for one stop on the PATH train. Cost a hell of a lot more, but it was nice not having to deal with the nonsense.

Comment

Given that I have some permanently diminished lung capacity as a result of chemo as a teenager, and given that vaccines are never 100%, and given that I have two kids who are not yet eligible to get vaccinated, I'm not overly eager to be put into a position where I will be around 500 people in close quarters inside and having no knowledge as to whether all, some or none of them are vaccinated.

It's one thing if there were not the space constraints of an overcrowded courthouse (for example, I am going to a Mets game next weekend), but it is extremely tight in some of these courthouses.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                Just before COVID, I was getting so fed up with delays and overcrowding that I started driving from my house to Jersey City (which could be 30-35 minutes without traffic, so often a good hour to 1:15 during rush hour minimum) and then either getting the ferry there or just sucking it up for one stop on the PATH train. Cost a hell of a lot more, but it was nice not having to deal with the nonsense.
                Ouch....that's a lot of lost time, and I've heard the delays/breakdowns were terrible. As both you and Bene have noted, there's no reason most of that work can't be done remotely
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Ouch....that's a lot of lost time, and I've heard the delays/breakdowns were terrible. As both you and Bene have noted, there's no reason most of that work can't be done remotely
                  The PATH tends to be the best between NJ Transit, LIRR, Metro North, subway and the PATH in my experience, but it was pretty rare that the train in or out of my town was on time.

But the lost time was what motivated my boss to switch me to work from home prior to COVID which, fine by me. Pants are way overrated.

Comment

Given that I have some permanently diminished lung capacity as a result of chemo as a teenager, and given that vaccines are never 100%, and given that I have two kids who are not yet eligible to get vaccinated, I'm not overly eager to be put into a position where I will be around 500 people in close quarters inside and having no knowledge as to whether all, some or none of them are vaccinated.

It's one thing if there were not the space constraints of an overcrowded courthouse (for example, I am going to a Mets game next weekend), but it is extremely tight in some of these courthouses.
                    Yeah, outdoors baseball games do not pose a huge risk, comparatively speaking. Being stuck indoors in close quarters with groups of people on the other hand....

That's the thing with vaccination --- you are looking out for the most vulnerable in our population (as well as yourself, if that's what's #1 to you). Refusing to do so is a complete moral failure, imo. Seeing "Christian" pastors railing against the vaccine is so stunningly far away from Christ it's shocking.
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                      Dude....I have a child who cannot be vaccinated. So yeah, big fucking worries. Moreover, how about the thousands (millions?) with autoimmune disorders who cannot receive the vaccine or the fact that even with a rate of efficacy over 99% that still leaves LOTS of people at risk even if they have been vaccinated. My biggest fear is not that I get the virus. I am vaccinated and otherwise healthy and it's likely that my symptoms will be manageable. My biggest fear is that I contract the virus from some anti-vaxx Trump clown or whatever and then I bring it home to my medically vulnerable child.
                      Truly sorry about your child.

So your position is that even though you are vaccinated you believe you can pass it on to others?

I am a bit confused as I thought one of the main reasons to get vaccinated was to stop the spread of the virus. It is certainly one of the main reasons I got vaccinated. The fact that it might protect me from getting covid again is great but secondary.

I now walk around in relative freedom that I cannot give or get it. I would still petition others to get the vaccine to keep people like your child safe from harm from those not vaccinated.

Comment

So your position is that even though you are vaccinated you believe you can pass it on to others?

I am a bit confused as I thought one of the main reasons to get vaccinated was to stop the spread of the virus. It is certainly one of the main reasons I got vaccinated. The fact that it might protect me from getting covid again is great but secondary.

I now walk around in relative freedom that I cannot give or get it. I would still petition others to get the vaccine to keep people like your child safe from harm from those not vaccinated.
                        That information has been discussed several times in this thread. Vaccination reduces the severity, reduces the chances you get it, and reduces the chances that you pass it on. It does not eliminate those nor was it ever suggested that it would do so. It's never black and white.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          That information has been discussed several times in this thread. Vaccination reduces the severity, reduces the chances you get it, and reduces the chances that you pass it on. It does not eliminate those nor was it ever suggested that it would do so. It's never *close to black and white.
                          Fixed.

Comment

The PATH tends to be the best between NJ Transit, LIRR, Metro North, subway and the PATH in my experience, but it was pretty rare that the train in or out of my town was on time.

But the lost time was what motivated my boss to switch me to work from home prior to COVID which, fine by me. Pants are way overrated.
                            I have to admit I really don't miss those PATH commutes one bit, packed like a sardine until 23rd St. In fact, if I never see Manhattan again, I won't be upset.

Comment

A vaccine with 99% efficacy still means that, if 100 senators get the vaccine, 1 horrific hypocrite will still get COVID. That horrific hypocrite could, if he was so stupid, pass it on to others (children, the aforementioned immuno-compromised, etc.) who are misfortunate enough to be anywhere near him while he walks around in the Senate building while infected. Just by way of example....

Comment

I have a vaccinated friend who is an RN. she is currently down with COVID. When the vaccines came out, they professed to be around 90%. So if enough people are vaccinated, your chance of being exposed and falling outside of that 90% is much lower. If half the population is unvaccinated, and we are no longer employing mitigating behaviors, and kids are all back in school, and there's a new version of the virus that is more contagious and nastier health-wise, your chances of being exposed and falling outside of the 90% increases dramatically. It's like you're pitching to the opposing pitcher every time you come in contact with an exposed person, yeah, it's most likely an out, but 10% of the time that guy's gonna get a hit off you. If you throw to enough pitchers, someone's gonna get a hit off you.
                                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X