Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I think the wording of DiBlasio's proclamation is problematic. Not only does it say we are on lockdown until the end of what would have been the school year, in middle June, but all the way to September. It suggests that schools and daycares and by extension much else should be closed till September, which means lots of people won't be able too work until then. I think a better wording at this point would be to say the scheduled school year is cancelled, but that leaves open the possibility of getting in some schooling in over the Summer. It may not happen, but no need to proclaim that impossible just yet.
    Perhaps, but it seems like a pretty aggressive response from Cuomo—at least how his comments are portrayed in that article.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
      Perhaps, but it seems like a pretty aggressive response from Cuomo—at least how his comments are portrayed in that article.
      Yeah, they have pissing contests. I assume Cuomo was annoyed DeBlasio claimed to make a decision he does not have the authority to make, preempting Cuomo. It may come to that soon, but Cuomo didn't want to make the call yet. I agree it may be too early to make that call. A lot of students are out a lot of school. If by some miracle, we can get them in classroom for the month of July, it would be good for them.

Comment

Yeah, they have pissing contests. I assume Cuomo was annoyed DeBlasio claimed to make a decision he does not have the authority to make, preempting Cuomo. It may come to that soon, but Cuomo didn't want to make the call yet. I agree it may be too early to make that call. A lot of students are out a lot of school. If by some miracle, we can get them in classroom for the month of July, it would be good for them.
        I believe NJ has said no school past June 30 under any circumstances (and Pa has gone with online for the rest of the year).

Comment

I believe NJ has said no school past June 30 under any circumstances (and Pa has gone with online for the rest of the year).
          The teachers' unions would probably push back, but from my experience, the move home has been a move to very little instruction help. My son's kindergarten teacher has basically just given us a list of activities to do and I have no doubt our son is falling behind where he would have been if in school. Personally, I sure would like to see a little of that time lost made up in July, if possible. There is nothing sacred about the summer break. Other countries split up the school year differently. But yeah, it probably won't happen, even if the virus abates enough to make it possible. Still no reason to make that call in early April, I think. How does definitively calling it now instead of a month from now help anyone?

Comment

The teachers' unions would probably push back, but from my experience, the move home has been a move to very little instruction help. My son's kindergarten teacher has basically just given us a list of activities to do and I have no doubt our son is falling behind where he would have been if in school. Personally, I sure would like to see a little of that time lost made up in July, if possible. There is nothing sacred about the summer break. Other countries split up the school year differently. But yeah, it probably won't happen, even if the virus abates enough to make it possible. Still no reason to make that call in early April, I think. How does definitively calling it now instead of a month from now help anyone?
            Given the way he grossly mismanaged the initial response, perhaps DiBlasio was over correcting

Comment

• “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Thanatos!
                Thandanista!
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Given the way he grossly mismanaged the initial response, perhaps DiBlasio was over correcting
                  I think you are right.

Comment

• Will your state re-open as soon as Trump says so or will your state continue to Stay at Home even after Trump suggests to re open?

I know California will choose it's own time to re-open no matter what The White House suggests.

BTW can States close their borders to interstate travel? Can the require a quarantine? I'm pretty sure they can do both.
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      Will your state re-open as soon as Trump says so or will your state continue to Stay at Home even after Trump suggests to re open?

I know California will choose it's own time to re-open no matter what The White House suggests.

BTW can States close their borders to interstate travel? Can the require a quarantine? I'm pretty sure they can do both.
                      Pretty big debate about your last paragraph going on in Hawaii right now. The Gov has mandated a 14 day quarantine for anyone (even returning locals) arriving from the mainland or a neighbor island. Visitor arrivals have been cut from 30,000/day to about 100/day.
                      There has been no pushback on his authority to do that.
                      Many locals want a full scale ban on any arriving visitors. He seems to believe that isn’t constitutional, so he has not pushed for it. The difference between Hawaii and other states closing their borders is obviously arriving by car across a border or arriving on a plane at an airport where the federal government has some (most? all?) of the authority as airports are federally run, not state run. A mainland governor would probably have a better option to close borders than Hawaii (or Alaska).
                      The Visitor Aloha Society of Hawaii has used its newly formed COVID-19 flight assistance program to send back nine travelers so far, including visitors from Denver and from Guam.

Comment section on all the Star Advertiser articles are very interesting. Locals seem pretty United and think Ige should try to ban all visitors.
                      Very interesting question you raise.
                      Last edited by nots; 04-11-2020, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Pretty big debate about your last paragraph going on in Hawaii right now. The Gov has mandated a 14 day quarantine for anyone (even returning locals) arriving from the mainland or a neighbor island. Visitor arrivals have been cut from 30,000/day to about 100/day.
                        There has been no pushback on his authority to do that.
                        Many locals want a full scale ban on any arriving visitors. He seems to believe that isn’t constitutional, so he has not pushed for it. The difference between Hawaii and other states closing their borders is obviously arriving by car across a border or arriving on a plane at an airport where the federal government has some (most? all?) of the authority as airports are federally run, not state run. A mainland governor would probably have a better option to close borders than Hawaii (or Alaska).
                        The Visitor Aloha Society of Hawaii has used its newly formed COVID-19 flight assistance program to send back nine travelers so far, including visitors from Denver and from Guam.

Comment section on all the Star Advertiser articles are very interesting. Locals seem pretty United and think Ige should try to ban all visitors.
                        Very interesting question you raise.
                        I know NV has instituted a 14 day quarantine, one of the reasons I didn't think to go see my kids in Vegas and advised them not to visit here--we're all healthy after a few weeks of stay at home, but you never know, just stopping for gas along the way or McDonalds can change everything.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Texas has a 14-day quarantine for anyone arriving from Louisiana. Enforcement is the responsibility of the arriving individual.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                            Texas has a 14-day quarantine for anyone arriving from Louisiana. Enforcement is the responsibility of the arriving individual.
                            The second sentence just makes me laugh
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              I know NV has instituted a 14 day quarantine, one of the reasons I didn't think to go see my kids in Vegas and advised them not to visit here--we're all healthy after a few weeks of stay at home, but you never know, just stopping for gas along the way or McDonalds can change everything.
                              depends on where you live, if you liver in the boonies, you are probably ok, but if you live in a city you aren't. just going to a gas station inside in a city you aren't.

but i would say you aren't safe anywhere. when you go out in public you have to have a measure of trust. and honestly, you can't trust anyone. it's the incubation period of the virus, even if people are total dumb-asses, it's just too long of an incubation period. you are taking your life or older people's lives in you own hands and leaving it up to chance.

Comment

• It's spread to most of the boonies now as much as the cities.
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X