Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another good, but depressing, read.

Some will emerge from this crisis disrupted and shaken, but ultimately stable. Others will come out of it with much more lasting scars.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
      those were the first diagnosed cases. That doesnt mean it wasnt already spreading without us knowing.
      You didn’t answer the question. Why would those traveling have been the first diagnosed? If there were people here for months that matched the symptoms why would they not test them once they had the tests?

Comment

• The XFL, which had a promising start but had to shut down amid the pandemic, just fired all its employees and won't be returning for the '21 season. XFL, RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          They actually know a lot more than most people realize. This is an interesting site

https://nextstrain.org/
          thanks, I'll take a look.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            You didn’t answer the question. Why would those traveling have been the first diagnosed? If there were people here for months that matched the symptoms why would they not test them once they had the tests?
            That is my answer, I dont believe those were the first people get infected in the US.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• I looked it up, because I did not know exactly when the first reported US case was. It was Jan 20th, 2020, a person who just came back from China to Washington: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001191

The first reports of this disease anywhere were in Wuhan, and the best we have been able to figure, the first case was on November 17th: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...se-traced-back

Given how small such a thing starts before the spread, I doubt there were many, if any, cases in the US before that Jan 20th case. Certainly not much earlier, as this whole thing only started two months before our first reported case.

If we had locked everything down back on Jan 20th, and started testing every traveler into the country, we could have prevented the massive spread of this thing, which has led to the US being the worst hit country in the world for this. Our response was late and the most ineffective of any country in the world. We didn't start producing masks back then, or tests, we didn't take the measures needed to stop infected travelers coming into the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I looked it up, because I did not know exactly when the first reported US case was. It was Jan 20th, 2020, a person who just came back from China to Washington: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001191

The first reports of this disease anywhere were in Wuhan, and the best we have been able to figure, the first case was on November 17th: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...se-traced-back

Given how small such a thing starts before the spread, I doubt there were many, if any, cases in the US before that Jan 20th case. Certainly not much earlier, as this whole thing only started two months before our first reported case.

If we had locked everything down back on Jan 20th, and started testing every traveler into the country, we could have prevented the massive spread of this thing, which has led to the US being the worst hit country in the world for this. Our response was late and the most ineffective of any country in the world. We didn't start producing masks back then, or tests, we didn't take the measures needed to stop infected travelers coming into the country.
                Shouldn't everyone that has been infected from that date to March 15 either be over it or dead whether they were tested or not? Whether they went to a doctor or not?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  Shouldn't everyone that has been infected from that date to March 15 either be over it or dead whether they were tested or not? Whether they went to a doctor or not?
                  Probably most cases last less than three weeks i think...where are u going with this ?
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I recently read article about how 90% of those that die of COVID-19 have preexisting conditions, but then I looked at what they were counting as preexisting conditions and while the article itself did not state this, to me, it made the data meaningless. The vast majority of the preexisting conditions they are counting are cases of hypertension and obesity. I knew we were a fat country, but by the newest guidelines, nearly 3/4 of the country has hypertension. So, yeah, the fact that most people have a pre-existing condition means nothing, since most people have one in the US.

Comment

• US has more than 500,000 cases now.

Comment

• Someone mentioned something on twitter, which if true, would explain why the official "recovered" numbers are so low compared to the case totals. They said that people only get counted in the "recovered" totals if they are hospitalized and subsequently released. If you recover at home, you aren't counted. I don't know if that's accurate, but it makes sense. The act of testing positive gets recorded by a laboratory and passed on to the state. The act of being hospitalized and being released from the hospital is tracked. But recovering at home is never officially tracked by any official agency.
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• LA extending Lockdown until Mid May.
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            LA extending Lockdown until Mid May.
                            I started working from home on 3/5. Seattle closed schools on 3/12. At that time there were about 100 new cases and 3 reported deaths every day. Currently about 400 new cases per day and about 25 deaths every day. Things aren't getting worse....but they are still way worse than a momth ago. So nowhere near ready to go back to normal life.

Many more cars out on the road than 3 weeks ago i think. Hopefully no bump in cases
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I went for a walk around the neighborhood tonight with my wife, and we both remarked how quiet it was. Then after a bit we realized that it was because we couldn't hear the normal sounds of traffic.
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                                I started working from home on 3/5. Seattle closed schools on 3/12. At that time there were about 100 new cases and 3 reported deaths every day. Currently about 400 new cases per day and about 25 deaths every day. Things aren't getting worse....but they are still way worse than a momth ago. So nowhere near ready to go back to normal life.

Many more cars out on the road than 3 weeks ago i think. Hopefully no bump in cases
                                At the same time so many people can't get by without a paycheck. I wish our governments were more prepared and prioritized helping people who need it
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X