Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I think you are referring to Nikolai Petrovsky of Flinders University. RHD spells out his claims in post 2100. Another voice to not dismiss, although there again, there are conflicting reports.
    There are conflicting reports, but two papers submitted by experts on two different continents for peer review certainly illustrates this isn't some madness-driven conspiracy theory. There may well be some differing conclusions, but the issue of this coming from a lab certainly has solid backing.

So nully was right on this one.

Even if it was made in a Wuhan lab (which again, evidence does not yet support), I'm not sure what will come of it.
    While I concur that nothing will happen, if it was made in the Wuhan lab, this would be very, very different than either scenario you listed. Even if I accepted that the House of Saud was a state actor in 9/11, it was still an act of conventional warfare. And if I'd accept the House of Saud was a state actor in 9/11, the the CCP is certainly the state actor in the spread of the virus - they lied and misdirected about the source and severity, they clearly used the WHO to spread faulty information, threatened medical supplies, and have blamed the US for the creation of the virus. That, by comparison, is an act of biological warfare. Should we decide to answer in kind, there is only one response from the US, and that would involve nuclear winter.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      There are conflicting reports, but two papers submitted by experts on two different continents for peer review certainly illustrates this isn't some madness-driven conspiracy theory. There may well be some differing conclusions, but the issue of this coming from a lab certainly has solid backing.

So nully was right on this one.

While I concur that nothing will happen, if it was made in the Wuhan lab, this would be very, very different than either scenario you listed. Even if I accepted that the House of Saud was a state actor in 9/11, it was still an act of conventional warfare. And if I'd accept the House of Saud was a state actor in 9/11, the the CCP is certainly the state actor in the spread of the virus - they lied and misdirected about the source and severity, they clearly used the WHO to spread faulty information, threatened medical supplies, and have blamed the US for the creation of the virus. That, by comparison, is an act of biological warfare. Should we decide to answer in kind, there is only one response from the US, and that would involve nuclear winter.
      Making us all BunkerBoyz
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

However, there is evidences that suggest the virus jumped earlier and was not so well adapted initially but mutated to be so. It is a question we certainly need to be asking and we need answers to. The vast majority of researchers I have seen claim it likely developed naturally, and that is where I'm at until I see more concrete evidence (not just conjecture, which is all I've seen on the human-made side) but not all the evidence is in yet, and the jury is still out.
        this is an interesting point. the mutation rate. what does it potentially mean if it mutates slower or faster? that's something you can compare to other viruses. the argument now is if it mutates slower it's lab escaped, but if fast it's natural. and I am not even sure if that's right. but that is something you can compare. they say, although it seems to be changing fast in small ways, it's pretty stable. there's also the chance that it's impatience as it takes a long time for viruses to adapt.

theoretically, either way our species will obtain the upper hand against this virus and defeat it. and the way science is these days, it's not the 20th century. which is why we experiment in the first place. still, it makes our species feel like cowboy's. waiting to the last minute to perform some miracle. I am kind of drunk still right now, heh. someday as a species our luck is going to run out. but not today.

Comment

• Another stats update as of 7:46 AM today. Last stats were from 6/8 at 7:46 AM, exactly 7 days ago:

- 2,162,406 cases in US, up from 2,007,531, an increase of 7.71% which is a much smaller increase than last time (9.25%). The new cases for this period were 154,875. A comparison w last period's new cases (169,953) gives a new cases increase rate of 0.911, which is much lower than that of the last update (1.240). Altho some states are seeing a surge in cases, this doesnt look to be true for the US overall so no 2nd wave yet, fortunately.
          - 117,859 deaths in US, up from 112,471, an increase of 4.79% which is a much smaller increase than last time (5.91%). The US mortality rate is now 5.45%, lower than last time (5.60%).
          - 7,967,177 cases worldwide, up from 7,063,462, an increase of 12.79% which is smaller than last time (13.19%). At the current rate of increase, the world projects to hit 10,000,000 cases by about June 29. The new cases for this period were 903,715. A comparison w last period's new cases (822,969) gives a new cases increase rate of 1.098, which is higher than last time (1.074). This rate remains well above 1.00.
          - 436,033 deaths worldwide, up from 406,448, an increase of 7.28% which is much smaller than last time (8.60%). At the current rate of increase, the world projects to hit 500,000 deaths by about June 29. The world mortality rate is 5.47%, which is lower than last time (5.75%).
          - 218 countries/territories/etc. have confirmed cases w suspected cases in 2 others (North Korea, Turkmenistan). There are only 10 countries, all of which are South Pacific Island republics, that have neither reported nor have suspected cases: Kiribati, Marshall Is., Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Samoa, Solomon Is., Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu. The vast majority of countries have at least 1 death, w Uganda having the most cases w no reported deaths, 705.

Case rates of increase were smaller than last time for both the world and the US. Cases continue to surge in Russia, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Mexico, the Middle East, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and South Africa.

Comment

• According to our stable genius, “if we stop testing now, we’d have few cases, if any.”

That’s not from The Onion. I swear.

Comment

• A major breakthrough in treatment--a steroid that saves lives in severe cases; it reduces deaths by a third: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...OUf?li=BBnb7Kz

Comment

A major breakthrough in treatment--a steroid that saves lives in severe cases; it reduces deaths by a third: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...OUf?li=BBnb7Kz
                and best news of all, it's not a new drug. There's a part of me worried about going down the thalidomide path again ... so it's very good to hear about existing/known drugs being relevant.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• According to that troll Laura Ingraham, Dr. Fauci is now a part of the "medical deep state."

I finally get it! The "deep state" actually consists of non-partisan people who use their experience, knowledge and facts to push truthful, helpful and useful ideas to all parties -- except the racist scumbucket in the White House!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    According to that troll Laura Ingraham, Dr. Fauci is now a part of the "medical deep state."

I finally get it! The "deep state" actually consists of non-partisan people who use their experience, knowledge and facts to push truthful, helpful and useful ideas to all parties -- except the racist scumbucket in the White House!
                    Yeah, I've long thought another interpretation of the "deep state" isn't some ominous cabal of evil villains behind the curtains pulling strings, but the career professionals that make sure everything doesn't go all to hell when the new figure heads come in and go out with each election cycle. Guys like Fauci. Trump has purged a lot of component folks that have served D and Rs before him, because they didn't pass his loyalty test. He has replaced many of them with incompetent nincompoop yes-men. But that passes for draining the swamp for his supporters.

Comment

• And this is why I don’t trust contact tracing in the hands of the government:

I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

And this is why I don’t trust contact tracing in the hands of the government:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/16/2...ivacy-invasion
                        We are already way past that brother.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Completely agree. I don't want any part of that. It seems to me that when they are saying 70% of people will get COVID-19 at some point, there is no reason to worry about contact tracing. You take as many precautions as possible, but you know you might get it at some point.
                          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Yeah, things like this will encounter fierce resistance in places like the US that value privacy rts. But this issue is here to stay. Will be a balance between privacy concerns and other important things like public health, terrorism and crime.

Comment

• Will Beijing become a 2nd Wuhan?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Initially, China said the virus was spread thru salmon. But transmission from mammals to fish supposedly is impossible. Later, it was found that likely the virus was spread thru cutting boards on which the salmon was cut and that the cutting boards got contaminated thru contact w infected people. But China already is restricting salmon imports. And, of course, they are blaming the spread on foreigners, just like they always do. They tested 1940 people that worked at the market and 45 were infected, which is a 2.3% rate. Probably wont be nearly as sever as the outbreak in Wuhan. But China already is imposing new lockdowns and restrictions, including many locations in China banning travel both from and to Beijing. This is particularly concerning to China because Beijing is where the government is and some think that some government officials already have fled Beijing. China is trying to do a lot of things both internally and internationally at a time when they are having many serious problems. As bad as things are in the US now, China I think is even more of a mess.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                                As bad as things are in the US now, China I think is even more of a mess.
                                What's sad is that there's even a comparison to be made.

Comment

Working...
                                X