Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    It confirms a lot of what we know about the failures of this administration to properly identify and respond to this threat in the early going. We have finally begun taking the necessary steps now, though. It will be too late to save thousands, but I'm still anxious to see when what we are doing now will start to take effect. It has not yet. The spread is still as speedy as ever. We won't know how bad this first wave will be until we are well on the other side of this peak.
    I see us having cascading peaks because of the totally haphazard response since Trump doesn't have the courage or intelligence to nationalize our response.
    Last edited by DMT; 04-04-2020, 04:01 PM.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      So is life going on more or less normally in Iowa ? Are restaurants and theatres open for example?
      Restaurants can only do take out. Theaters, hair salons and the like are closed. I went out early this morning to get a few grocery essentials figuring I'd get there as they open and this was the first time I saw anyone wear masks. I'd say 5-10 percent were in the 2 stores I made it to. Only 1 store person was wearing them. I work in the Ag industry so we will continue working through this. I've limited myself to 1 very quick shopping trip per week for only essentials.

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
        Restaurants can only do take out. Theaters, hair salons and the like are closed. I went out early this morning to get a few grocery essentials figuring I'd get there as they open and this was the first time I saw anyone wear masks. I'd say 5-10 percent were in the 2 stores I made it to. Only 1 store person was wearing them. I work in the Ag industry so we will continue working through this. I've limited myself to 1 very quick shopping trip per week for only essentials.
        Sounds like update NY. If all non-essential businesses are closed, I'm not sure of the difference between Iowa and other states.

Comment

Sounds like update NY. If all non-essential businesses are closed, I'm not sure of the difference between Iowa and other states.
          Hopefully a larger percentage of the population in other states are taking it more seriously than they are here.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            I see us having cascading peaks because of the totally haphazard response since Trump doesn't have the courage or intelligence to nationalize our response.
            Bingo.

The Trump administration's decision to let states chart their own responses to the coronavirus crisis rather than impose a national strategy will cost thousands of lives and is likely to result in an open-ended outbreak rolling across the country, a dozen public health experts told NBC News.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

In the absence of state-wide mandates, perhaps the closures in Iowa are decided by county. Or just another politician passing the buck.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                Only eight states have not issued stay-at-home orders. All of them have Republican governors.

Arkansas
                Iowa
                Nebraska
                North Dakota
                South Carolina
                South Dakota
                Utah
                Wyoming
                The top seven states in death toll from COVID-19 account for 5,876 of the 8,094 reported deaths so far - 73 percent. All of them have Democratic Governors.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  The top seven states in death toll from COVID-19 account for 5,876 of the 8,094 reported deaths so far - 73 percent. All of them have Democratic Governors.
                  You post this as if it has any sort of relevance? Please explain.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

The most populous states have the biggest death toll...sounds reasonable.

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                      The most populous states have the biggest death toll...sounds reasonable.
                      you're halfway there. I'm sure you can get to the finish line!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

you're halfway there. I'm sure you can get to the finish line!
                        Your response looks idiotic but I'm giving you the chance to explain.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• I figured when I made my post that it might open eyes to the problem with the previous post.

as noted, it's not terribly surprising that, in general, the bulk of the death toll is in more populated states (although so far New York is absolutely crushing the other large states including R Texas). so pointing to the fact that the top 7 have Democratic governors and leaving it at that is an incomplete observation, at best.

so far, so good, right?

similarly, just noting that the 8 states without statewide stay-at-home orders all have Republican governors and leaving it at this an incomplete observation, at best. (once again, population - but more importantly, per square mile.)

fair to say?

I have no idea if you have spent much time out West, but to call much of it "vast and sparsely populated" would be a crazy understatement. I once drove 1,100 miles in one week up and down the state of Utah and never crossed a state border. it's pretty eye-opening.

also, say, Montana might have stay-at-home orders in a county or two that has cities. might be a good idea to include the neighboring county, too.

but it's not just in the movies where, if an unrecognized person shows up in some of those small towns - well, they're not going to be there for long - and that exit will be long before they get within six feet of anybody.

the other problem is that "no stay-at-home orders" definitely appears to be misleading, at best, just from this thread.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                            Probably by more than that. Several estimates I've seen is that Wuhan's actual deaths were 40-50,000. And one estimate was 190,000, which would be over 70 times the reported death toll.

Edit: And to support that last statement, here's a video that says China has ordered 100-200,000 body bags from Taiwan:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhzF-5xELOE
                            In this case, I'll agree with WaPo - they're cross-check makes most sense to me. I must have misread the "official" Chinese government figures on Wuhan - thought it was just above 4,000.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I figured when I made my post that it might open eyes to the problem with the previous post.

as noted, it's not terribly surprising that, in general, the bulk of the death toll is in more populated states (although so far New York is absolutely crushing the other large states including R Texas). so pointing to the fact that the top 7 have Democratic governors and leaving it at that is an incomplete observation, at best.

so far, so good, right?

similarly, just noting that the 8 states without statewide stay-at-home orders all have Republican governors and leaving it at this an incomplete observation, at best. (once again, population - but more importantly, per square mile.)

fair to say?

I have no idea if you have spent much time out West, but to call much of it "vast and sparsely populated" would be a crazy understatement. I once drove 1,100 miles in one week up and down the state of Utah and never crossed a state border. it's pretty eye-opening.

also, say, Montana might have stay-at-home orders in a county or two that has cities. might be a good idea to include the neighboring county, too.

but it's not just in the movies where, if an unrecognized person shows up in some of those small towns - well, they're not going to be there for long - and that exit will be long before they get within six feet of anybody.

the other problem is that "no stay-at-home orders" definitely appears to be misleading, at best, just from this thread.
                              Ok fair point that those states are less dense. Nonetheless, Fauci has publicly endorsed the full national lockdown and it makes little sense at this point to gamble with lives by not doing so. And those states do have urban centers: SLC, Omaha, Charleston, Little Rock, and Des Moines to name a few.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                                In this case, I'll agree with WaPo - they're cross-check makes most sense to me. I must have misread the "official" Chinese government figures on Wuhan - thought it was just above 4,000.
                                Total reported deaths for all China is only 3326. I saw another video that said total for Wuhan was something like 2600 or so. That's the figure I was using.

Comment

Working...
                                X