No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did you know that poetry and science and institutions are the same as having a lottery to vaccinate people. it's because people can't make their own decisions. they let fate do it. let physicists that deny freewill ponder that.

did you know someday, no-one will be driving. it will all be automated. I could be crazy and say that's why you can drive 80 by a cop and not get pulled over and get a ticket. but really that is because everyone is driving 80 now. but with cameras giving tickets. the days where everyone drives slow and stacks up behind each other, and you start doing it too, will be missed.

don't drive behind trucks, they have big tire treads and pick up pebbles. crack windshield.

Comment

• I had a grand idea. we could create a basic income system. but have a lottery to incentivize people to work. I think the public would fall for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
        let physicists that deny freewill ponder that.
        They're probably Presbyterians, too.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• on the lottery idea, if you've never seen the movie The Island with Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson. it's a pretty good movie.

you know, it's kind of reassuring to know you can enough money at whatever problem and it will be solved. if you really think about it, lotteries are the total solution to everything.

Comment

• I like to put Godzilla shows on TV for the cats. I try to get them to think creatures like Rodan and Godzilla exist. I've always wanted to take my cat to the zoo. have them see Tigers and Elephants for real. I imagine you'd have to ask the zoos permission first and you'd have to keep them on a leash or in a travel container. it'd be like a field trip. I don't think they'd like it. actually I have no idea what they would think.

Comment

• it could end up like Planet of the Apes. where they never realized Tigers or Gorillas existed. after, they form a government with the tigers and take over the world. humanity becomes enslaved and Charlton Heston goes back in time and blows the planet up after finding the stature of liberty. and it would be my fault for taking my cat to the zoo.

Comment

• with the lab leak theory in the news again I found these 2 articles to be interesting. one was about having 4 positive amino acids in a row being really unlikely in nature but covid having it. I really don't know. the daily mail which is anti China I think, had a decent summary https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dy-claims.html
                'The laws of physics mean that you cannot have four positively charged amino acids in a row. The only way you can get this is if you artificially manufacture it,' Dalgleish told DailyMail.com.
                and the bulletin of atomic scientists, which is a doomsday site after all, had a may 5th article https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-...-box-at-wuhan/

I always thought the two biggest questions were why was the virus well adapted for human to human transmission and the furin cleavage feature. these guys are saying Sars1 only made 21 changes from bat to civets to human to human. I don't know how much covid changes but I assume a lot. it's possible tomorrow an intermediate host is found. so how many zoonotic airborne viruses were already well adapted for human to human transmission when they were first discovered? just one example would be good enough. I don't think bird flu or swine flu can do it. but those are also systems being monitored. Sars and Mers were more deadly, supposedly, which makes it easier to detect and contain.

I guess the best question is if the virus was natural and in a short time frame it originally emerged already well adapted for human to human transmission, are there other undiscovered viruses circulating in nature that can also do it. if so how many and where are they.

Comment

• something I am starting to notice is when you say consciousness is a feature of the universe, it seems to solve a lot of other questions.

like AI becoming Skynet. is it possible to make computers self aware. quantum computing should eventually work right? seems like enough computing power. but if you can't make Skynet, that solves the do we live in the Matrix theory problem. there's no reason to say we are just copies and copies of digital universes.

it solves the multiple universe theory problem. that we are the inevitable result of dice being thrown and the deck of cards reordered like when you get a new deck. I forget how it was explained but if it was possible for the universe to cheat when creating constants or calculating the odds of something happening. it would put things with impossible like odds into the doable range. I don't know how it would cheat, but right now there are scientists analyzing the cosmic backround radiation for literal signs that say 'Joe was here' or 'Ha Ha I fooled you'. which I find reassuring.

it also seems like an idiotic idea. that even elementary matter has some form of consciousness. it's not a very high number. how is spooky action at a distance explained, wormholes? is it really too difficult to detect the graviton? why do mathematical equations from games theory repeatedly show up in cosmology. I suspect a lot of science problems would be solved if you say we live inside a blue eyed giant named Macumber. in Westeros.

Comment

• I don't really read that much news. https://www.currentaffairs.org/2021/...id-19s-origins

I don't really see what the end game is by knowing one way or another. you could say in both cases, natural or unnatural, knowing makes it worse. maybe the origins should be covered up or undiscovered. doesn't seem like it would make of a difference.

Comment

• here's another more technical summary https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2102/2102.03910.pdf

here a 103 page study on possible origins. https://www.researchgate.net/publica...virus_Pandemic
                      Last edited by ; 06-01-2021, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• it's sort of starting to freak me out but it's taken a year and a half and people are accepting me where I am with the old guy here. there's actually two old guys here. another moved in in an RV. he's having trouble with his AC. surprisingly it requires 30 amps. he's building the bricks on a million dollar house, mostly the masonry work. and I signed up as a laborer. 'I had nothing better to do.' it's weird watching society. it's hard to explain. fly over country is actually kind of cool.

I could be a real asshole and say getting vaccinated is requiring everyone with 2 kidneys to to people with one kidneys one. or I could say this whole this is like going underneath the hood of your car to fix a power steering pump and find the previous mechanic broke the bolt on the tension arm pulley... that people are so fucked

but if I had one song to describe everything it would have to be Hall and Oats.

Comment

• I had a moment where the old guy asked me about trying to sell his tractors online. first of all I was always scared to have outsiders here. and then he'll just smash any computer I get him. but it is on the agenda.

Comment

• come on, you know something is wrong when they are giving away shotguns to get vaccinated. this turned into a frigging lottery, and no-one even said anything. ..did I wake up in a twilight zone.

Comment

• and don't say I am amazing. I already know I am amazing while I sit here pissing in empty 5 gallon oil cans. and don't get me started about the ins and outs of pissing in containers.

I don't know. while I seem to be some kind of bridge between two worlds, it's not Stockholm Syndrome.

it's a larger gap. I don't think it can be bridged.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                                it's sort of starting to freak me out but it's taken a year and a half and people are accepting me where I am with the old guy here. there's actually two old guys here. another moved in in an RV. he's having trouble with his AC. surprisingly it requires 30 amps. he's building the bricks on a million dollar house, mostly the masonry work. and I signed up as a laborer. 'I had nothing better to do.' it's weird watching society. it's hard to explain. fly over country is actually kind of cool.

I could be a real asshole and say getting vaccinated is requiring everyone with 2 kidneys to to people with one kidneys one. or I could say this whole this is like going underneath the hood of your car to fix a power steering pump and find the previous mechanic broke the bolt on the tension arm pulley... that people are so fucked

but if I had one song to describe everything it would have to be Hall and Oats.
                                This seems more like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X