Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    I would like to say we are making big strides, but we are not.

I think both Mrs. Gregg and I are past the scary stuff, but we have these hanging on irritants. We both get so tired if we do any activity that is more than an hour. Lots of sleep for her. Napping in between work projects for me. My cough is the same dry and hanging on. Unless I am on cough medicine, talking induces coughing spells. She is prone to stomach aches and nighttime headaches.

I talked with the Doctor about the cough yesterday. She said unless my chest hurts (it does not) I just need to ride it out.

Mrs. Gregg said she felt slightly better this morning. Not sure what that exactly means, but I am grateful to hear it.

It has been almost 5 weeks one would think we would be over it by now.
    My continued wishes for a full recovery for both of you.

Comment

• mRNA technology is a pretty big gun to take out of your arsenal. I always liked the idea. this is definitely balls to the wall type of stuff. there are a lot of first times and do or die types of things going on.

they say 700k people died in the 1918 in US. smaller population and less advanced. this event will develop pan-vaccines against the common cold and flu. biology couldn't be better positioned to take on the challenges of the future.

Comment

• At a number of concierge medical practices in Southern California, doctors say they've received calls from their wealthy clients asking if they can have early access to the extremely limited supply of vaccine doses in exchange for a financial contribution to a hospital or charity.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• we haven't even started to get into the debate yet of the logistics of distribution being FUBAR.

from the RV guy's perspective being a squad commander, I went AWOL. I lose the initiative every time my mission involved saving an animal. he knows this about me. I am the type of soldier when you look in my bag, you'll either find a bunch of heads or a bunch of kittens.

life is so wonderful. it really is. heh

Comment

• dogs and cats are in an evolutionary battle to see which one can be more beneficial to humans. for example, after cuddling with my cat all night, in the morning she left a dead bird for me. it was a pretty bird, if I was a bird watcher. not much of a meal. but in the snow, she just told me if she had to, she'll eat everyday. OTOH a dog, has to hunt with you, and won't leave you presents.

it's too bad really, as great as cats are, they would never be able to realize how much more dogs are beneficial to our survival.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
              we haven't even started to get into the debate yet of the logistics of distribution being FUBAR.
              They've done better than I expected actually. Given how rushed the whole program was, you just knew logistical planning and execution was going to suffer. That doesn't mean there haven't been screw-ups - yup, there's been plenty - but I really thought this would be far more hosed up than it actually is.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Another stats update as of 7:46 AM today. Last stats were from 12/14 at 7:46 AM, exactly 7 days ago. Mortality rate is figured using the current death total divided by the total cases from the update 3 weeks ago (11/30).

- 18,267,579 cases in the US, up from 16,737,267, an increase of 9.14% which is a smaller increase than last time (10.41%). The new cases for this period were 1,530,312 which gives a 7-day daily average of 218,616, down from 225,391. A comparison w last period's new cases (1,577,738) gives a new cases increase rate of 0.970, lower than that of the last update (1.120). The current test positivity rate is 11.36%, lower than that of the last update (11.56%) but still way above the WHO threshold figure of 5.0%. Total CV-19 hospitalizations are 113,663, up from 109,331, an increase of 3.96% over last week which is a much smaller increase than last update (7.73%), and the hospitalizations have declined for 3 straight days for the 1st time since late September. Currently, there are 19 states that have an R-naught below 1.0, more than the 11 in the last update, but still the overall US R-naught probably is above the recommended threshold of 1.0. The values for the different states range from 0.78-1.24.
                - 324,869 deaths in the US, up from 306,459, an increase of 6.01% which is a slightly smaller increase than last time (6.08%). The new deaths for this period were 18,410. The mortality rate is 2.36% (324,869/13,751,337), lower than last time (2.43% (306,459/12,590,220)). The mortality rate for the week's new deaths is 1.59% (18,410/1,161,117), higher than last time (1.44% (17,553/1,223,006)). The latest 7-day daily average # of new deaths is 2,613, up from 2,427 7 days ago. The "increase" in average daily deaths over the prior week is 7.7%, whereas the increase in average daily cases from 3 weeks ago over the prior week was 11.8%. The 3-week increase in deaths is 19.0% (324,869/273,101) whereas the increase in cases from 6 weeks ago to 3 weeks after that is 33.6% (13,751,337/10,292,492).
                - 77,298,673 cases worldwide, up from 72,780,616, an increase of 6.21% which is a smaller increase than last time (7.78%). The new cases for this period were 4,518,057 which gives a 7-day daily average of 645,437, down sharply from 750,577. A comparison w last period's new cases (5,254,042) gives a new cases increase rate of 0.860, which is much lower than last time (1.214).
                - 1,703,318 deaths worldwide, up from 1,622,209, an increase of 5.00% which is about the same increase as last time (5.00%). The new deaths for this period were 81,109 which gives a 7-day daily average of 11,587, up from 11,042. The mortality rate is 2.70% (1,703,318/63,200,402), slightly lower than last time (2.74% (1,622,209/59,112,307)). The mortality rate for the week's new deaths is 1.98% (81,109/4,088,095), higher than that of the previous period (1.85% (77,291/4,168,783)).

New case rate increases went down for both the US and the world and the rate of increase in new cases over the prior week also went down for both. Mortality rates for new cases went up for both the US and the world. For the US, the R-naught seemed to decrease, the test positivity rate went down and altho the CV-19 hospitalizations continued to rise, they continue to rise at a slower rate, all good signs.

Cases continue to surge in Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Croatia, Belarus, Moldova, Russia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Panama, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Canada, Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, South Korea, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Lebanon, Palestine and Pakistan. And cases have surged recently in Egypt, South Africa, Nigeria and Lithuania. But case increases have dropped recently in Hungary, Serbia, Ukraine, Myanmar, Georgia and Jordan.

Comment

• While not fully recovered yesterday was our best day yet. We were able to get our Griswold Tree decorated .

Tummy issues for Mrs. Gregg have subsided. Some energy for her has come back.

My energy is back to about 80%. The coughing is definitely getting better with less need for cough medications.

I can't help wonder if we will be immune to Covid for some number of days? I have read different reports.

I wonder if we are stronger or weaker moving ahead. This kicked our butts pretty hard. It is hard to imagine we are stronger.

Comment

While not fully recovered yesterday was our best day yet. We were able to get our Griswold Tree decorated .

My energy is back to about 80%. The coughing is definitely getting better with less need for cough medications.

I can't help wonder if we will be immune to Covid for some number of days? I have read different reports.

I wonder if we are stronger or weaker moving ahead. This kicked our butts pretty hard. It is hard to imagine we are stronger.
                    Good to hear!

Comment

• More good news: The EU approves the Pfizer vaccine:

The European Medicines Agency (EMA) approved the BioNTech-Pfizer coronavirus mRNA vaccine on Monday. It means the mass vaccination of some 450 million people...

Inoculation is expected to begin 12/27-12/29.

Comment

While not fully recovered yesterday was our best day yet. We were able to get our Griswold Tree decorated .

Glad to learn you are doing better. It is a good reminder that the symptoms of COVID are more severe than the side effects of the vaccine (I'm hearing a lot of folks nervous about the vaccine, because it does show at least mild side affects of fatigue and the like for as many as 80% of people). As far as you needing to get the vaccine, I just read an article on that....medical professionals do recommend it, eventually, although the latest I have read is that 90% of people who get COVID do develop natural immunity that extends at least 6 months as far as they can tell so far. So, your chances of reinfection any time soon is very small, especially since you got hit hard by this and the 10% or so that don't develop immunity are mostly asymptomatic cases. But I too have read different things over the last few months. That info is just from the latest one I've read.

Comment

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Great to hear Gregg!
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Hope you're fully recovered soon! All the blessings on you and yours this Christmas season!
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                                Just read an analysis that u.s. will average 2000 deaths per day starting in about 3 weeks. And that is without further spread, it is already a done deal. And cases are rising extremely rapidly, so likely to be much worse than 2000. The government response at all levels does not seem adequate
                                In the 40 days since you posted this, about 77,000 people have died of COVID. In the worst 40-day period back in April-May, about 79,000 people died. Sad that we had a second wave (or whatever you want to label it) of this severity. When this wave is done, it's going to be a lot worse than the first one was. I'm glad the vaccines are coming; can't get out to people soon enough.

My wife's best friend's mother is in the hospital on a ventilator. The toll from this thing is just too much.
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X