No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just FYI, a cursory look at Pfizer's CEO's 2020 political donations shows most to Republican candidates for Senate (including McConnell) and the WinRed PAC, with a couple of Dems smattered in there. Although the timing is indeed 'curious', if his donations are of any help, it would have likely been before the election. I'm sure they did have info it was going well, but didn't want to make an impact on it (much to Dumpy's dismay). Cue the angry calls to Pfizer's CEO now.....

Comment

• under the category of "logistical challenges", apparently the pfizer vaccine has to be stored at -80 degrees ... maybe it's a good time to invest in deep freezer technology?
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Another record today: 135,574 new cases, according to WorldoMeters. And American Samoa now has some cases so all US territories have cases now.

Edit: 139,855 cases according to the NY Times data.
        Last edited by rhd; 11-11-2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Texas just became the first US state to hit 1 million cases of Covid-19 according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

And 19,337 people there have died, according to the university.

California has the second-highest number of cases in the US, with 989,432.

If Texas, which has a population of about 29 million people, were its own country, it would now be ranked 10th in terms of total identified cases of Covid-19.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            under the category of "logistical challenges", apparently the pfizer vaccine has to be stored at -80 degrees ... maybe it's a good time to invest in deep freezer technology?
            Here's an article about that from August 3, 2020:
            https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-if-we-get-one

United Parcel Service Inc. is building two giant freezer farms capable of super-cooling millions of vials of a Covid-19 vaccine, preparing for the day when it will need to deliver the medicine at high speed across the globe.

The facilities, under construction in Louisville, Kentucky, and the Netherlands, near UPS air hubs, will house a total of 600 deep-freezers that can each hold 48,000 vials of vaccine at temperatures as low as -80 Celsius (-112 Fahrenheit). That’s on par with some of the coldest temperatures in Antarctica.
            Distributing a Covid-19 vaccine -- if one is approved for use -- will be the second huge logistical challenge spawned by the pandemic for delivery giants UPS and FedEx Corp., which earlier this year mobilized to airlift thousands of tons of protective gear across the world for health-care workers. This time the job is moving fragile vials of medicine under exacting conditions for the world’s best shot to stamp out the coronavirus and restore economies to normal.

“This truly will be a historic supply chain feat to distribute millions, if not billions, of life-saving Covid-19 vaccine vials to far-reaching global populations,” said Wes Wheeler, president of UPS Healthcare. “Lives will depend on us to get these vaccine deployments right, and we’re well-prepared to support all of these efforts until this pandemic is behind us.”
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
              Another record today: 135,574 new cases, according to WorldoMeters. And American Samoa now has some cases so all US territories have cases now.

Edit: 139,855 cases according to the NY Times data.
              Just read an analysis that u.s. will average 2000 deaths per day starting in about 3 weeks. And that is without further spread, it is already a done deal. And cases are rising extremely rapidly, so likely to be much worse than 2000. The government response at all levels does not seem adequate
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                Just read an analysis that u.s. will average 2000 deaths per day starting in about 3 weeks. And that is without further spread, it is already a done deal. And cases are rising extremely rapidly, so likely to be much worse than 2000. The government response at all levels does not seem adequate
                But, on the plus side, we stood up bravely for the cause of freedom by refusing to wear a mask.

And, of course, this is not to say that masks are the be all, end all, but the amount of mask refusal I've seen even just in my small town in liberal New Jersey is crazy.

Comment

My county just got downgraded from California Orange (more openings, outdoor bars okay, etc) to Red (some non-essential closures, limited seating etc). But never fear, our County leadership has declared that they won't be enforcing the governor's mandate and that business owners can do whatever they want/need to stay afloat.
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I seriously doubt that deaths will be that high in only 3 weeks. The average for last week (as of Monday) was 1,039 and that was a 21.4% increase over the previous week. To go from 1,039 to 2000 in 3 weeks, the rate of increase would have to be about 24.4%. for 3 weeks straight. I dont think that the weekly increase in average daily deaths has been that high for 3 weeks straight since April.

Comment

• Another new record today: 142,808 new cases according to WorldoMeters.

Edit: 142,856 according to NY Times.
                      Last edited by rhd; 11-12-2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I seriously doubt that deaths will be that high in only 3 weeks. The average for last week (as of Monday) was 1,039 and that was a 21.4% increase over the previous week. To go from 1,039 to 2000 in 3 weeks, the rate of increase would have to be about 24.4%. for 3 weeks straight. I dont think that the weekly increase in average daily deaths has been that high for 3 weeks straight since April.
                        You can Google Trevor Bedford twitter and read for yourself. I am not saying he is right....but I won't be surprised if he is unfortunately.
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

You can Google Trevor Bedford twitter and read for yourself. I am not saying he is right....but I won't be surprised if he is unfortunately.
                          NYT shows 1400 deaths in most recent daily count. 2000 does not seem unreasonable based on increasing number of cases. I certainly hope he is wrong

Edit: what has been the recent increase in cases? Is it 24%?
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

NYT shows 1400 deaths in most recent daily count. 2000 does not seem unreasonable based on increasing number of cases. I certainly hope he is wrong

Edit: what has been the recent increase in cases? Is it 24%?
                            NYY shows a 69% increase in cases over 14 days ago....
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

We already have a huge increase in cases, more than 24 % on a weekly basis.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

We already have a huge increase in cases, more than 24 % on a weekly basis.
                                That's cases, not deaths. Deaths are not rising nearly as fast as cases.

Comment

Working...
                                X