Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    On the floor? Is no one helping him out? He at least deserves a bed.
    I don't know if I can stand this again...……..
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Tout Wars in NYC this weekend cancelled

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Tout Wars in NYC this weekend cancelled
        This is getting serious now. How long before MLB games get canceled? They are already talking about moving the Mariners home games to Arizona.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
          This is getting serious now. How long before MLB games get canceled? They are already talking about moving the Mariners home games to Arizona.
          They might postpone games, but I don't get why they would cancel any when tv money is in play. I know if they play the games in empty stadiums, they lose money, but there is still so much tv money in play. Given they play an outdoor game with not a lot of direct close contact, it seems to be a job without a ton of risk, if they don't have to interact with thousands of fans. I'd think they play in empty stadiums or postponed games before the canceled games.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            At work....
            everyone you know is a potential carrier.

the good new is the US is so spread out compared to Europe. if you are in a rural area.

Comment

• so you guys think this is like judgement day. hmm

you guys are overreacting now.

before it was like hey, watch out. and now it's like relax, it will be ok.

it's a giant herd mentality.

Comment

• Government offices are always behind the private sector at adapting, but my boss just announced that we may "pilot" a work-from-home day for our Operations team tomorrow. I hope it sticks, as I'm not thrilled about continuing to commute daily via commuter bus and subway.

Comment

• The NYC Auto Show, always the harbinger of spring, is being postponed until August.

It's just a matter of time before MLB starts postponing games.

Comment

The NYC Auto Show, always the harbinger of spring, is being postponed until August.

It's just a matter of time before MLB starts postponing games.
                    They may. But with the tv money and the seemingly smaller risk of playing a non-contact outdoor sport, especially if there are no fan interactions--it seems to make sense to play them in empty stadiums, unless they think they can make them all up later. But this thing is going to be around awhile. The postponements will pile up and I think you'd eventually face the decision of cancel vs play them with no fans in the stands anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      They may. But with the tv money and the seemingly smaller risk of playing a non-contact outdoor sport, especially if there are no fan interactions--it seems to make sense to play them in empty stadiums, unless they think they can make them all up later. But this thing is going to be around awhile. The postponements will pile up and I think you'd eventually face the decision of cancel vs play them with no fans in the stands anyway.
                      I am thinking along the lines u r i think. No fans so low risk, but people can watch on tv. If they cancel it seems like it will be really bad, which is certainly possible
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Gotta start using bullet points:

- GS Warriors will play in an empty arena
                        - SF has joined Seattle and banned gatherings of more than 250 people
                        - the XFL game in SF will also be played in an empty stadium
                        - the NCAA "First Four" games will also be played in an empty arena
                        - Houston shut down the annual "Houston Rodeo" festival midway through the event, that attracted 2.5m attendees last year

Comment

• Chinese officials say they’ll have a coronavirus vaccine ready next month for emergency situations and clinical trials.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• This virus epidemic will lead to a severe, hopefully short, recession both here in the US and globally (at least in the EU).

Look at Italy - the whole country is shut down. No one is working, no one is travelling there, no one is getting paid. How long will that last? How will the Italian government be able to support itself, as well as paying its global debt obligations? Britain is no longer in the EU. Germany has its own problems. Who will help out Italy? No one.

In the US, it's just starting. Large gatherings are being cancelled. Lots of tourist dollars lost. Business that have an international presence will be getting killed on overseas sales, as well as imports. Then they won't be able to pay their staff and will start layoffs. And why not, headcount is up anyway. Other companies will absorb large amounts of sick time and see production plummet.

Once it starts to impact here in the US, who will be going to restaurants, stores, malls, bars, amusement parks, gyms, wherever? Who would want to travel now, both here and abroad? The travel industry -- airlines, cruises, hotels, and all of its periphery industries -- will get killed. It's not so much the fear of getting sick, but the fear of getting stuck.

How many mom&pop shops will get destroyed because of a lack of tourism?

Even with the sports cancellations, think of all those affected -- the staff, paid by the game; the concession hawkers, etc. No need to advertise at the arena if there ain't no one showing up. All that revenue lost. Great, the teams still get TV revenue, but how does the guy selling beers make money? Unemployment will shoot up because of the "gig" economy getting punched in the gut.

Hopefully things get back to normal in a few weeks or a couple of months, but who knows?

I hope it doesn't play out like this, but what's to stop it?

Comment

This virus epidemic will lead to a severe, hopefully short, recession both here in the US and globally (at least in the EU).

Look at Italy - the whole country is shut down. No one is working, no one is travelling there, no one is getting paid. How long will that last? How will the Italian government be able to support itself, as well as paying its global debt obligations? Britain is no longer in the EU. Germany has its own problems. Who will help out Italy? No one.

In the US, it's just starting. Large gatherings are being cancelled. Lots of tourist dollars lost. Business that have an international presence will be getting killed on overseas sales, as well as imports. Then they won't be able to pay their staff and will start layoffs. And why not, headcount is up anyway. Other companies will absorb large amounts of sick time and see production plummet.

Once it starts to impact here in the US, who will be going to restaurants, stores, malls, bars, amusement parks, wherever? Who would want to travel now, both here and abroad? The travel industry -- airlines, cruises, hotels, and all of its periphery industries -- will get killed. It's not so much the fear of getting sick, but the fear of getting stuck.

How many mom&pop shops will get destroyed because of a lack of tourism?

Even with the sports cancellations, think of all those affected -- the staff, paid by the game; the concession hawkers, etc. All that revenue lost. Great, the teams still get ad revenue, but how does the guy selling beers make money? Unemployment will shoot up because of the "gig" economy getting punched in the gut.

Hopefully things get back to normal in a few weeks or a couple of months, but who knows?

I hope it doesn't play out like this, but what's to stop it?
                              This is the stuff that has been running thru my head the last 2 weeks. It is really hard to imagine what all will happen.

Last night my daughter's college in LA decided to go online. Today my daughter's hi school in Seattle did the same. The next couple months are going to be different. Hopefully we can get control of this.
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Sour Masher's fear came true -- all SUNY & CUNY schools to close for the remainder of the spring semester and operate remotely, as per Gov. Cuomo. Each school will handle their own dorm issues, but obviously, all the kids likely have to leave.

Think of all those businesses reliant on local college kids that just got crushed.

Comment

Working...
                                X